Page 1 of 1 [ 7 posts ] 

Aspie_Rocker
Blue Jay
Blue Jay

20 Jan 2008, 6:26 pm

Is anybody else her an aquarium enthusiast? I have a 29 gallon with 2 convicts.

They spawned about a week and a half ago. I only have about 15 fry (baby fish) still alive though. Long story, but I fixed the problem.

Phagocyte
Veteran
Veteran

20 Jan 2008, 8:32 pm

I am!

I have a thirty-gallon freshwater tropical tank, and it's been set up for almost eight years. Initially a had quite a few fish, but as the inhabitants died off I did not replace them, since I think I'll start over with a new tank setup after this. I have a clown loach who has been with me for about seven years (and he was an adult when I got him), and a dojo (an eel-like sort of bottom-feeder).

I had some interesting tank inhabitants in the past. Among them I had a foot-long plecostamus, cardinal tetras (like neon tetras except less common with slightly darker and more vivid colors), and even an electric-blue crayfish (I had him in a separate cold-water tank though). I may spring for a saltwater tank a little later on, I'd love to have a sea anenome and some clownfish.

Needless to say, it's a fun hobby. Congrats on the spawning!

Aspie_Rocker
Blue Jay
Blue Jay

20 Jan 2008, 9:44 pm

[quote="Phagocyte"]cardinal tetras (like neon tetras except less common with slightly darker and more vivid colors)quote]

You dont have to explain to me what a cardinal tetra is. Im pretty serious about my aquarium enthusiasm. Its one of my obsessions (because of hte aspergers).

Ticker
Veteran
Veteran

20 Jan 2008, 9:59 pm

Hi, I have a 25 gallon tall tank and a 7 gallon tank in the bathroom. I used to have 5 tanks up but found that was too much maintenance with the constant water changes.

My 25 gallon has 2 banjo catfish that are 8 years old and two rare dwarf Pl*cos that are at least 7 years old. It also has several pencilfish, cardinal tetras and white clouds, a blue opaline gourami and golden pearl gourami and one Chinese gold barb. I just realized my gold barb school has slowly died out so I need to get some new friends for my gold barb. The blue opaline gourami is big and mean, about 6 inches long. I call him Oscar after Oscar the Grouch. The Golden gourami was bigger and mean but once I put Oscar in the tank he turned into the tank bully and grew huge. He has a scar on his forehead where he has repeatedly jumped out of the water and hit the hood on the tank and injured himself repeatedly.

In my 7 gallon tank I have 4 young guppies that were born this past summer. I didn't think they were mature yet, but I just discovered a few days ago two tiny babies so the male guppy has breed with 1 of his 3 sisters. I thought oh great! inbred fish, but I noticed the babies are gone so they probably were eaten.

Aspie_Rocker
Blue Jay
Blue Jay

20 Jan 2008, 10:07 pm

Glad to see water changes are actually a pain for you. Well, I mean, because most people dont even do water changes! There not aquarium enthusiasts, there fish-havers, not fish-keepers.

Any of you guys a member of any aquarium message boards? Im a member of www.aquahobby.com

Ticker
Veteran
Veteran

21 Jan 2008, 12:41 am

Yes I try to do water changes on schedule though algae has gotten out of hand in my large tank. But I planning on doing a complete scrub down of the tank soon. The fish are still okay; it just looks bad.

But I understand where you are coming from. I particularly loathe the people that are not fishkeepers but will go buy a 1/2 gallon tank and put a poor betta in the underwater prison in a cold airconditioned office. I've got into it with a few people over this because I find it cruel, as is keeping a betta in a plant vase and expecting it to somehow derive food from the roots of the plant.

I think it speaks for itself that I have 8 year old fish as to what kind of fishkeeper I am.

Oh and yes I did used to belong to two fish boards but I think neither exist anymore. I even still have a t-shirt made up by the members of a fish board called Tom's Place.

Phagocyte
Veteran
Veteran

21 Jan 2008, 1:02 am

Aspie_Rocker wrote:
You dont have to explain to me what a cardinal tetra is. Im pretty serious about my aquarium enthusiasm. Its one of my obsessions (because of hte aspergers).

I'm sorry, I couldn't gage your experience level from the original topic so I played it safe by explaining. I used to be really into it, so I know a bit about it. It's amazing how much a ten-year-old's brain can soak up when he's determined to prove to his parents that he can maintain an aquarium. :lol:

Aspie_Rocker wrote:
Glad to see water changes are actually a pain for you. Well, I mean, because most people dont even do water changes! There not aquarium enthusiasts, there fish-havers, not fish-keepers.

I know, it's a shame how some people treat their tanks, overstocking seems by far to be the most common problem. Water changes are definitely a must (I use a five gallon bucket for aging water), it's disturbing that most people don't do them. I have a bit of an algae problem (after my pleco died), but the water quality has always been stable.