Page 1 of 1 [ 10 posts ] 

Ginap73
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

21 Jan 2008, 10:25 pm

Has anyone else felt trapped because your unable to do things you really want? I do not drive and have to totally depend on my family, which is getting to more of a pain than not because no one wants to go anywhere. All they want to do is stay home and rest.

I am home all week because I am working on my own biz. but the rest of the family goes to work. so when I want to go anywhere after feeling trapped all week at home , no one wants to.

If I could drive I would. but that's not an option as the road, sights and sounds of other cars and people is too over stimulating.

chesirecat
Blue Jay
Blue Jay

21 Jan 2008, 10:50 pm

I feel trapped but in a suicidal way, not because I don't have the freedom to drive.

whatamess
Veteran
Veteran

22 Jan 2008, 12:06 am

Could you possibly drive at night? I know that for a long time I worked nights because that's when I function the best. Probably because there are not as many loud noises, bright lights, etc...When I had to return to working days, it was horrible for me...I hated driving...Over the years, I've gotten used to it...but I normally don't like to go out during the day or do anything...I'd rather sleep all day and then be awake or go out at night.

Ginap73
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

22 Jan 2008, 12:43 am

No I couldn't because the dmv wouldn't give tests at night even if i could.

TLPG
Veteran
Veteran

22 Jan 2008, 6:00 am

I've never driven either, but I've managed to adjust thanks to public transport and my love of trains (travelling on them - not the mechanics of them). Sometimes it can be entrapping depending on where I want to go or when, but I do OK. I don't work, but that's beside the point.

But on the general issue of feeling trapped - yes, there have been times where I've felt like that. It's why I left my first job, because they were trying to trap me in what they wanted me to do. I sought protection, only to get accused of wilful misconduct (falsely). I was on the verge of a nervous breakdown and the only way to avoid the trap was to quit. I know that's what they wanted, but medically I had no choice. Not that they would admit it!

Others have tried to trap me and force me down a certain line. I won't have it and I fight it. Money is a big issue for me and that plays a part in one of the traps I'm actually partly restricted by at the moment. I am doing something about it though.

I do know this - feeling trapped is a mental health threat to me, and I hate it.

Azharia
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

22 Jan 2008, 8:37 am

whatamess wrote:
Could you possibly drive at night? I know that for a long time I worked nights because that's when I function the best. Probably because there are not as many loud noises, bright lights, etc...When I had to return to working days, it was horrible for me...I hated driving...Over the years, I've gotten used to it...but I normally don't like to go out during the day or do anything...I'd rather sleep all day and then be awake or go out at night.

Yea I always prefer driving at night, but manage during the day with strong sunglasses. And calm music on the CD player turned up just loud enough to blur the other noises. Tried music?

Of course I could be being Ignorant. I'm from Cork in Ireland, and the roads here are probably smaller.

CockneyRebel
Veteran
Veteran

22 Jan 2008, 8:43 am

I don't feel trapped. :)

DejaQ
Veteran
Veteran

22 Jan 2008, 4:54 pm

I want to go almost everywhere, but at most I can only travel within the confines of my hometown.

pakled
Veteran
Veteran

22 Jan 2008, 10:22 pm

mainly because I'm so broke, I can't even pay attention...;) aside from that, life is good...;)

eldarhadzi
Emu Egg
Emu Egg

22 Jan 2008, 10:50 pm

I feel trapped financially because I don't have much money coming in so I'm restricted to what I can do/how often I can do anything.