What's wrong with this (Katrina) picture?

Page 1 of 1 [ 11 posts ] 

Neuroman
Veteran
Veteran

02 Sep 2005, 6:52 am

I went looking for pictures because some stories are crying "oh, the humanity," and others are saying the oil industry is recovering, and I am thinking, what the heck? The oil industry is being strained because it was already running flat out to address exceptionally strong demand for oil. Hm.

OK, how many SUVs are people driving that they don't need?
How is our increased use of gas and other oil product affecting global warming which is creating more intense weather like hurricanes?

As usual, the relief comes from the poor tax: money from the government which comes from our taxes. Money from us, as we empty our pockets to contribute to relief efforts. Wonder how much the auto industry, power companies and oil magnates are contributing? If they got Donald Trump involved, they could rebuild really quickly.

I am having a hard time with all the threads here saying we should help. Granted, even I am part of the problem, as I drive a car and use electricity. But I am not making any money from those activities. This is a vicious cycle. I think we should figure out a way to get these rich folks to give up some of their profits to help fix the mess they created.

Is there any part of the popular media that is addressing this? I am not familiar with where to look for this kind of reporting.

if you are going through hell, keep going.
Winston Churchill

hale_bopp
Veteran
Veteran

02 Sep 2005, 6:59 am

Where's the picture? :?

Neuroman
Veteran
Veteran

02 Sep 2005, 7:19 am

It's a word picture.
I am not good at picture pictures.

Neuroman
Veteran
Veteran

02 Sep 2005, 9:54 am

FYI the Autism Society of America sent me an email to say they have presence in the area of the disaster and are looking for donations.
This seems like a good idea - that they are there. I can imagine that all varieties of autistic people are struggling down there with no one who understands what is going on for them.
I am thinking about sending them a donation because they may have a specific purpose for the money.

Winston Churchill

BeeBee
Veteran
Veteran

02 Sep 2005, 10:09 am

Neuroman wrote:
I am thinking about sending them a donation because they may have a specific purpose for the money.

That's a good idea. As I was reading your initial post I was thinking that you might be more comfortable with donations to organizations that address the root cause of proverty/enviromental issues/civic concerns. But you have found an even better idea.

Quote:
This is a vicious cycle. I think we should figure out a way to get these rich folks to give up some of their profits to help fix the mess they created.

Is there any part of the popular media that is addressing this? I am not familiar with where to look for this kind of reporting.

Well, I see several different important points in your initial post...overusage of a limited resources like gas....enviromental concerns like global warming...how to finance the recovery...the gulfs between the haves, the have nots, and the middle...making taxes (more) progressive...

*I* believe the mainstream press is covering these issues but not in the interelated way you are. Slate.com had an interesting article on why so many of the victims of the hurrican are black, for example. Our local paper often has editorials or articles on enviromental concerns. It also has a very active letter to the editor section where people can send artilce lenght letter. Many of these topics are discussed there.

My thoughts are that YOU should write a letter/artlce for your local paper. You have given this thought and write well.

BeeBee

Neuroman
Veteran
Veteran

02 Sep 2005, 11:24 am

writing here feels safe.
writing out there fills my heart with fear, because if you let people know that you exist and have an opinion, they come and find you and talk to you.
i am very shy.

Winston Churchill

NeantHumain
Veteran
Veteran

02 Sep 2005, 11:30 am

The oil refineries on the Gulf coast did take a hit, but you're right. It would be grand if the oil companies would accept some losses. It's the patriotic thing to do!

ed
Veteran
Veteran

02 Sep 2005, 5:22 pm

NeantHumain wrote:
The oil refineries on the Gulf coast did take a hit, but you're right. It would be grand if the oil companies would accept some losses. It's the patriotic thing to do!

Are you kidding? They will reap profits this quarter that will dwarf the huge profits they've already been making .

They are bloodsuckers. :twisted:

Sean
Veteran
Veteran

02 Sep 2005, 6:05 pm

I know SpaceCase is in that area somewhere, but does WP have any other active members in Louisiana or Mississippi?

Neuroman
Veteran
Veteran

04 Sep 2005, 7:54 am

Just saw a news brief on movies stars and Donald Trump giving to the relief effort.
I still have questions. The stars have budgets and gave what I thought was a lot given their various incomes. Trump is a billionaire, yet gave a tiny percentage of his money.
Have yet to hear that the oil companies, who aren't suffering any losses (they passed them on to us), are giving anything at all.
There's still something wrong with this picture....

Winston Churchill

Neuroman
Veteran
Veteran

04 Sep 2005, 10:46 am

And here is a link to a brochure by the American Meteorological Society on - guess what? The impact of global warming on the intensity of hurricanes and the ability of New Orleans to recover from a category 4 or 5 hurricane...
http://www.ametsoc.org/atmospolicy/docu ... rFlyer.pdf
The first report of this kind that I could find was published in 2001.

Wronger and wronger.

Winston Churchill