Veteran

13 Jan 2008, 5:00 pm

Maybe, I don't want to try that diet. I love my sausages, too much.Image

Immortal
Veteran
Veteran

13 Jan 2008, 5:03 pm

sarahstilettos wrote:
My problems do seem to flare back up at odd moments and sometimes I've been able to tie this to gluten - for instance I forgot a couple of times that I can't eat sausages because they have flower in them, and my mum accidently brought me chocolate brownie ice-cream and I accidently ate it... before thinking... 'brownies. can't eat brownies... oh dear'. But it isn't always that obvious.

Yeah I'm losing weight on it, mainly because it stops me eating most of my pigging out foods.

Do you by chance have a wheat/gluten intolerance? My sister does, and she is very NT.

I don't eliminate these things, however I do eliminate processed foods so my gluten is much more limited than the average american.

sarahstilettos
Veteran
Veteran

13 Jan 2008, 5:06 pm

CockneyRebel wrote:

Well, you can buy special gluten free ones from sainsburys, (british supermarket. almost forgot you're almost all american). I like them a lot because they are filled out with... *checks packet*... sweetcorn, turnip, peas and onion! Which I think tastes nicer. They have a more pleasing, less fatty taste.

2ukenkerl
Veteran
Veteran

13 Jan 2008, 5:08 pm

Immortal wrote:
sarahstilettos wrote:
My problems do seem to flare back up at odd moments and sometimes I've been able to tie this to gluten - for instance I forgot a couple of times that I can't eat sausages because they have flower in them, and my mum accidently brought me chocolate brownie ice-cream and I accidently ate it... before thinking... 'brownies. can't eat brownies... oh dear'. But it isn't always that obvious.

Yeah I'm losing weight on it, mainly because it stops me eating most of my pigging out foods.

Do you by chance have a wheat/gluten intolerance? My sister does, and she is very NT.

I don't eliminate these things, however I do eliminate processed foods so my gluten is much more limited than the average american.

Gluten has little to do with processed food. In fact, even the earliest parts of the bible speak about wheat, though I don't think they had "processed" food back then.

Immortal
Veteran
Veteran

13 Jan 2008, 5:19 pm

2ukenkerl wrote:
Immortal wrote:
sarahstilettos wrote:

Gluten has little to do with processed food. In fact, even the earliest parts of the bible speak about wheat, though I don't think they had "processed" food back then.

Yes, I know you can eat unprocessed food and still eat gluten, but the point I was trying to make is that many of the processed foods that most people incorporate in their diet have gluten. Sometimes even things you wouldn't think, if you read the labels. I said less, not none.

Liverbird
Supporting Member
Supporting Member

13 Jan 2008, 5:25 pm

I notice that things that are heavy in gluten tend to make me very grouchy. Wheat products are bad for me as well. Make me very grouchy and disagreeable. I'm fairy dairy free as well. I do tend to be grouchy when I eat too much dairy stuff, but I think mostly because of grouchy tummy issues.

sarahstilettos
Veteran
Veteran

13 Jan 2008, 5:32 pm

Immortal wrote:
sarahstilettos wrote:

I suspect I probably do. I had a lot of symtoms, which included the classic gut related ones, and some psychological and random ones, (depression, irritability, listlessness and low mood, inability to concentrate, abormal menstrual cycle (sometimes up to 8 weeks), eczema, muscle cramps etc). I know you're supposed to get tested before trying something like this but I would find that too stressful.

Immortal
Veteran
Veteran

13 Jan 2008, 5:37 pm

sarahstilettos wrote:
Immortal wrote:
sarahstilettos wrote:

I suspect I probably do. I had a lot of symtoms, which included the classic gut related ones, and some psychological and random ones, (depression, irritability, listlessness and low mood, inability to concentrate, abormal menstrual cycle (sometimes up to 8 weeks), eczema, muscle cramps etc). I know you're supposed to get tested before trying something like this but I would find that too stressful.

