Page 1 of 3 [ 42 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3  Next

techstepgenr8tion
Veteran
Veteran

05 Sep 2005, 3:42 am

Ghosthunter wrote:
was you scenerio similar, "those who verbally toy with
others." and it's side effects?

Well, not so much being cracked on as being ignored. I had a lot of people just pretending I wasn't there, if I started talking to em they'd almost instantly turn arround and start talking to someone else, lots of fun stuff like that. I started thinking I just took too long to get my thoughts out or like I was just boring em.

I learned though that I could get a much stronger upperhand on people who did wanna toy with me just by keeping things minimal but even moreso its been about gathering self-assurance and building a cohersive edge to my personality. When someone starts messing with you and you give em a toxic half smile that says, all on its own, "Lol, you really think you can buck me? That's cute kid" then people start backing down. When you run into NT's who are strong silent types but seem like they have enough of that low-end torque socially speaking to steamroll anyone who messed with em - pay attention out of the corner of your eye and try to figure out what it is, what they're feeling, what kinds of vibes they're sending, and figure out what would work for you (we definitely don't all look the same, don't all have that alpha-guy visage, and I myself am stuck with that Christopher Robin type pretty christian boy look if I shave my beard and let my hair grow - its been tough figuring out how to harden my facial expressions). Usually people who are like I mentioned have a real high level of self-control, assert it all the time on themselves, make sure they're almost always on firm ground when they speak, and really push themselves to the limits in building their social presence in a way where they're style almost seems like some chi-driven martial art.

Then again it also takes building many other angles of your personality to be more consistant with that as well but for me at least I feel like it's been worth the effort. You may even have a lot of things I didn't and had to work for but just never gave it much direct thought from that angle - lol, seems like most other aspies I've met have.

“Love takes off the masks that we fear we cannot live without and know we cannot live within. I use the word "love" here not merely in the personal sense but as a state of being, or a state of grace - not in the infantile American sense of being made happy but in the tough and universal sense of quest and daring and growth.” - James Baldwin

ljbouchard
Veteran
Veteran

05 Sep 2005, 7:52 am

You know GH, you would have been better off waiting until tomorrow evening until we could talk privately. Now I am forced to defend myself.

First off, based on what I was hearing, you went into this interview with an agenda and were determined to fulfill it no matter what. As an amateur genealogist, I have read many books on interviewing people that explain that in order to get the best information, you need to let the interview flow in its own direction and take in the evidence no matter where it leads, even if the direction is not one that you want or expect. I have interviewed persons of varying ages, one as old as 101. You can get information even from those people if you do things right.

In being unbiased and not having an agenda, 3 items popped out at me. They were: "accident", "crack", and "fluid". Now, I am not a psychologist or a doctor but I do know that in DSM-IV, other factors must be ruled out before a diagnosis of autism is made. These factors include biological factors as well as psychological.

The questions that pop into my mind are: What was this accident that occured, what was the result of the accident, and did it result in a brain injury? I ask this because in my year as a special needs bus driver, I have had a student on my bus (actually still have that student for 1 more year), who was in an accident that resulted in a traumatic brain injury. Depending on the areas of the brain that are injured, symptoms like those seen in autism could emerge (after all, studies suggest that problems in certain areas fo the brain are the result of autism).

Now to the theory of speech development. Infants start to aquire the linguistics of language almost after birth. Most infants are born with 20/200 vision and therefore cannot really see their world for the first 6 months of their life. They are therefore dependent on sound to learn their world. Before speaking a first word, babies do something called babbling. This is trying out different sounds in order to be able to create the sounds that are similar to the language being heard. Eventually, the baby will lose the sounds that are not part of the language spoken to it all of the time. The child will then progress to words.

From listening to the audio, it seems as though when you lost your hearing, you also stopped aquiring language. Once the problem with the hearing was repaired, you started to aquire language in the normal way that an infant would have done (listening, babbling, then words).

Now, again, I am not a doctor/psychologist. I could be wrong (and am willing to admit it). However, until something is official, I really think you should not rule out anything and that is what I am doing here. I am listening with an open mind. There seems to be more to your history than you even realize. This is no attempt to insult you but primarily to assist you.

Thank You

"Only when all those who surround you are different, do you truly belong."
---------------------------------------------------
Fred Tate Little Man Tate

Ghosthunter
Veteran
Veteran

05 Sep 2005, 3:07 pm

NeantHumain wrote:
Phoenix
Posted: Mon Sep 05, 2005 6:08 pm    Post subject:
------------------------------------------------------------------------
Ghosthunter wrote:
It is cool you heard it. I wanted facts before she dies.
she is 84 now and no one lives forever.
----------------------------------------------
neanthumain:
I understand this both from having an informative conversation recorded as a way to remember her and the urgency of retrieving that information before she dies.
----------------------------------------------

Thanks for understanding. I wonder
how long of a tape you would have to
explain your early years?

