Page 2 of 3 [ 42 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Tim_Tex
Veteran
Veteran

30 Jan 2008, 9:40 am

But many people are avoiding Mitt Romney because he's a Mormon.

Now proficient in ChatGPT!

monty
Veteran
Veteran

30 Jan 2008, 9:56 am

Tim_Tex wrote:

Yes, there is no doubt that (for some people), religious denominations, gender and race will affect their vote. But I think it has become less important than any time in US history.

whatamess
Veteran
Veteran

30 Jan 2008, 10:14 am

wow...my husband keeps saying that it will happen if he becomes president...I hope that it doesn't happen...I can't imagine...

The_Q
Pileated woodpecker
Pileated woodpecker

30 Jan 2008, 11:35 am

Tim_Tex wrote:

Is it just on the grounds that he's a Mormon? Because of a stigma that goes with it? If so, then that's just as wrong. Policy and character are the most important issues for me. For example, I like our current Prime Minister because of his polices and that he seems to be a good person, despite that he's a Christian. I'd only take issue with his beliefs if he starts to bring church and state closer together. I've seen the result of this in other countries and I don't like it.

catspurr
Veteran
Veteran

31 Jan 2008, 1:04 am

As much as Obama is being pimped in the media, I highly doubt the ones who could carry it out would do it. A random renegade for white power might try and fail much like how a random tried to shoot Reagan and failed and ...reagan was white.

If anyone would have an actual attempt from a higher up, it would be Ron Paul because they don't like him. Obama is a panderer.

IsotropicManifold
Blue Jay
Blue Jay

31 Jan 2008, 1:17 am

Fuzzy wrote:
Nah, cause the backlash would put another black/islamic in the oval office.

but white supremacists arn't that smart to think that far ahead!

Fuzzy
Veteran
Veteran

31 Jan 2008, 2:13 am

IsotropicManifold wrote:
Fuzzy wrote:

Bigotry doesn't always equate stupidity. And stupidity doesnt negate the possibility of cunning.

AlexC179
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker

31 Jan 2008, 10:55 am

Fuzzy wrote:
IsotropicManifold wrote:
Fuzzy wrote:

Bigotry doesn't always equate stupidity. And stupidity doesnt negate the possibility of cunning.
There are many white supremacists that have fought in wars for this country. They have experience with shooting people with a sniper rifle. These aren't exactly the most vocal racists out there either. Thinking that all racists and bigots are stupid is really not a good assumption. There are two types of theories related to humanity... one has everyone coming from one place (Africa) and spreading out... and the other doesn't ignore the fact that there is no way the aborigines could have gotten to Australia at that time (no land bridge like the "Indians" supposedly crossed to enter North America).

Plenty of racism up north too, just the racists there are more subversive. At least the racists in the south have the balls to be up front about it. Easier to avoid obvious racists.

The_Q
Pileated woodpecker
Pileated woodpecker

31 Jan 2008, 11:14 am

AlexC179 wrote:
There are two types of theories related to humanity... one has everyone coming from one place (Africa) and spreading out... and the other doesn't ignore the fact that there is no way the aborigines could have gotten to Australia at that time (no land bridge like the "Indians" supposedly crossed to enter North America).

You are correct in saying that there was no direct land bridge to Australia at the time the first group of Aboriginals are believed to have settled Australia. Keep in mind that there was a chain of islands leading down from South East Asia and lower sea levels would have also allowed for a more substantial chain. It would have been possible to get down to the northern coast by using makeshift rafts.

pbcoll
Veteran
Veteran

31 Jan 2008, 1:08 pm

monty wrote:
Tim_Tex wrote:

Yes, there is no doubt that (for some people), religious denominations, gender and race will affect their vote. But I think it has become less important than any time in US history.

True. In terms of race, the US is far readier to elect a black head of government (or from any other ethnic minority) than any European country, for example (though 19th century Mexico had an ethnic minority President). In terms of gender, other countries are far more advanced though. Note that for example Chile elected a single mother with no dynastic ties - which would be unthinkable in the US (incidentally the experiences of Britain and Israel are that female leaders are hardly a soft touch).

El hombre es una bestia famélica, envidiosa e insaciable. (Francisco Tario)

I'm male by the way (yes, I know my avatar is misleading).

spdjeanne
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

31 Jan 2008, 6:55 pm

I've heard some Obama supporters are not voting for Obama because they feel it would contribute to what would amount to a death sentence. Personally, I would rather he win and end up dead then lose and live. Hopefully, he will win and live!

AspE
Veteran
Veteran

31 Jan 2008, 6:59 pm

Jesus Christ, Obama is a devout Christian, don't doubt that for a second. He is in no more danger of getting killed than any president, and frankly, if Bush made it through two terms, anyone can. Our secret service is the best in the world, and Obama is already under their protection.

matrix
Veteran
Veteran

31 Jan 2008, 10:21 pm

AspE wrote:
Jesus Christ, Obama is a devout Christian, don't doubt that for a second. He is in no more danger of getting killed than any president, and frankly, if Bush made it through two terms, anyone can. Our secret service is the best in the world, and Obama is already under their protection.

Lies keep presidents safe. JFK told it like it is, and his idea of a more open government was quite unsafe. On the other hand, Bush is incredibly safe.

BluedevilsFB39
Butterfly
Butterfly

01 Feb 2008, 12:12 am

if Obama's killed I think it might be a conspiracy between VP Oprah and Dr.Phil to get Oprah into power

Syd
Veteran
Veteran

01 Feb 2008, 12:16 am

BluedevilsFB39 wrote:
if Obama's killed I think it might be a conspiracy between VP Oprah and Dr.Phil to get Oprah into power

What you've described may in fact be the best-case scenario for Thomas Naylor and the Second Vermont Republic. He might stand a chance after all!

Three cheers for Vermont Secession! :hail:

nominalist
Supporting Member
Supporting Member

01 Feb 2008, 5:52 pm

monty wrote:
Except that Barack is Christian.

Yes, he is a member of the Disciples of Christ. If I were a Christian, that would most likely be the denomination I would join. (It is, arguably, the most liberal denomination in American Christianity.)

Institute for Dialectical metaRealism: http://dmr.institute