Page 1 of 1 [ 8 posts ] 

Would you play a game that is both FPS and RTS?
Yes 60%  60%  [ 3 ]
No 20%  20%  [ 1 ]
Depends (please list your criteria) 20%  20%  [ 1 ]
Total votes : 5

iamnotaparakeet
Veteran
Veteran

08 Jan 2008, 10:45 am

This is concept level only.

What would you think about a game that is a Real time strategy genre for command players while it would be First person shooter on the unit level? Maybe having chance for promotion based on criteria.

What would be some additional ideas and opinions?

WurdBendur
Veteran
Veteran

08 Jan 2008, 2:33 pm

It would have to mesh really well, or it's just two games stuck together. Also, I would really prefer the FPS part, so I wouldn't want to be promoted to a different kind of gameplay that I wouldn't enjoy as much. As long as the command players are allowed to play on the field while simultaneously commanding units, it could work.

And by "the field", I mean the battlefield/arena/dungeon/labyrinth, wherever you get to shoot people.

I guess that's my criterion. Being promoted should only add gameplay options and never take them away (unless, of course, they don't work there).

iamnotaparakeet
Veteran
Veteran

08 Jan 2008, 4:15 pm

Maybe a side by side view? A map with increasing control per rank on one side and the battle view on the other? I'm thinking this may be like the LandWarrior system. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Land_Warrior

How would that bode with you?

WurdBendur
Veteran
Veteran

08 Jan 2008, 5:05 pm

Sounds like it could be interesting. I think it's just a matter of working out how to control both at the same time. The mouse is best for aiming and shooting, which takes away the possibility of clicking on the map while fighting. looks like keyboard control is the way to go.

As for the game itself, I'd love to give it a try.

iamnotaparakeet
Veteran
Veteran

08 Jan 2008, 5:58 pm

WurdBendur wrote:
Sounds like it could be interesting. I think it's just a matter of working out how to control both at the same time. The mouse is best for aiming and shooting, which takes away the possibility of clicking on the map while fighting. looks like keyboard control is the way to go.

Maybe keyboard controls for requesting new units and other simple commands, but giving destinations I think only a mouse could do right. Between people they could use microphones and headphones for verbal communication, but with the AI it would probably need to be clicked on a map.

WurdBendur wrote:
As for the game itself, I'd love to give it a try.

I would love it if I could make it now, but... I'm just now learning Java, so I don't think it would be anytime soon. However, I would like to refine the idea and see what people like and don't like.

WurdBendur
Veteran
Veteran

09 Jan 2008, 1:58 am

iamnotaparakeet wrote:
I would love it if I could make it now, but... I'm just now learning Java, so I don't think it would be anytime soon. However, I would like to refine the idea and see what people like and don't like.

All things in time. :) Though I'm not sure Java is the best tool for the job. It's just as powerful as any of the big languages (C, C++, etc), but it's usually not implemented in a way that makes it practical. I don't want to hear a spiel about how Java isn't slow anymore because it still is, whatever people say. It's not the fault of Java, but I think a game like this might have to be done on a very small scale if you intend to use Java.

Panzyo
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

09 Jan 2008, 5:53 am

Hasn't some company already been developing an FPS/RTS for some time now?

Maybe I'm misunderstanding, but I thought I'd throw that out there.

TheAPERSON
Veteran
Veteran

09 Jan 2008, 7:05 am

A beat 'em up/RPG would work well in my opinion.