Page 1 of 1 [ 4 posts ] 

Dej
Pileated woodpecker
Pileated woodpecker

06 Sep 2005, 7:05 pm

While looking for scholarships i found this site, is this for an actual money scholarship for Asperger's?

http://www.theinteractaward.co.uk/

nirrti_rachelle
Veteran
Veteran

06 Sep 2005, 8:10 pm

I looked over the website and it seems that the "award" is actually some kind of program that's supposed to help people with Asperger's intergrate easier in a university environment, not a scholarship. Some of what they had to say about people with AS, I found quite underestimating, as if whoever runs this program does it from a standpoint that we're just totally incompetent.

For example......

Common Learning Needs
Students need to learn:

*To be realistic in their ideas and expectations

(Realistic, as in limiting our potential? Uh-uh!)

*Fantasies about abilities are out of line with academic achievement
(My experiences have been the opposite. People tend underestimate us. And "realistic" usually turns out to be whatever someone else thinks you can do, not your true potental)

*They report independence but can only performed with support

(What? Many of us have been dealing with bullies, rejection from other kids, teachers who saw us the problem....we've been coping without support for quite some time.)

*They are not responsible for themselves

(Are they kidding?)

*They have been too well supported in adapted schools

(Like I said, what support? And how can anyone have "too much"?)

*They are unable to explain Asperger Syndrome and it's affects

(Judging from the folks at WP, we can explain ourselves just fine.)

*Self esteem and confidence are too low or too high

(Yeah, too low if all you're told is what you can't do.....And what the heck is "too high" self-esteem. It's okay in the NT world but not the aspie world?)

If I were in a program like this when I was in university, there's no way I would've gotten a degree in journalism because I would've been told I was too shy and couldn't handle interviewing people. I was a reporter for my school's newspaper, aced public speaking class, interviewed a famous civil rights era photographer and was more accepted in college than I ever was in K-12.......and I lived on my own plus had a job. Um, What was that we're not capable of doing, again?. :x :x

PhoenixKitten
Veteran
Veteran

06 Sep 2005, 8:39 pm

Oh noes, I don't know how to explain my Aspergers!! !

Oh, wait a minute, I do, it's just no one believes me... :roll:

Honestly, if I had 5c for every time that someone makes an intelligent statement like 'but you can/do do (insert task here) so evidently you can/do do (insert other task here)'! It's always interesting trying to explain to people that whilst I can perseverate on certain things for hours, my English essay is still going undone because I just can't get myself started! Oh, and try telling people that yes, it is actually true that you enjoy the sound of loud music but the sound of someone eating an apple/breathing/coughing makes you (want to) scream... 'but you like the loud music...'.

:roll:

Litguy
Veteran
Veteran

06 Sep 2005, 8:41 pm

And we "often act out." I often act out and am darn proud of it.