Page 1 of 3 [ 35 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3  Next

The_Q
Pileated woodpecker
Pileated woodpecker

15 Jan 2008, 12:56 am

Mc_Jeff wrote:
Atheism often goes hand in hand with arrogance and brattiness (see this forum for example after example), and most athiests tend to be self-righteous and every bit as hypocritical as the religious types they loathe.

This is a major generalisation. The hostility you see from atheists on this thread isn't because they are like "religious types" as you describe them, but because we get sick and tired of misconception after misconception. Some respond with anger, others just realise that there's nothing that can be done about it and laugh it off.

One of the classic arguments I see from fundamentalist theists is to try and put atheism in the same basket they are in. I can understand why people might have this perception about 'strong' atheists, but I don't believe it's accurate in many respects. I think you'll find that a great number of atheists are prepared to tolerate and even accept theists, so long as they are paid the same courtesy. While I can't speak for all, I know this is true of me.

marshall
Veteran
Veteran

15 Jan 2008, 2:44 am

Mc_Jeff wrote:
A lot of the nicest people I know are agnostics, and I think that may be because the agnostic "faith" is basically an acknowledgement that you don't know. Agnosticism only offends the most fervent of religious types. Atheism often goes hand in hand with arrogance and brattiness (see this forum for example after example), and most athiests tend to be self-righteous and every bit as hypocritical as the religious types they loathe.

If Estonia is 54% agnostic/deist, it wouldn't surprise me if it's a very nice, easy going place to live.

I don't really understand the difference between atheism and agnosticism. I used to call myself agnostic, but I figure I might as well just call myself atheist. Non-belief is non-belief.

I think “hardcore” American atheists are common on the internet because here in the US non-religious people are a small minority. It isn’t considered polite to criticize someone’s religion in person. So basically the internet is the only haven for us atheists to let off steam.

Awesomelyglorious
Veteran
Veteran

15 Jan 2008, 3:28 am

twoshots wrote:
"When one gives up the Christian faith, one pulls the right to Christian morality out from under one's feet. This morality is by no means self-evident... By breaking one main concept out of Christianity, the faith in God, one breaks the whole: nothing necessary remains in one's hands."
-Nietzsche "Twilight of the Idols"

I was thinking about quoting that too, but I decided that adding it would not really help me much. Definitely an excellent quote! :D

kitschinator
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

15 Jan 2008, 6:10 am

marshall wrote:

I don't really understand the difference between atheism and agnosticism. I used to call myself agnostic, but I figure I might as well just call myself atheist. Non-belief is non-belief.

Atheism is a positive assertion that you do not believe any God exists, or any phenomenon that cannot be proven or shown to exist using science.

Agnosticism is much more nebulous. Agnostics don't reject the existence of God or an afterlife, they just don't feel they have enough evidence to commit to a belief, much less a particular religion. Agnostics feel that NO ONE has enough information to say with certainty that any religion OR atheism is the correct theory. Agnostics rely on logical reasoning to form their beliefs, much like atheists, but don't feel comfortable asserting that God cannot exist.

To sum an agnostic's worldview up in one sentence: "Sounds interesting....but how can I be sure? Tell me more."

Odin
Veteran
Veteran

15 Jan 2008, 9:02 am

Awesomelyglorious wrote:
Is this some embedded desire to conform? A fear of being different from the herd? I just don't know, I just know I never really took this path.

No, it's a desire to be a good, compassionate person, at least in my case.

Awesomelyglorious
Veteran
Veteran

15 Jan 2008, 10:23 am

Odin wrote:

So, you egoistically enjoy being good? I can understand that, but it means nothing morally as egoism is egoism, even if there are altruistic components.

Baratos
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker

15 Jan 2008, 10:47 am

The_Q wrote:
Baratos wrote:
I can tell whoever wrote that has never been to Estonia. Over 70% of the population is atheist, and its one of the nicest places out there to live.

Quote by Wiki:
"Religion

According to the most recent Eurobarometer Poll 2005,[47] 16% of Estonian citizens responded that "they believe there is a god", whereas 54% answered that "they believe there is some sort of spirit or life force" and 26% that "they do not believe there is any sort of spirit, god, or life force". This, according to the survey, would have made Estonians the most non-religious people in the then 25-member European Union. Historically, however, Estonia used to be a stronghold of Lutheranism due to its strong links to the Nordic countries."

It seems unlikely that a European country could have a 70% atheist population. Europe does appear to be steering away from theism in many respects, but no quite to that degree.

By atheist I simply mean someone who doesnt believe in some kind of god.

Odin
Veteran
Veteran

15 Jan 2008, 4:32 pm

Awesomelyglorious wrote:
Odin wrote:

So, you egoistically enjoy being good? I can understand that, but it means nothing morally as egoism is egoism, even if there are altruistic components.

