Page 1 of 2 [ 17 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next

Neuroman
Veteran
Veteran

04 Sep 2005, 12:09 pm

I think that with 377 posts as of today, and as it closes in on read number 9,000, it would be the "You might be an aspie" thread.
Does anybody want to talk about making this into a book? Good way to make money for the site...reverse royalties - 10% for the editor and 90% for WrongPlanet.
I can only imagine the bandwidth....

if you are going through hell, keep going.
Winston Churchill

larsenjw92286
Veteran
Veteran

04 Sep 2005, 1:55 pm

Neuroman:

I tell you, I don't usually post very much in the "Stats" forum, but allow this to be number 1 with some good thoughts. I think it would be great if we could put together a compilation of threads and replies to all kinds of topics, and then compose it of a book.

Neuroman
Veteran
Veteran

04 Sep 2005, 2:32 pm

Nothing but good thoughts!
I am lousy at communicating. Sorry if it seemed I meant something else. I imagined a New York Times Bestseller, Alex and others who work on this site having their way through college paid, unlimited bandwith....
I think a book based on this site would be great. We do have some writers here. In fact, I'm one (albeit one who works much better with an editor).

AND
I was wrong about the most reads. In true Asperger's style, I completely ignored the forums about relationships. As of today, the one with the most reads is the Aspergians Singles List, with 227 posts and 27,790 reads. There is also the "What does your Avatar represent" thread, with 227 posts/3908 reads.

Winston Churchill

Last edited by Neuroman on 04 Sep 2005, 3:41 pm, edited 1 time in total.

larsenjw92286
Veteran
Veteran

04 Sep 2005, 2:37 pm

I understand, this is coming from someone who has posted less than I have, but regardless, we should treat each other equally in the process. Not to say that we haven't before, but we are a varied group. I'd say we all get along well.

Neuroman
Veteran
Veteran

04 Sep 2005, 3:45 pm

larsenjw92286 wrote:
I understand, this is coming from someone who has posted less than I have, but regardless, we should treat each other equally in the process. Not to say that we haven't before, but we are a varied group. I'd say we all get along well.
Um, ... I don't get it. What are you talking about? Who is being treated unequally? What is coming from someone who has posted less than you? What does that have to do with anything? What are you talking about????

Winston Churchill

larsenjw92286
Veteran
Veteran

04 Sep 2005, 4:49 pm

Neuroman, it's you who has posted less than me. This post came from someone who had posted less than me, meaning you. I was not implying that anyone was being treated unequally. I was trying to decipher that a book of posts and threads showing our equal treatment would be fair enough.

GalileoAce
Veteran
Veteran

04 Sep 2005, 8:44 pm

I think it's quite an intriguing idea... Definitley worth exploring :)

GA

BeeBee
Veteran
Veteran

04 Sep 2005, 9:00 pm

I love the idea.

HOW? We have writers on board, as you mentioned. How would we start?

BeeBee

Neuroman
Veteran
Veteran

05 Sep 2005, 2:09 am

I think first we need to do a book proposal and see who is interested. Then we'd need what would amount to a bunch of editors, depending on how long we wanted the book to be. I would like to see interviews with the site developers, some autobiographical stuff by people on the site, some art/comics (imagine a chapter on avatars!) and some factual information to put the posts in perspective. To figure out which posts to use, we could ask people to "donate" them. If there are too many we could ask our editors to decide which ones worked best with the book's format.

Can you tell I had this in my head before you asked?

My therapist and others tell me that I am a good writer; but I frequently have problems understanding things like the above interaction. I would be willing to devote a lot of time to this, as I could see it become enough of an obsession to be finished. But I could not do it alone.

I also have a friend in the book writing/publishing business who could coach us through any parts that were sticky.
Even if the only people who bought the book were visitors and members of the site, we'd make money.

