Page 1 of 3 [ 38 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3  Next

Mulligrubs
Butterfly
Butterfly

16 Jan 2008, 9:39 pm

I just finished a novel called The Perks of Being a Wallflower, which was pretty good, for a novel anyway, but now I need something else to read!

Any suggestions? Non-fiction, fiction, doesn't matter.

What are your favorites?

JerryHatake
Veteran
Veteran

16 Jan 2008, 9:47 pm

Well I read the complete Harry Potter Series and its pretty good.

It also teach you tolerance as well.

Dokken
Veteran
Veteran

16 Jan 2008, 10:24 pm

Blood Meridan or Child of God by Cormac McCarthy

Fayed
Toucan
Toucan

16 Jan 2008, 10:31 pm

My sister's keeper By Jodi Picioult, was a good book, really liked it. started me on a cancer fixation.

Ender's Saga ( Ender's Game and Ender's Shadow) by Orson Scott Card. Futureistic sci-fi i really liked.

Stranger in a Strange Land ( Robert Hinlingn is the author.... and that last name is mispelled) is a well known Sci-Fi book, Human born adn raised on mars comes to earth and becomes a messiah like figure ( was a very interesting book)

Fatal-Noogie
Veteran
Veteran

Location: California coast, United States of America, Earth, Solar System, Milky Way, Cosmos

16 Jan 2008, 11:05 pm

I'm a big fan of Mark Twain. I recommend his short stories, especially "Journalism in Tennessee", "How I Edited an Agricultural Paper", "The Facts Concerning the Recent Carnival of Crime in Connecticut", "A Double Barrel Detective Story", and "The Stolen White Elephant".
I think those are some of the funniest humor stories of all time, but that's just me.

matrix
Veteran
Veteran

23 Jan 2008, 2:42 pm

http://www.johntaylorgatto.com/chapters/index.htm

The information here is very insightful, and frightening.

Phagocyte
Veteran
Veteran

23 Jan 2008, 4:16 pm

Cosmos by Carl Sagan.

Someone, please. Vouch for it's greatness.

MissPickwickian
Veteran
Veteran

24 Jan 2008, 8:40 pm

Just finished:
The Custom of the Country-Edith Wharton
The Mirror Maker-Primo Levi

Current:
A Crocodile on the Sandbank-Some mystery writer; don't feel like checking
Sister Wendy on Prayer-Sister Wendy Beckett
Eichmann in Jerusalem: A Report on the Banality of Evil-Hannah Arendt
The Old Curiosity Shop-Charles Dickens

JerryHatake
Veteran
Veteran

24 Jan 2008, 9:27 pm

I'm currently reading Tuesdays with Morrie which is pretty good book to read when you get a chance to do.

ShadesOfMe
Veteran
Veteran

25 Jan 2008, 6:03 am

What happened to Lani Garver. I've read that more than any other book.

yvaN_ehT_nioJ
Veteran
Veteran

25 Jan 2008, 7:14 am

Right now I'm reading an Omnibus called The Last Chancers. The plots in the books contained within is about like the plot from the movie The Dirty Dozen. In it, a bunch of war criminals are given one more chance to try to good and that's by completing a suicide mission. Whoever lives through the mission is given a pardon for there crimes. I'm about halfway through and it's pretty interesting thus far.

SierraBell
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

25 Jan 2008, 1:38 pm

I have MANY books that I like. I used to LOVE the Warrior Books by Erin Hunter, but ever since the Power of three books came out, I decided not to buy them anymore because the plot suddenly got bad. In my opinion at least...

I'm reading this book called "A Veil of Roses". It's about this girl from Iran that comes to America to see her sister and to find a husband because of an arranged marriage. She gets a culture shock while she's there too. Yes, it's fictional.

It's interesting to think of how other countries might look at my country, the USA.

I also like this book Mutant Message Down Under, which is about a doctor from the US and comes to Austrailia for a business trip. She suddenly finds herself stranded with a clan of Aborigines and they show her the ways of their culture. It's interesting to read if you like learning about other cultures. Yes, it's a fictional story, but it's still cool.

SpaceStace
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

25 Jan 2008, 4:45 pm

Fatal-Noogie wrote:
I'm a big fan of Mark Twain. I recommend his short stories, especially "Journalism in Tennessee", "How I Edited an Agricultural Paper", "The Facts Concerning the Recent Carnival of Crime in Connecticut", "A Double Barrel Detective Story", and "The Stolen White Elephant".
I think those are some of the funniest humor stories of all time, but that's just me.

My fav Twain is "The Innocents Abroad."

Right now I'm reading and loving Tolstoy's classic "War and Peace." I got bored of reading the same kinds of books (sci-fi and fantasy) all the time, so I picked up a list of the 100 Best Novels of the Last Century and I'm working my way through it (not in order - jumping around). So far, they're all pretty amazing.

Carole
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker

31 Jan 2008, 8:28 pm

Quote:
I have MANY books that I like. I used to LOVE the Warrior Books by Erin Hunter, but ever since the Power of three books came out, I decided not to buy them anymore because the plot suddenly got bad. In my opinion at least...

i have resently bought Warriors: The Power of Three: Dark River. i think that the plot is getting better in every book.

P.S. SierraBell try reading the Maximum Ride series i have read all 3 books and i now i am a huge fan of the series. ALSO THEY ARE GOING TO MAKE A Maximum Ride MOVIE SOON

Jaejoongfangirl
Veteran
Veteran

31 Jan 2008, 11:50 pm

Any of Libba Bray's books. Especially A Great and Terrible Beauty and the rest of that trilogy.
They are amazing, especially if you are a girl. They are greatness.
I highly reccomend all of them.

Afroman
Blue Jay
Blue Jay

01 Feb 2008, 1:26 pm

I just finished the Eisenhorn Omnibus........ and it was very good

The Eisenhorn series of novels:

Xenos
Malleus
Hereticus
(These books are collected in The Eisenhorn Omnibus)

In the grim far future, the Inquisition moves amongst mankind like an avenging shadow, striking down daemons, aliens and heretics with uncompromising ruthlessness.

Written by Gaunt’s Ghosts creator Dan Abnett, this volume charts the career of Inquisitor Gregor Eisenhorn as he changes from being a zealoyus upholder of the truth to collaborating with the very powers he once swore to destroy!

Part detective story, part interplanetary epic, Xenos, Malleus, Hereticus and the two linking stories are amongst the very best tales ever told by the Black Library.