It is an instinctive urge (what Hume would of called a "passion") that I cannot explain rationally, and any such explanation would simply be a post-hoc rationalization, just like all other moral systems.

Awesomelyglorious
Veteran
Veteran

15 Jan 2008, 4:47 pm

Odin wrote:
It is an instinctive urge (what Hume would of called a "passion") that I cannot explain rationally, and any such explanation would simply be a post-hoc rationalization, just like all other moral systems.

Whatev, you are still acting on your passion, your instinctive urge, or whatever you want to call it. It says nothing about morality or transcendent oughtness as there is no objective reference point by which to judge passions and instinctive urges whether they are altruistic or sociopathic.

Odin
Veteran
Veteran

15 Jan 2008, 5:37 pm

Awesomelyglorious wrote:
Odin wrote:

Whatev, you are still acting on your passion, your instinctive urge, or whatever you want to call it. It says nothing about morality or transcendent oughtness as there is no objective reference point by which to judge passions and instinctive urges whether they are altruistic or sociopathic.

I do not believe in a transcendent "ought-ness," nor do I accept the assertion that "is" never justifies "ought."

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Is-ought_p ... Criticisms

Quote:
Many modern naturalistic philosophers see no impenetrable barrier in deriving "ought" from "is". An "ought" can derive from an "is" whenever we analyze goal-directed behavior, and a statement of the form "In order for A to achieve goal B, he/it ought to do C" exhibits no category error and may be factually verified or refuted. For example Daniel Dennett states [7]:

Quote:
From what can “ought” be derived? The most compelling answer is this: ethics must somehow be based on an appreciation of human nature — on a sense of what a human being is or might be, and on what a human being might want to have or want to be. If that is naturalism, then naturalism is no fallacy. No one could seriously deny that ethics is responsive to such facts about human nature. We may just disagree about where to look for the most telling facts about human nature — in novels, in religious texts, in psychological experiments, in biological or anthropological innovations. The fallacy is not naturalism, but, rather, any simple-minded attempt to rush from facts to values. In other words, the fallacy is greedy reductionism of values to facts, rather than reductionism considered more circumspectly, as the attempt to unify our world-view so that our ethical principles don’t clash irrationally with the way the world is.

For naturalists, simple ethical "oughts" such as monogamy and 'thou shalt not kill' follow naturally from human biological drives such as pair-bonding and avoiding unnecessary violence. The more complex ethical rules of society are derived for mutual benefit, and are amenable to an ethical methodology such as utilitarianism. The wider investigation of how social rules arise during group evolution belongs to the scientific field of sociobiology. In contrast, those who propose supernaturalist origins of morality (maintaining is/ought incommensurability) assert these similarities between ethical rules and natural biological behavior are just coincidental. By itself supernaturalism fails to elucidate morality since the supernaturalist must additionally show how we are to choose between competing supernatural ethical systems without appealing to naturalistic principles such as minimizing suffering. Consequently naturalists claim a supernaturalist approach to ethics appears arbitrary and has no explanatory advantage.

IMO "Good" and "bad" are not some transcendent concepts, but are labels given to behaviors based on our instinctive "moral sense" that is based on our evolution and based and our cultural upbringing; and the instinctual moral sense is what morality is about. People consider altruism "good" because mentally healthy people instinctively like altruism (IMO libertarian types that criticize the notion of altruism are basing thier opinion subconsciously on notions of enlightened self-interest that claim selfishness ultimately helps everyone) since altruistic behavior was favored by natural selection.

marshall
Veteran
Veteran

15 Jan 2008, 5:45 pm

Odin:

I've already been through this whole argument with AG ad nauseam. It's pointless. By AG's definition of morality we don't believe morality exists. I feel like I agree with you, but in the end it's an argument over definitions and a priori claims.

twoshots
Veteran
Veteran

15 Jan 2008, 6:58 pm

Quote:
but in the end it's an argument over definitions and a priori claims

Well, that is not an insignificant problem. I don't think we should conflate "good" and "right"; the concepts are different

Cyanide
Veteran
Veteran

15 Jan 2008, 7:25 pm

The largest "religious" group in the Czech Republic is non-religious.
"According to the 2001 census, 59% of the country is agnostic, atheist, non-believer or no-organised believer, 26.8% Roman Catholic and 2.5% Protestant."
(Gotten from Wiki)

Haven't heard about any christian burning things going on there....just the skinheads wanting to kill Jews and Gypsies.

Odin
Veteran
Veteran

15 Jan 2008, 9:53 pm

marshall wrote:
Odin:

I've already been through this whole argument with AG ad nauseam. It's pointless. By AG's definition of morality we don't believe morality exists. I feel like I agree with you, but in the end it's an argument over definitions and a priori claims.

