Autism is genetic. I support a cure. 19%  19%  [ 7 ]
Autism has environmental causes. I support a cure. 6%  6%  [ 2 ]
Autism has environmental causes. I oppose a cure. 8%  8%  [ 3 ]
Total votes : 36

paulsinnerchild
Veteran
Veteran

27 Jan 2008, 9:24 pm

I only support a cure for the most severe form, like non-verbal autism and Heller's syndrome

Reodor_Felgen
Veteran
Veteran

27 Jan 2008, 10:09 pm

Quote:
why support cure for 'strong' autism but not for 'weak' autism when there are people of both groups who want,and don't want a cure?
am have asked this so often on here,but why does having strong autism make people automatically assume auties want cures,yet those classed as being high functioning AD or AS have 'too weak' autism to need cure?
Am do not want a cure having never known any different way of life and thinking but would like to weaken and remove some traits,however,other lf/mf auties do want full cures,others don't-there isn't one answer,but there is one common thing shared-the belief from others that auties automatically want cures.
HFAs/aspie autists shouldn't be automatically judged as all having 'weak' autism either-ie,weak enough to not want cures.
Am have met various lf HFAs/aspies through an ld institution,the attached respite centre,and the last residential home am used to live in,these are the places where social stuff is the least of the problems.

This is the problem with seeing all classic autists and all hf ADers/aspies as the same on the cure debate,someone with weaker autism cannot speak for someone with stronger autism,and the same back.

I think you misunderstood what I said. I'm for a hypothetical cure for severe autism such as Rett syndrome or non-verbal autism. In any case, the difference between lower-functioning individuals on the spectrum and higher-function is huge. I've "talked" to non-verbal autistics and other severly autistic people before, and I didn't feel that I had much in common with them.

I'm also for a partial cure for higher-functioning individuals on the spectrum, but only to cure the poor social skills.

Fuck. This will override the swear word filter.

Orwell
Veteran
Veteran

27 Jan 2008, 10:23 pm

Phagocyte wrote:
The metric system is superior and easier to use, and even in the U.S. the metric system is used entirely in the scientific measurements, as base 10 is much more practical. However, in regards to temperatures I think that using Kelvins is better than both the Celcius and Farenheit scale. I think we should definitely dump the U.S. system. At least from a science major's perspective.

Metric system is superior, but we still don't use it in scientific measurements. Yes, all your classes in school will stick with the metric system, because it is better, but in actual engineering applications we still use the crappy US system. How much fun when you get to use the Rankine scale to talk about temperature!

Phagocyte
Veteran
Veteran

27 Jan 2008, 10:29 pm

Orwell wrote:
Phagocyte wrote:
The metric system is superior and easier to use, and even in the U.S. the metric system is used entirely in the scientific measurements, as base 10 is much more practical. However, in regards to temperatures I think that using Kelvins is better than both the Celcius and Farenheit scale. I think we should definitely dump the U.S. system. At least from a science major's perspective.

Metric system is superior, but we still don't use it in scientific measurements. Yes, all your classes in school will stick with the metric system, because it is better, but in actual engineering applications we still use the crappy US system. How much fun when you get to use the Rankine scale to talk about temperature!

In engineering or all of the sciences? Because in biology (at least my university's biology department) the metric system is exclusively used.

Orwell
Veteran
Veteran

27 Jan 2008, 10:44 pm

Phagocyte wrote:
Orwell wrote:
Phagocyte wrote:

In engineering or all of the sciences? Because in biology (at least my university's biology department) the metric system is exclusively used.

The "pure" sciences I think (and hope) use metric. My high school's physics class exclusively uses metric, but my dad as an engineer has to use the English system because that's what industry still uses. When they tried to switch to metric, they notated the quantity of fuel an airplane needed in kilograms but some idiot filled the plane up as though the units were pounds instead. This, as you can imagine, caused quite a scare, and so industry refused to change. Research labs, however, are probably more receptive to the metric system. As an aside, have you seen the definitions given for English system measurements? They're defined in terms of metric units! One inch is defined as being 2.54 cm exactly, so it has no independent meaning and is just a relic of a broken system.