Would you mind posting them(written) here?

neanthumain wrote:
Ghosthunter wrote:
Yes, I am self-obsessive. and that is because i have been
put aside for others gains. Thus, i trust no one but myself.
as I got older I try to trust until.....
-------------------------------------------
neanthumaine:
I can understand the need to become more self-aware. I was only mentioning my impression that the recording seemed self-obsessed from the length of the recording. By the way, I did not listen to the entire thing but only up to about Minute 14.

If you listened to the final 14 minutes, she would
describe my mothers isolative tendencies, and
perhaps autistic? genetics passed to me.

neanthumaine wrote:
Ghosthunter wrote:
that is the nature of my self-obsession. Taking care of my
needs. Describe your childhood? if you chose todo so.

Thanks for responding,
And cool!

Sincerely,
Ghosthunter
-----------------------------------------
I've been thinking about writing a post about major events in my childhood to see if other aspies have any similarities for a little while now. I'm wondering if I share anything in common that may be pathogenic of Asperger's syndrome in at least some cases. In my opinion, though, birth trauma, genetic factors, social isolation, and later traumas to the head may have played a role in the development of the autistic traits I present.

One other thing I'd like to mention is that I have not been following all the "histrionics" (as some other members described it) of what has been happening between you and some other WrongPlanet.net members, particularly Alex Planck. I am aware of some of it, but I have not read literally every post on the matter. My opinion is that it was completely understandable for you to react with panic and rage when you lost your WiFi card. I am not implying Alex is to blame—I don't even know enough details of that to place blame on anyone—but I can understand your emotional reaction to this personal crisis perfectly.

The Alex thing is past tense, and I decided to move
on. I would love to see your early years post.
It is a good idea. I am glad you posted here.

Sincerely,
Ghosthunter

Ghosthunter
Veteran
Veteran

05 Sep 2005, 3:23 pm

techstepgenr8tion wrote:
Velociraptor
Posted: Mon Sep 05, 2005 6:42 pm    Post subject:
Ghosthunter wrote:
was you scenerio similar, "those who verbally toy with
others." and it's side effects?
----------------------------------

Well, not so much being cracked on as being ignored. I had a lot of people just pretending I wasn't there, if I started talking to em they'd almost instantly turn arround and start talking to someone else, lots of fun stuff like that. I started thinking I just took too long to get my thoughts out or like I was just boring em.

This describes the roleplayer, the sci-fi, and rocky horror
folk in my life. This is why I am overbearing, not
deliberatlely. I am glad we see this perspective.

techstepgenr8tion wrote:
I learned though that I could get a much stronger upperhand on people who did wanna toy with me just by keeping things minimal but even moreso its been about gathering self-assurance and building a cohersive edge to my personality.

I was too strange to most folks, maybe even
to most on Wrongplanet, so this tactic, though
tried didn't work. I am glad it worked for you.
Perhaps you fit in much better with others in groups
and didn't exhude a strange personality that
most don't know what to make of?

techstepgenr8tion wrote:
When someone starts messing with you and you give em a toxic half smile that says, all on its own, "Lol, you really think you can buck me? That's cute kid" then people start backing down. When you run into NT's who are strong silent types but seem like they have enough of that low-end torque socially speaking to steamroll anyone who messed with em - pay attention out of the corner of your eye and try to figure out what it is, what they're feeling, what kinds of vibes they're sending, and figure out what would work for you (we definitely don't all look the same, don't all have that alpha-guy visage, and I myself am stuck with that Christopher Robin type pretty christian boy look if I shave my beard and let my hair grow - its been tough figuring out how to harden my facial expressions). Usually people who are like I mentioned have a real high level of self-control, assert it all the time on themselves, make sure they're almost always on firm ground when they speak, and really push themselves to the limits in building their social presence in a way where they're style almost seems like some chi-driven martial art.

This describes alot of the strong types I have seen.
the Leo's(horoscope) type and Aries(horoscope) type
are very proficient in the silent strong type image.

techstepgenr8tion wrote:
Then again it also takes building many other angles of your personality to be more consistant with that as well but for me at least I feel like it's been worth the effort. You may even have a lot of things I didn't and had to work for but just never gave it much direct thought from that angle - lol, seems like most other aspies I've met have.

I see you point. Most autistic perspectives can be
one sided or not see a bigger picture. This for me
is a lack of a bigger space sense of direction, and
the NT's tend ot see the full map much better.

Our angles are complicated by this smaller piece to
smaller piece at a time. At least that's how I do it.

As far as being open, and consistent, I have had much
practice on Wrongplanet on making my perona sincere
and consistent. Wrongplanet has helped me in that
way.

hmmmm?