Pretty much. My big issue with AG is that I consider assertions of what one ought to do to be dependent on and completely linked to our needs and desires, the notion of some "transcendent ought" independent of human cognition and instinct is meaningless nonsense.

Awesomelyglorious
Veteran
Veteran

16 Jan 2008, 12:11 am

Odin wrote:
I do not believe in a transcendent "ought-ness," nor do I accept the assertion that "is" never justifies "ought."

Ok, disprove me. To me, it is a fact that the 2 are different forms of knowledge, and that "is" and "ought" are seen as different in policy analyses. So, even if there is a general essence of man, why should the particular man follow this essence? Finally, we get into issues with defining nature, as naturalism can lead to social darwinism, to conservatism, and to essentially any and every other view from the strongest of communalist fascisms to the most anarchistic natural rights society. Finally, we run into issues with the interplay with culture and moral ideas, which then will lead us to an issue of how morality can be seen as moral if it is just a result of culture then cultural critiques are nonsense, and also with the moral gut, as I believe you have argued, our moral guts lack consistency, but a moral code must be consistent and thus some people will form different consistent constructions based upon that which will contradict. Finally, we have the issue of determining why the individual, who may feel they have a different nature, should submit to what is defined as human nature, which follows from variations in our cultural upbringings and even our different biologically based psychologies. Given that I don't think a response can be formulated to sufficiently deal with every question while still maintaining the integrity of a science, I think that the concept then fails.

Quote:
IMO "Good" and "bad" are not some transcendent concepts, but are labels given to behaviors based on our instinctive "moral sense" that is based on our evolution and based and our cultural upbringing; and the instinctual moral sense is what morality is about. People consider altruism "good" because mentally healthy people instinctively like altruism (IMO libertarian types that criticize the notion of altruism are basing thier opinion subconsciously on notions of enlightened self-interest that claim selfishness ultimately helps everyone) since altruistic behavior was favored by natural selection.

I say that good and bad are predefined as transcendent, so therefore what you are doing is redefining a transcendent concept to fit your schema. To not be totally dismissive though, I could accept the logic that you are right on their origin. I tend to disagree with the idea of mental health as an objective construct so much as a cultural one. Ok, not necessarily true at all though. Some libertarians do argue this, however, the man I was quoting was Max Stirner, who took a stance further than those libertarians as he argued explicit egoism on the basis of individualism rather than egoism based upon utilitarianism or anything else and never invoked any concern about other people and even a lack of concern for them. The issue is that I stand with people such as Max Stirner and Nietzsche and ask why rules should bind those who are considered by society to be sociopathic or psychopathic.

Quote:

It is a matter of definitions to a great extent, however, there are issues with the fact that morality is by its nature a set of rules for mankind. Scientifically we cannot establish that man should follow rules. We might be able to establish that many people do, but how does that mean anything about the ones that don't? It doesn't inherently do so.

Quote:
Pretty much. My big issue with AG is that I consider assertions of what one ought to do to be dependent on and completely linked to our needs and desires, the notion of some "transcendent ought" independent of human cognition and instinct is meaningless nonsense.

And I would argue that such an assertion if taken explicitly should lead to egoism rather than a left-wing, rights based utilitarianism and that the avoidance of egoist terms is thus an inconsistency. I never said that the notion of "transcendent ought" had factual basis, but I am arguing that moral action is done in regards to "transcendent ought" by the traditional manners of defining the construct morality. I mean, I might accept an argument of naturalism if you were explicitly egoist, but then we have a very nihilistic seeming idea of what morality is, and thus the concept is practically dead anyway, so it wouldn't matter.

The_Q
Pileated woodpecker
Pileated woodpecker

16 Jan 2008, 11:43 am

Baratos wrote:
The_Q wrote:
Baratos wrote:
I can tell whoever wrote that has never been to Estonia. Over 70% of the population is atheist, and its one of the nicest places out there to live.

Quote by Wiki:
"Religion

According to the most recent Eurobarometer Poll 2005,[47] 16% of Estonian citizens responded that "they believe there is a god", whereas 54% answered that "they believe there is some sort of spirit or life force" and 26% that "they do not believe there is any sort of spirit, god, or life force". This, according to the survey, would have made Estonians the most non-religious people in the then 25-member European Union. Historically, however, Estonia used to be a stronghold of Lutheranism due to its strong links to the Nordic countries."

It seems unlikely that a European country could have a 70% atheist population. Europe does appear to be steering away from theism in many respects, but no quite to that degree.

By atheist I simply mean someone who doesnt believe in some kind of god.

Fair enough.