Debunking the myths about childhood

Page 1 of 1 [ 7 posts ] 

Aspie1
Veteran
Veteran

25 Jan 2008, 7:32 pm

I'd like to dedicate this thread to disproving the lies many people believe about childhoods. There are many, and most of them are very untrue. I put it in the Parents' forum, rather than the General forum, due to a demographic I'm intending to reach. Namely, my intention is to show parents what children, possibly even their own, truly think about their childhoods.

Myth
A childhood can be compared to a peaceful garden, with soft grass, beautiful trees, flowers, and friendly animals. Very few bad things happen there, because of stone walls surrounding it, to keep all the bad things out. Children happily wander around the garden, feeling a sense of wonder about many things they find. (excerpt from a parenting article)
Fact
The garden in question is more like a medium-security prison. The walls are high and thick, with barbed wire on top. Prison guards just outside the entrance make sure the children stay inside, using whatever methods they consider appropriate. Most guards aren't even sure what the supposed garden looks like inside. (except from a children's rights site)

Myth
Childhood is the time of innocence, freedom from responsibility, happiness, and joy. It's one of the best time of a person's life.
Fact
Childhood is the time of oppression. Think of the clones in the movie The Island. Their every move was monitored, recorded, and controlled. That's how most childhoods are, except there is no escaping the control (disragarding what "going to the Island" really meant).

Myth
Childhood is one the best times of your life.
Fact
Whoever says it should be forced to be a kid again. Why? See above.

If you know any other myth you'd like to debunk, post it here. We aspies know how unhappy childhoods can be. Now let's get the message out. For consistency's sake, use the myth/fact format if you can.

Last edited by Aspie1 on 25 Jan 2008, 8:02 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Reodor_Felgen
Veteran
Veteran

25 Jan 2008, 7:41 pm

I think childhood was much easier than adulthood. It was easier making friends, since NTs didn't mind my poor social skills as much as they do today. I have to read for mabe 3-4 hours after school if I want to pass in all subjects. As a child I didn't give a flying f**k about school and it wouldn't matter (there aren't grades in elementary school in Norway). Nobody expected me to work either.

Fuck. This will override the swear word filter.

woodsman25
Supporting Member
Supporting Member

25 Jan 2008, 9:28 pm

While life is far from perfect, I would give anything to be a kid again. Overall I was very happy with my childhood and would not traid it for all the riches in the world.

WurdBendur
Veteran
Veteran

25 Jan 2008, 9:37 pm

I think I was happier before I started feeling rejected and anxious and withdrew into myself. But this period does not remotely represent my entire childhood.

People tend to remember being happier than they really were. And it's not just childhood. People do it at any age. You probably feel like life was less stressful a week ago. But by comparison, it must seem to have been a utopia when you were a child.

Apparently you don't really remember growing up. I remember it.

equinn
Veteran
Veteran

25 Jan 2008, 10:04 pm

Blessed...what it is to be young:
to be of, to be for, to be among
to be enchanted, enthralled,
be the caller, the called,
the singer, the song, the sung. :D

--D. McCord

Mikomi
Veteran
Veteran

25 Jan 2008, 11:50 pm

I'm sooo glad my childhood is behind me.

ster
Veteran
Veteran

26 Jan 2008, 6:35 am

i know many people who had crappy childhoods~mine included. i also know many people who had relatively good childhoods. i would give just about anything to be able to have had a good childhood.....i wouldn't be dealing with the repercussions of my childhood today if that were the case.