Winston Churchill

Namiko
Veteran
Veteran

27 Nov 2005, 2:35 pm

That would be something really cool to get involved with. I love to write and am always looking for a new project to tackle. And there are a bunch of other people who write here. :)

vetivert
Veteran
Veteran

27 Nov 2005, 2:54 pm

sorry to sound like a killjoy, but...

first thing you'd have to do is to ask every single person who's posted on that thread if it's okay with them, which is a mammoth task. yes, copyright rests with the site owner (i believe), but you'd run into instant trouble if you published it without proper accreditation, unless that accreditation was waived. any copyright issues would have to be addressed before anything else.

i'm not absolutely clear on what the issues might be, by the way, but it's certain that they'll be ridiculously complicated (they always are :roll:), and we have to remember that people from different countries may have different legalities to sort out.

it might be a simple thing after all, but it needs looking into.

Neuroman
Veteran
Veteran

22 Dec 2005, 5:18 pm

Actually all we'd need to do is start a new thread and tell folks to post what they give permission to be published. A detail oriented person can PM each contributor to be sure they understand what will happen with their post. Anyone who doesn't respond or who objects will be eliminated from the final product.
There are enough posts on that thread for six books. I see no problem with getting enough for one book. And even though it may be duplicated in other places, the unique quality is that our material comes from the largest online community of autism spectrum people and allies in the world.
I am just guessing we are the largest in the world, but I bet I'm right. We should capitalize on it to support the site. Just think - if the book is successful enough, we could fund that party we're all fantasizing about....
Or better yet, how about funding the Vivi world tour? Oops - I will continue this fantasy in the random fun forum...

Winston Churchill

vetivert
Veteran
Veteran

22 Dec 2005, 5:32 pm

/me belts over to random fun thread, in a state of complete excitement!

does that mean i get to meet everybody? 8O

woo hoo! :jester:

(the drawback is, of course, that they'll have to meet me, too. oh well... :( )

GalileoAce
Veteran
Veteran

23 Dec 2005, 9:15 am

I've always held that anything on the Internet is free to anyone... (so yeah I steal pictures and the like), and I apply this tenet to myself, everything I place online is free for anyone to use as they please.

SB2
Veteran
Veteran

05 Jan 2006, 6:02 pm

Current topic:
when new members sign up, you could state that the site administrators have the rights to things posted. and one of those things that microsoft always makes you write " I Agree" to.

This would solve any future problems, trying to seek approval. Since you would already have it with a waiver. Of course you should include an opt out option. This is after all a support community, youwouldn't want to scare people away. But the opt out would make it much easier to edit.

Remember this site is still in its infancy stage. 20 years from now, how many specific individuals do you anticipate having to track down for approval?

Origional topic;

Two threads are gaining momemtum and need to be considered future challengers to the threads you've alreadt stated.
Anti American Sentiment
and
Ask Quirky Carla anything.

both of these are already well over 200 replies each and they are literally mostly in the past two weeks

Thanks Larval
Thanks SB2

SB2
Veteran
Veteran

05 Jan 2006, 6:17 pm

A few things may come as a positive.

Most people like the story of the underdog. Who are bigger underdogs than us (except myself and eamonn, of course)

People also get a sense of moral absolution when they take up the cause of the 'poor helpless people". Once again (stated above)

AWARENESS AWARENESS AWARENESS;

PC dictates that (i can speak for America only) we need a new awareness flavor of the month.

Personal stories. There are alot of heartbreaking stories on this site. People like to read about others misfortunes, because it makes them feel better about their own.

And many more.

I believe that if handled correctly Apergers could be 'en vogue' that would make for serious strides forward, at least for the next generation of AS people (little ASes).
Remember (i can only speak for americans) Americans have the attention span of about five minutes. So if you really had a complete vision for all this (i hope more than just money) it would need to be well thought out and organized. Begin with a clear plan. Because windows of opportunity don't stay open for long.

WHAT COULD WE ACCOMPLISH?
if were worked together, with a clear plan?