Page 1 of 2 [ 21 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next

How do you prefer watching foreign-language films?
Poll ended at 12 Sep 2005, 2:33 am
Dubbed 2%  2%  [ 1 ]
Dubbed 2%  2%  [ 1 ]
Subtitled 48%  48%  [ 22 ]
Subtitled 48%  48%  [ 22 ]
Total votes : 46

nocturnalowl
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

05 Sep 2005, 2:33 am

I like them subtitled because it allows the viewer to feel the true emotions and expressions come out of the actors and hearing their real voices can surely make it more authentic by seeing the acting capabilities appear. Dubbing pretty much deprives a lot of the original artistry and eliminates the character's personality by not hearing their actual physical voices.

It also is good to hear a different language other than the language native to the viewer. Only downfall is having to read the subtitles on the bottom which may cause some to miss out what's going on in the film. And then there are those who can't read or can't see the words well.

For example I remember seeing "Crouching Tiger, Hidden Dragon" at the theaters a few years ago. I liked the film for the fight scenes, drama and the settings.
A few years later I saw the film on TV and it was dubbed. I thought to myself "I liked it better when it was in Cantonese (or was it a different Chinese language) with the English subtitles"

GalileoAce
Veteran
Veteran

05 Sep 2005, 4:02 am

I agree, I much prefer subtitled movies to dubbed.

GA

spacemonkey
Veteran
Veteran

05 Sep 2005, 10:45 am

I was just watching "House of Flying Daggers" the other night with my dad, and he hates subtitles. So I tried to watch it with the dubbing, but it was just too ridiculous. The voices are over emphasized, and made the whole thing seem like a parody to me. So I switched it over during one of the songs. He never said anything about it. I'm not sure if he noticed.
I find that after watching long enough, I forget that it is in another language. The reading becomes so habitual.

chamoisee
Veteran
Veteran

05 Sep 2005, 11:30 am

I much prefer subtitles. A lot of the time I miss what the actors are saying if I'm only listening, when I read I can understand it faster and get the whole movie. It almost makes me wish that American movies were subtitled, too. :oops:

Yupa
Veteran
Veteran

05 Sep 2005, 11:32 am

I don't mind dubs as long as the translated script is well written and the voice acting is in character and shows the right sort of emotion for a scene.

sparkplugloy
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

05 Sep 2005, 3:46 pm

I like subtitles better for the same reasons that were already given.

AbominableSnoCone
Veteran
Veteran

05 Sep 2005, 4:14 pm

Dubbing is enjoyable mainly for the comedic value :lol:

nocturnalowl
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

05 Sep 2005, 6:13 pm

Dubbing for the comedic value should be left for the comedies, or cheezy films.
Including those Hong Kong martial arts films especially the old Bruce Lee and Jackie Chan flicks. Those can bring out a good laugh. But the good ones should be left alone.

Mockingbird
Veteran
Veteran

05 Sep 2005, 10:50 pm

chamoisee wrote:
I much prefer subtitles. A lot of the time I miss what the actors are saying if I'm only listening, when I read I can understand it faster and get the whole movie. It almost makes me wish that American movies were subtitled, too. :oops:

Me too! It's much easier for me to read and understand then hear and understand. If I'm watching a DVD with a subtitles option, even when the original movie is in english, I'll have the subtitles on more often than not :)

Bec
Veteran
Veteran

05 Sep 2005, 11:05 pm

Depends on what mood I'm in. If I'm feeling lazy then I prefer it dubbed. Most of the time, I like when there are subtitles.

I've seen the movie Hero two times with subtitles and once dubbed. The dubbing was funny looking. Once I rented Life is Beautiful (La Vita è bella) thinking I got the Italian version with English subtitles. I was so disappointed when I discovered it was dubbed.

nocturnalowl
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

05 Sep 2005, 11:13 pm

When I watch a DVD of an Amer. flick, I sometimes will put on the Spanish or French subtitles, but usually with movies with plenty foul language such as the American Pie series. So I can read the swear words in other languages.

Mockingbird
Veteran
Veteran

05 Sep 2005, 11:16 pm

BTW, an AMAZING subtitled movie is the italian movie "Il Postino"(The Postman...not the same as the american movie of the same title) Not only is it amazing all around, the main character is so aspie it's quite an interesting movie that I HIGHLY reccomend to ANYONE!! !

V111
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

05 Sep 2005, 11:37 pm

You only need a translater and the subtiler and maybe input from the film maker. So it cost alot less yes ? I think so and faster to market 8)

thatrsdude
Veteran
Veteran

06 Sep 2005, 4:24 am

Subbing is better yes. Except maybe in cartoons.

Serissa
Veteran
Veteran

06 Sep 2005, 9:58 am

Dubbed if I want to be doing something else when I'm watching, subtitlaed if I can concentrate all my attention. Both at once usually throws me off, though.

We watch movies in some of my classes with closed captioning and I can't really pay attention to the actual words because of the words on the screen. It's fantatsically confusing and disorienting.

spacemonkey
Veteran
Veteran

06 Sep 2005, 6:15 pm

I love closed captioning