What should I have done in this situation?

Page 1 of 1 [ 12 posts ] 

JWRed
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

11 Jan 2008, 11:57 am

A month ago, I began seeing a psychologist. After my first appointment, her secretary called

me at home and told me that I can only see the Dr. every month instead of every

week becacuse she has too many clients. I went to see the psychologist t again yesterday as

scheduled. After the appointment I went to the receptionist and asked to schedule another

appointment. There was apointment available next week. Even though the

appointment was available, was I supposed to take the initiative with what I was told previously

about only being able to see her once a month and follow the instructions? I wanted to see her

next week, so I took the appointment. Was I wrong for doing this? I know the easy

answer is "the apointmenment was available so it was ok to take it". But I was told I could only

see the Dr. once a month. I even mentioned this to the receptionist, and she said it was ok to

schedule the appointment next week. But sometimes people won't say anything in these

situations, even though I should have done I was told. I don't want to do something

inappropriate. I mentioned this to the psychologist as well, but she told me it was ok to

schedule for next week. Like the receptionist, she might not have said how she feels.

I have a feeling that an NT would do as instructed even though the appointment was available.

Greentea
Veteran
Veteran

11 Jan 2008, 12:08 pm

How do you manage to type double-space? I'd like to, it's much easier to read.

We aspies take things as they're said to us. NTs read between the lines. What the secretary told you between the lines was: "The doctor may be able to see you sometimes only once a month, so take that into account and don't complain if that's ever the case. We're covering our asses by telling you this now."

Asterisp
Veteran
Veteran

11 Jan 2008, 12:12 pm

A lot of times people accept such a thing when you make the transition between different regimes. For example you should visit a dentist twice a year, but is has not te be exactly 6 monts in between, 5 months and 7 months are also fine.

It is nice you think about other people emotions, but you pay them for crying out... so do not feel guilty.

JWRed
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

11 Jan 2008, 12:17 pm

Greentea wrote:
How do you manage to type double-space? I'd like to, it's much easier to read.

We aspies take things as they're said to us. NTs read between the lines. What the secretary told you between the lines was: "The doctor may be able to see you sometimes only once a month, so take that into account and don't complain if that's ever the case. We're covering our asses by telling you this now."

I manually did the double spacing (hit enter).

I thought about what you said, but even an NT might not do the right thing in this situation. They may use the logic that the appointment was available, so they took it.

Asterisp wrote:

It is nice you think about other people emotions, but you pay them for crying out... so do not feel guilty.

I am not really that concerned with emotions. I don't want to be inappropriate like so many times I have been in the past.

poopylungstuffing
Veteran
Veteran

11 Jan 2008, 12:25 pm

I definitely would have been confused in the same scenario.

I blame the doctors office for sending mixed messages....

um....There is nothing wrong with taking an appointment when it is available if you want to have an appointment.

Greentea
Veteran
Veteran

11 Jan 2008, 12:36 pm

NTs know instinctively when someone is just covering their asses or speaking literal truth. When I interviewed for my present office job, I was told I'd have to work till 10 pm twice a week and that it was a condition to be accepted. I didn't like it one bit, but I agreed. I've been on the job for 6 months, and I've yet to receive authorization to work till 10 pm twice a week if I ever wanted to. It was their way of covering their asses in case they'd ever need me in the office later than the usual hours. Having grasped the NT principle, I had imagined so from the start.

Melly
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

11 Jan 2008, 12:42 pm

First off let me say that I don't think once a month therapy is effective... you need to build up some momentum.

This took me a long time to learn, but you've got to do what you want to do, first off. It kind of sounds like you are saying you would prefer to see the psych weekly, so you did the right thing, accepted an appt that was offered for next week.

If this psych really can't see you more than once a month, can you ask for a referral to someone else with more time?

BTW, our therapists have weekly & biweekly slots so we don't have to schedule something every time. We just take "3 p.m. on Mondays", for example. The medical doctors do monthly followups and those are hard to schedule. I really prefer to have standing appointments.

Zsazsa
Veteran
Veteran

11 Jan 2008, 12:50 pm

Is this a private psychologist or one in a public clinic? If in a public clinic, services are spread thin to accommodate all people in
need of counseling services...but, most will find time when there is an urgent need. If you feel you need an appointment sooner
than a month, then by all mean, you were correct in taking the earlier appointment. An earlier appointment is better than holding
out over the month long wait and becoming more "sick" and possibly ending up in the hospital.

Psychologists and other mental health professionals don't deliberately tell people that they can only see them once a month...in
most cases, it is because health insurance companies and Medicaid dictate how many sessions they will pay for in the course of
treatment...with Medicaid, a therapist has to submit a special form to allow for "extra" treatment sessions beyond what Medicaid has put a limit on...to accommodate all patients in need. Private health insurance allow more accessibility to treatment than the
big demand by patients and low supply of therapists in the public mental health care system.

Postperson
Veteran
Veteran

11 Jan 2008, 4:14 pm

I would think that AS is one of the least popular conditions with shrinks and the like - we often know more than they do and will say so, or we're 'creeepy', so they may have formed a poor impression of you initially like "Ugh one of those people". I don't know that it's really a condition that can respond to a talking therapy anyway, but Greentea seems to like it.

I did know a girl (not with AS) who was seeing a psychiatrist 3 times a week, which I thought was outrageous, I mean what do they do, help you write your shopping lists or something. Her shrink then told her she'd need to see him 4 times a week. She said she couldn't afford it so he told her to take out a loan! So it's probably good that they discourage too much dependancy on them. I mean it's unethical to allow someone to become overdependant upon them.

fivecents
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

11 Jan 2008, 11:35 pm

Sounds like they want your insurance to deny the claim so you have to pay direct. A good psychologist knows the billing code to get around this. Also, they wouldn’t want to see you sooner if it wasn’t warranted. Or, the receptionist does not understand insurance billing yet.

Also, NTs make up the things other NTs are supposed to read between, it doesn’t mean other NTs read it. It is just another NT will call one on it. We also don’t know when another NT is pulling a CYA (cover your ass) until hindsight kicks in. Again, we challenge it when we figure it out. I agree that things should just be straightforward. However, these guessing games are why there is war in the world.

My theory is never do anything you don’t want to do (except work, we all need to pay bills) and do everything you actually want to do. Stay in your own comfort zone and “f” someone trying to drag you out of comfort or push you when you haven’t had time to think and process.

2ukenkerl
Veteran
Veteran

12 Jan 2008, 12:13 am

Personally, I follow the law WAY too much, and even follow little rules like THIS too much. If they let you, GO AHEAD! Otherwise, they may cancel your meeting, etc... ANYWAY! BESIDES, doctors WANT to fill their calendar to a degree because it means they can take more time later, and make more money. You are doing them a FAVOR!

The REQUEST was made to try to lower your expectations, so they could help more patients and thus increase chances that they can keep their calendar full.

As for NTs? Most DON'T CARE!! !! !!

Greentea
Veteran
Veteran

12 Jan 2008, 12:48 pm

When I was in college, I worked as a waitress together with many other students from our college. When exams period approached, the restaurant manager warned us that whoever requested time off to study for the exams would be fired. I did badly at the exams because I had to work so hard at the restaurant. After the exams I discovered that I'd been the only waitress who hadn't been on holiday for the exams. All the others had read between the lines that you wouldn't be given lots of time off, but you'd certainly be given a good few days to study for the exams. Nowadays I realize why all the other waitresses called me "Greentea, the astronaut".