Hurricane Katrina: The Beginnings of Something Awful?

Page 1 of 2 [ 27 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next

NeantHumain
Veteran
Veteran

02 Sep 2005, 1:12 pm

New Orleans is a complete disaster. The city has fallen apart. The problems at the Superdome are continuing at the Astrodome in Houston, Texas. Refined oil prices are shooting through the roof even more. The high oil prices could criple the U.S. economy. If the rioting and lawlessness spreads from New Orleans and the Gulf coast, the whole country could descend into bad times. The military is already stretched too thin in Iraq, Afghanistan, and elsewhere. Could we be seeing the end of the U.S.'s global hegemony? Might the United States again have to become just another player on the international scene? Will we Americans finally have to learn to conserve what we have instead of engaging in pointless consumerism? Honestly, I'm a little bit worried about what will become of the economy before President Bush's term is finally over. And then we won't have much sympathy from other countries because the Bush administration shot itself in the foot with Iraq. I doubt the U.S. will tumble to Third World status, but we might be cut down to size.

ascan
Veteran
Veteran

02 Sep 2005, 2:57 pm

I've not bought a newspaper for a while because I've been busy, but I did watch the news on the BBC, ITN and Fox, earlier this evening. It was quite disturbing. I think a lot of people need to sit back and take a long hard look at the way things are in both your country, and ours here in the UK.

If I was in the US, I'd be asking Sean for advice on automatic weapons.

stlf
Veteran
Veteran

02 Sep 2005, 3:40 pm

NeantHumain wrote:
I doubt the U.S. will tumble to Third World status, but we might be cut down to size.[/b][/color]

god I hope so.

but a truely tragic way for it to occur if it in fact does

Sean
Veteran
Veteran

02 Sep 2005, 4:46 pm

This thread is subversive. The American public is utting forthe the same unity they did during WWII and 9/11. It's the government that hasn't got up off their theumbs and got out of their command bunker in NW Virginia to see what needs to be done yet. The Amrican public will do what's needed to fix this. I'm planning on taking some money out of my shotgun fund for the relief effort, but I want to wait and see which organization will make the best use of it. Or, if there's a WP member in the region that needs assistance, I might send a care package or wire money instead.

TheBladeRoden
Veteran
Veteran

02 Sep 2005, 5:02 pm

I don't know about the downfall of the whole U.S. yet, but I can easily see this situation possibly turning into a Escape From New York type scenario

ed
Veteran
Veteran

02 Sep 2005, 5:12 pm

Sean wrote:
This thread is subversive.

Oh, come on, Sean. What, are you going to turn us in to the Department of Homeland Security? Maybe get us sent to Guantanamo, or worse? This thread is no more subversive than the warts on my a**! :evil:

stlf
Veteran
Veteran

02 Sep 2005, 5:27 pm

Quote:
This thread is no more subversive than the warts on my a**!

It should be noted here that the warts on ed's a** have already been convicted of selling state secrets to the Red Chinese and are now active members of an al quaeda sleeper cell in new Zealand

Last edited by stlf on 02 Sep 2005, 5:28 pm, edited 1 time in total.

RobertN
Veteran
Veteran

02 Sep 2005, 5:28 pm

Its very worrying. Bush is sending the US into chaos. I never used to bear grudges against the US government, but Bush just seems to do everything wrong, from the Iraq war, to his own domestic and economic policies. If he had not cut flood defense spending in places like New Orleans, a good many of the deceased might still be alive now. It does make me angry.

Sean
Veteran
Veteran

02 Sep 2005, 6:01 pm

The money for the levies has been cut by many administrations. The bush administration is only responsible for a small fraction of the blame.

stlf wrote:
It should be noted here that the warts on ed's a** have already been convicted of selling state secrets to the Red Chinese and are now active members of an al quaeda sleeper cell in new Zealand

ROFLMAO!! !
:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

ed
Veteran
Veteran

02 Sep 2005, 6:03 pm

Sean wrote:
ROFLMAO!! !
:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

me too! :lol:

Scoots5012
Veteran
Veteran

02 Sep 2005, 11:24 pm

We'll get over this. Seeing as how bush is an oil man, once they get the water out of new orleans, I'm sure he'll see it to be top priority that the petroleum infrastructure is rebuilt before anything else.

Bush's response to this has been lax at best. Things could have been done 10 times better than what they have been.

Mithrandir
Veteran
Veteran

03 Sep 2005, 12:04 am

Why does the gulf coast have record high water temperatures?

vetivert
Veteran
Veteran

03 Sep 2005, 1:31 am

global warming, according to scientists reporting for the BBC.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/sci/tech/4671535.stm

what frustrates me so much is that blair has immediately offered some of the UK's reserve of oil to the US. for christ's sake, if global warming IS partly to blame, wouldn't it be logical to STOP using so much oil? try sending food and water, blair, which is what the PEOPLE need, not bloody oil.

but hang on... oh dear - how naive of me. bush is an oil man, is he not? silly me. well, he got voted in, and now he's allowing thousands to die, or to live in ghastly conditions.

/me rushes off to join ed's warts for a quick demonstration and march.

Mithrandir
Veteran
Veteran

03 Sep 2005, 2:04 am

Just what I thought too.

That was recent, July 11 2005. Can't say they weren't warned.

RobertN
Veteran
Veteran

03 Sep 2005, 7:34 am

Someone should kick that idiot (Bush) out of power. Surely if the Senate held a vote of No Confidence against him, they could get him out early.

At best he is Lazy and careless, at worst, he is tyrant and mass murderer.

Ante
Veteran
Veteran

03 Sep 2005, 8:09 am

Deleted

Last edited by Ante on 09 Nov 2005, 8:09 pm, edited 1 time in total.