Well it's not like a gluten free diet harms anything, and if it makes you feel better all the more reason to follow it. There are types of food I know make me feel ill, and I have altered my diet accordingly without formally being diagnosed with any form of intolerance. If I'm happier and healthier eating the way that I do, I see no issue.

jade10025
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker

13 Jan 2008, 10:34 pm

Ive been on the dirt for 2 years now, lost 50 pounds, and just recently realized I'm more out going, keeping friends and understanding people better. I'm still socially awkward, and "quirky", but much better. I'm more confident, need less help with orguinization, and have less meltdowns. But it took about a year before I started to undersand myself better. I can now actually understand my emotions and how to react to them. That is the best part for me. I even stood up for myself to someone the other day. I never before could have gotten my thoughts together enough to even reply much less defend myself. : )

zendell
Veteran
Veteran

13 Jan 2008, 11:32 pm

Brown rice is good. I think white rice has all the nutrients stripped out of it with a few replaced with vitamin powder. Brown rice also contains DMG which one group claims makes people less autistic.

sarahstilettos
Veteran
Veteran

14 Jan 2008, 11:39 am

zendell wrote:
Brown rice is good. I think white rice has all the nutrients stripped out of it with a few replaced with vitamin powder. Brown rice also contains DMG which one group claims makes people less autistic.

Yeah, everyone should eat either wholegrain or basmati rice. White rice tastes boring, also it is high GI which means it gives you a sugar high, then you crash. Useless!! !

Sadly I can't find wholegrain gluten free pasta anywhere :cry:

monty
Veteran
Veteran

14 Jan 2008, 12:03 pm

CockneyRebel wrote:

I'm eating gluten-free sausage right now. My wife is on a gluten-free diet for autoimmune thyroiditis, and it helps her greatly. So we have to cook most meals ourselves. There are two brands of chicken sausage available in my corner of the US that contain no gluten (no MSG, no nitrites). One brand come in a variety of styles - andouille (spicy), dried tomato, Greek (feta and basil), apple, etc.

monty
Veteran
Veteran

14 Jan 2008, 12:07 pm

2ukenkerl wrote:

Yes, people have been eating wheat since the agricultural revolution. But 'processed' foods often do have wheat or gluten hidden in various ways - as malt, maltodextrin, 'food starch' (which could be from wheat), etc. My favorite ingredient is "natural flavors"- which could be just about anything!

2ukenkerl
Veteran
Veteran

14 Jan 2008, 1:08 pm

monty wrote:
2ukenkerl wrote:

Yes, people have been eating wheat since the agricultural revolution. But 'processed' foods often do have wheat or gluten hidden in various ways - as malt, maltodextrin, 'food starch' (which could be from wheat), etc. My favorite ingredient is "natural flavors"- which could be just about anything!

My favorite is SOY SAUCE! SOY sauce!! !! THAT has wheat!! !

sarahstilettos
Veteran
Veteran

14 Jan 2008, 2:08 pm

2ukenkerl wrote:
monty wrote:
2ukenkerl wrote:

My favorite is SOY SAUCE! SOY sauce!! !! THAT has wheat!! !

I know. I was going round the supermarket on sunday trying to find a sauce for my stir fry that doeesn't contain gluten. I gave up.
Mayonaise also contains gluten. So does vinegar.

monty
Veteran
Veteran

14 Jan 2008, 3:34 pm

There is a mayonaise that is free from both gluten and soy oil (another common problem). I forget the brand but it is one of the big companies and it says "Canola Oil" in big letters on the front of the label.

Most soy sauce does contain wheat. PF Changs restaurant chain has a 'gluten-free' menu, but they apparently aren't aware of the gluten in soy sauce, because my wife got all the usual symptoms and her body temperature dropped several degrees after she ate there.

There are some soy sauces that are gluten free. It is also possible to get miso (soy paste) that contains no wheat or barley (just soy and rice). We have had to go to health food stores to get these.