Page 1 of 1 [ 14 posts ] 

Mikhaillost
Toucan
Toucan

23 Jan 2008, 8:53 am

I didn't even notice this about myself but my Grammar Nazi friend did.

I have problems using personal pronouns. Like I will refer to myself as "we" but then use "am". Or conversly "I" followed by "are." When I type there is no issue with it.

Another thing I can't seem to do properly is use things like "We were" I always say "We was" I am not sure after it is pointed out weither I am talking about myself or multiple people. Again, I am always able to type it correctly and I know what it should be.

Do anyone else have this problem, if so, how do you fix it.

Thank you.

2ukenkerl
Veteran
Veteran

23 Jan 2008, 9:01 am

WOW, that sounds like "kingdom of rats"' problem! I thought she did that to make things easier on her. As for Aspies, apparently aspies are among those wanting to point out such failings, and usually NOT commiting them. It IS interesting though, that some AS people switch pronouns, which sounds ALMOST similar.

Liverbird
Supporting Member
Supporting Member

23 Jan 2008, 9:03 am

I've been told that I often use "we" instead of me or I.

Someone asked me if I had multiple personalities.

That's funny!

Danielismyname
Veteran
Veteran

23 Jan 2008, 9:08 am

It's an autism thing; generally, those who confuse pronouns, use third person, and whatnot in everyday speech are generally autistic compared to Asperger's (verbal communication difficulties are a hallmark between the two).

Personally, I prefer to use "me" instead of "I"; Daniel also prefers to speak outside of his body, but I had a years worth of speech therapy that corrected my speech "problems" so one wouldn't know I have a verbal impairment (I sometimes use "me" instead of "I" in interpersonal communication with people who're close to me).

Speech therapy and repetition seemed to have helped me.

Also, it generally has to be an ongoing/common thing to be classed as an impairment (see: autism compared to Asperger's), i.e., "clinically significant".

Sifr
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

23 Jan 2008, 9:32 am

I am prone to do this but I correct myself while it's coming out:

We wa...e're.

They..ull be...

I always thought it was a Southern thing. :lol:

nutbag
Veteran
Veteran

23 Jan 2008, 10:16 am

We often do that too. We have had it pointed out to me. Also we have a tendency to use the pronoun "you" in place of "I" as in "Then you go home." meainin og course that "I" went home.

We dislike personal reference.

cynicism occurs immediately upon pressing your brain's start button

2ukenkerl
Veteran
Veteran

23 Jan 2008, 10:27 am

nutbag wrote:
We dislike personal reference.

You have a point THERE! I used to be that EXACT same way.

I STILL may use "you"(as the accepted informal way of saying "one"), when referring to myself in regards to some thing often done by many. I also generally refer to a group in the third person or directly even if I am part of the group. (e.g. "Men do ...","Aspies do ...")

If I say "YOU" though, it may be taken as we, they, or you, but not I! I or ME means just that.

As for fixing it, people talk by habit! REHEARSE a bit, and keep trying to correct yourself, maybe even mentally, ahead of the fact. EVENTUALLY, you will do it right with NO correction.

Ticker
Veteran
Veteran

23 Jan 2008, 4:21 pm

I think what you speak of is a form of Aphasia. I was diagnosed with it along with about 6 other things on my neuropsych eval. Aphasia is either the wrong word coming out when you meant to say something else or sometimes nothing coming out cause you can't mentally process what word to say yet you do perfectly well writing what you want to say.

Maybe this will help you my OT is treating me for the Aphasia by making me talk while also doing the cleaning and organizing tasks she is teaching me. Its funny though how her questions totally change from one topic to something entirely different and its even funnier some of the stuff I tell her!

Averick
Veteran
Veteran

23 Jan 2008, 7:12 pm

Liverbird wrote:
I've been told that I often use "we" instead of me or I.

Someone asked me if I had multiple personalities.

That happened before at least twice.

Danielismyname
Veteran
Veteran

23 Jan 2008, 8:48 pm

I was conversing with my mother, speaking of my early developmental history; I used, "us" instead of "we" in the sentence "we are going out", I also referred to myself as Daniel almost exclusively. Daniel hungry instead "I am hungry". I called my sister "girl" too. All of this was constant.

She said that a massive amount of corrective repetition on her part fixed my speech; she's certain that if I didn't have said therapy from her [or anyone], I would still be talking as such.

I can see why children who start off as autistic are later rediagnosed as Asperger's as their speech improves naturally or with therapy.

aaronrey
Toucan
Toucan

23 Jan 2008, 8:53 pm

i have problems with slangs and profanity. i can never use slangs and profanity in a conversation.

pakled
Veteran
Veteran

23 Jan 2008, 9:21 pm

referring to ones' self in the 3rd person merely confirms that you're royalty..;)

I have problems sometimes trying to use 2 words at the same time; I get some odd combinations..;)

Brittany2907
The ultimate storm is eternally on it's
The ultimate storm is eternally on it's

23 Jan 2008, 10:22 pm

When I was a young child [under 5 years old] I used to refer to myself as "she" instead of "I". For example instead of saying "I want a drink"...I would say..."She want a drink".
Over time, I stopped doing this without any speech therapy.

Who_Am_I
Veteran
Veteran

23 Jan 2008, 10:32 pm

I sometimes have problems with saying the correct pronoun; I know what I want to say but it comes out wrong.

Deceptive cadence: V- ANYTHING BUT I ! !! !
Beethoven cadence: V-I-V-I-V-V-V-I-I-I-I-I-I-I-I-I-I-I
-I-I-I-I-I-I-I-I! I! I! I I I