I assume you weren't given the absolute silent
treatment(when you enter a room they stop
talking.). This creates within me a vindictive
streak and loathing of human kind when it happens.

I am glad you posted here and showed you persona.
I stand naked and exposed on your computer screens,
and that is to leave no mystery, thus the big
picture becomes clearer. I am glad you were
and are able to do so.

sincerely,
Ghosthunter

Ghosthunter
Veteran
Veteran

05 Sep 2005, 3:44 pm

ljbouchard wrote:
Forum Moderator
Posted: Mon Sep 05, 2005 10:51 pm    Post subject:
You know GH, you would have been better off waiting until tomorrow evening until we could talk privately. Now I am forced to defend myself.

That wasn't my intent, though you interpret it
that way. I am one to try to help others and
perhaps some of your facts could publically help
them.

you allowed me to open a chapter and others may
benefit. i am not selfish, nor secretive. This is
the nature of my past writing. I am naked on your
screen, and now lets see how it can help you, and
allow you to be naked in truth in front of mine.
Thus the secret ingredient of Ghosthunter writing.

ljbouchard wrote:
First off, based on what I was hearing, you went into this interview with an agenda and were determined to fulfill it no matter what. As an amateur genealogist, I have read many books on interviewing people that explain that in order to get the best information, you need to let the interview flow in its own direction and take in the evidence no matter where it leads, even if the direction is not one that you want or expect. I have interviewed persons of varying ages, one as old as 101. You can get information even from those people if you do things right.

I am inexperienced in this recording thing. If I redid
it, i would be more tactful. It was my first attempt
at it. So I agree, I didn't allow a free flow of thought.
What's done is done.

LJbouchard wrote:
In being unbiased and not having an agenda, 3 items popped out at me. They were: "accident", "crack", and "fluid". Now, I am not a psychologist or a doctor but I do know that in DSM-IV, other factors must be ruled out before a diagnosis of autism is made. These factors include biological factors as well as psychological.

Good point. I can only say I have the
autistic traits, and my past is what it is.
I don't know how this factor(the big 3)
applies neither?

Did it hide my autism?
Did it create a assimulated autism?
or none of the above? Post-traumatic syndrome?
but there was hearing and language loss....

Ljbouchard wrote:
The questions that pop into my mind are: What was this accident that occured, what was the result of the accident, and did it result in a brain injury? I ask this because in my year as a special needs bus driver, I have had a student on my bus (actually still have that student for 1 more year), who was in an accident that resulted in a traumatic brain injury. Depending on the areas of the brain that are injured, symptoms like those seen in autism could emerge (after all, studies suggest that problems in certain areas fo the brain are the result of autism).

So a brain accident may have triggered
assimulated symptoms? Good point.

I communicate better on a computer screen,
thus opening this can of worms to help others
andhelp me communicate in my best mode
(non-verbally) i can better grasp it.

Thanks for understanding the airing of secrets
and data online, so I can effectively grasp,and
communicate. Otherwise a face to face would
yeild minimal communication results.

Thanks for understanding Ljbouchard.

Ljbouchard wrote:
Now to the theory of speech development. Infants start to aquire the linguistics of language almost after birth. Most infants are born with 20/200 vision and therefore cannot really see their world for the first 6 months of their life. They are therefore dependent on sound to learn their world. Before speaking a first word, babies do something called babbling. This is trying out different sounds in order to be able to create the sounds that are similar to the language being heard. Eventually, the baby will lose the sounds that are not part of the language spoken to it all of the time. The child will then progress to words.

follows what my grandmother said. My ages were 5
when words apparently started. As she explained,
baby talk at a age of 4-5. I am glad you explained the
nature of this study.

Know if this were a face to face, open thought, and
words would not happen. So thanks for bearing with
this exposure of secrets. I can freely and openly
express this way, where if we were face to face, I
would be vague in thought and " I don't know" with
a thousand words that couldn't be conveyed.

So thanks for understanding the nature of this
airing of secrets and knowledge.

Ljbouchard wrote:
From listening to the audio, it seems as though when you lost your hearing, you also stopped aquiring language. Once the problem with the hearing was repaired, you started to aquire language in the normal way that an infant would have done (listening, babbling, then words).

i am glad you are adding clariy to this, thankyou.
You are a well versed person. I am appreciative of
your views and understanding that online I can
retrieve and respond better to grasp this data and
verbalize it.

Ljbouchard wrote:
Now, again, I am not a doctor/psychologist. I could be wrong (and am willing to admit it). However, until something is official, I really think you should not rule out anything and that is what I am doing here. I am listening with an open mind. There seems to be more to your history than you even realize. This is no attempt to insult you but primarily to assist you.

