Page 1 of 1 [ 8 posts ] 

BubbaHoTep
Toucan
Toucan

11 Jan 2008, 1:42 am

I normally don't get worked up about news stories, but this one just breaks my heart. I can't stop thinking about the poor toddler. And I can't believe none of the neighbors saw anything or heard anything or came to help.

http://www.upi.com/NewsTrack/Top_News/2008/01/10/boy_found_dead_next_to_moms_body/4381/

http://www.cnn.com/video/#/video/us/2008/01/10/mom.kid.found.dead.kptm?iref=videosearch

ShadesOfMe
Veteran
Veteran

11 Jan 2008, 2:12 am

:( :( so sad.

bheid
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

11 Jan 2008, 3:57 am

that's, like, designed to be the saddest news story ever. if it had a dying kitten, it would be perfect.

BubbaHoTep
Toucan
Toucan

11 Jan 2008, 8:54 am

That's probably how I would have looked at it before I had a child of my own.

Now, the thought of anything bad happening to my son or anyone else's child is horrifying beyond belief. This story just tears me up inside. And knowing that before he died the poor little guy ransacked all the kitchen cabinets he could reach looking for food makes it worse.

Rest in peace Zeke.

LiendaBalla
Veteran
Veteran

11 Jan 2008, 11:43 am

Yeah, that can happen.

KristaMeth
Veteran
Veteran

11 Jan 2008, 10:10 pm

Wow. My heart.

That is horrible.

Wow.

gwenevyn
l'esprit de l'escalier
l'esprit de l'escalier

11 Jan 2008, 11:08 pm

BubbaHoTep wrote:
Now, the thought of anything bad happening to my son or anyone else's child is horrifying beyond belief. This story just tears me up inside. And knowing that before he died the poor little guy ransacked all the kitchen cabinets he could reach looking for food makes it worse.

Yes.

When I read this news story last night I couldn't even reply. I cried like somebody I knew had died.

When I was living in my own apartment with my toddler, this was one of my fears. Every time I got sick (or bumped my head, or whatever), I would phone a relative and ask that person to call in a few hours and make sure we were okay. It just makes me feel physically awful inside, thinking about that poor baby so hungry and thirsty and dying all alone. The part that makes me want to cry again right now is how he crawled over and lay next to his mommy when he was about to die.

Those of us who have kids should always make sure to have a safety plan to ensure that something like this doesn't happen. It's especially important for those with AS to think about because many of us tend to be fairly isolated. If I were living alone right now and I died in my sleep, I don't think anybody would find me for days or even weeks, because they are used to not hearing from me very often.

BubbaHoTep
Toucan
Toucan

12 Jan 2008, 3:20 pm

We've though about that too. Fortunately being married the chance of something happening to both of us is pretty unlikely. Even still, I gave a copy of our house key to my parents (they live here in town) and they will stop by and check if they don't hear from us for a day or two.

The funeral was today. Zeke and his mommy were cremated and their ashes combined. They will be together forever. Knowing this gives some comfort to me. Be sure to hug your kids and tell them you love them.