UK: Protect your data: opt-out of NHS medical database!

Page 1 of 1 [ 8 posts ] 

Tequila
Veteran
Veteran

17 Jan 2008, 4:23 pm

http://www.thebigoptout.org

My doctor has basically advised me to send a letter in the morning as he doesn't trust this scheme at all and knows I don't either. Those that are the tiniest bit worried about this should do it pronto.

riverotter
Veteran
Veteran

17 Jan 2008, 4:34 pm

This is the same thing that the US wants to do with a nationalized medical records database, even though we do not have nationalized healthcare. It is ostensibly to provide more efficient and safer care. But I find it terrifying.
I started to look at this website and there is a typo in the first sentence on the homepage. That always makes it difficult for me to read on, but I will (eventually).

LeKiwi
Veteran
Veteran

17 Jan 2008, 4:40 pm

Bloody hell... are you sure it's not too late? I don't trust this govt one bit - specially not after all the CDs they lost recently. Why has this not been publicised more?

I'm going to print it out at work first thing tomorrow morning and send it at lunch.

logitechdog
Veteran
Veteran

17 Jan 2008, 4:47 pm

Don't think you need to care about them losing data like that, they already lose the rest by stupidly sticking the data on to cds, that’s what they are trying to do, take it away so it stays in the secure system, rather than them having to stick the data onto a portable data system, then stupidly send it off with the rest of the post, instead of using a private secure data firm, rather it stay in a secure system than them downloading the database to other things, & remove all the access ports from the machines, or even so in files were anyone can read it that does not have access...

psych
Veteran
Veteran

17 Jan 2008, 4:49 pm

thanks!

going to deliver this by hand tomorrow.

I had a friend who legally demanded to see his medical records after sent to the psych ward overnight. To our amazement they were full of weird fantastical s**t. Turns out he'd been reciting rap lyrics while he was in there and it had been recorded as fact!

LeKiwi
Veteran
Veteran

17 Jan 2008, 5:02 pm

HAHAHA... well, that's not all bad, I imagine if you were reciting Thou Shalt Always Kill by Dan Le Sac vs Scroobius Pip they could thing you were a wise prophet with a genius IQ... ;)

zebedee
Toucan
Toucan

17 Jan 2008, 5:33 pm

thanks for this :)

lupin
Toucan
Toucan

17 Jan 2008, 8:03 pm

Thanks Tequila - really good reminder.

God knows what morons and idiots could access everything about you via this database. What an absolutely mad and control freak idea. Typical of this gvt.