And you have done a great job. By airing
this data and secret online it can be better
conveyed by me in words, not inperson.

sincerely,
Ghosthunter

P.S See you Tuesday for the meeting.
I made a call and gave my RSVP on
the voice mail.

Tom
Veteran
Veteran

05 Sep 2005, 3:54 pm

Thanks for posting this Ghostie, very interesting.

Ghosthunter
Veteran
Veteran

05 Sep 2005, 4:15 pm

tom wrote:
Phoenix
Posted: Tue Sep 06, 2005 6:54 am    Post subject:
Thanks for posting this Ghostie, very interesting.

And thankyou Tom. I hope you have some thoughts,
and perhaps post about your earlier year that might help
define you past that makes your present.

Sincerely,
Your Friend,
Ghosthunter

Scoots5012
Veteran
Veteran

05 Sep 2005, 8:00 pm

I could not understand a word being said on the recording, the sound was so muffled that to my ears, it was competing with the backround noise.

So I took it and did some processing to it and got it to the point where I could somewhat understand it.

Anyways, as I listen to it GH, I get the impression that your autism was compounded by, and possibly casued in part by your mothers complete lack of affection during your first year, and the accident which ruined your hearing.

You've lead quite the life GH!

yealc
Veteran
Veteran

05 Sep 2005, 10:11 pm

GH (If I may just the short version)

I want you to know I listened to the whole interview. As my mind does not process verbal items well I do not have anything to ask or share but I did want you to know I took the time to listen.

Also I think you have a soothing voice.

Y

"I never could get the hang of Thursdays"

Ghosthunter
Veteran
Veteran

06 Sep 2005, 12:56 am

Scoots5012 wrote:
Forum Moderator
Posted: Tue Sep 06, 2005 11:00 am    Post subject:
I could not understand a word being said on the recording, the sound was so muffled that to my ears, it was competing with the backround noise.

So I took it and did some processing to it and got it to the point where I could somewhat understand it.

Anyways, as I listen to it GH, I get the impression that your autism was compounded by, and possibly casued in part by your mothers complete lack of affection during your first year, and the accident which ruined your hearing.

You've lead quite the life GH!

Good point. Also another good one was by
Ljbouchard. The one about autitstic-like
compensation, but not autism. Eitherway,
I know how I am perceived by NT's and
don't aurgue autism and find that your
point about my mother has also crossed
my mind.

She had 4 dsyfunctional kids in similar
relationships that created them.
Her distance to her kids makes me
where on the spectrum she is, if she
were on it????

It is cool that you could share in my past,
as you have wrote many wonderful pieces
of your past. I like your past related and
present related insights.

Scoots, your awesome with awesome insight.

Sincerely,
Ghosthunter

Ghosthunter
Veteran
Veteran

06 Sep 2005, 1:00 am

yealc wrote:
Tucan
Posted: Tue Sep 06, 2005 1:11 pm    Post subject:
GH (If I may just the short version)

I want you to know I listened to the whole interview. As my mind does not process verbal items well I do not have anything to ask or share but I did want you to know I took the time to listen.

Also I think you have a soothing voice.

And that is the point of why I asked to have it hosted
on this site. I felt like sharing. I am glad you enjoyed
it? I find it a compliment that you find my voice soothing.
Most people see it as loud, or soft, not a middle point.
So thanks for that compliment and taking the time to
listen to the recording.

Coool!

Sincerely,
Ghosthunter

magic
Veteran
Veteran

08 Sep 2005, 1:05 pm

I tried to listen to the recording, but I had trouble understanding the conversation. May I join others' request for a transcript (at least of the most important fragments)? Or maybe Scott could share the quality-improved version?

Ghosthunter
Veteran
Veteran

08 Sep 2005, 8:23 pm

I agree whole heartedly, the recording
was rough the the best of my taping
opportunity.

I too would like to hear Scoots clean version.
Thanks for emphasizing this. I did my best to
capture what I could with some? sound quality.

I still hope you think the heart and intent was
in the right place.

Thanks Scoot for doing a clean copy, can you
share it????

Sincerely,
Ghosthunter

Scoots5012
Veteran
Veteran

08 Sep 2005, 9:12 pm

I did not save it though. I would have to go and redo it.

I'll see what I can set up.

Scoots5012
Veteran
Veteran

08 Sep 2005, 10:17 pm

Ok. I'm back. I have a real media file that is 6.3 megs. I ran it through a noise gate to try and get some contrast between the backround noise and the conversation, as well as did EQ job on it to try and make it more clear.

Who ever can host this, please PM and I will try and send it via E-mail.

Either way, this is best listened to via HEADPHONES.

Ghosthunter
Veteran
Veteran

09 Sep 2005, 1:10 pm

Scoots, contact Pyraxis.
She hosted mine and can convert it
to the media types.

Sincerely, and thanks,
Ghosthunter