Page 1 of 1 [ 16 posts ] 

Shadowcat
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

02 Feb 2008, 1:22 am

were any parents who watched this show angry aobut the prtayal of a boy with Autism? Wasn't it cute when the words George Michael appeared in the blocks, telling Eli what to do next?

The episode was nicely done (my opinion though). I was wanting some feedback from Parents out there just out of curiosity.

thanks so much.

ster
Veteran
Veteran

02 Feb 2008, 8:08 am

missed it

KimJ
Veteran
Veteran

02 Feb 2008, 11:12 am

I don't watch primetime tv but I heard about this show. I would have boycotted it if I watched it. I had heard about it and it's bogus storyline. Apparently the actor playing the autistic boy is really autistic. I also read that the original script was about insurance coverage for autism meds (Risperidone).

DeaconBlues
Veteran
Veteran

02 Feb 2008, 12:36 pm

But risperidal (Risperidone) is an antipsychotic, used in treatment of schizophrenia. How's that supposed to help autism???

katrine
Veteran
Veteran

02 Feb 2008, 12:39 pm

Don't now anything about the program, but risperidal is, I think, first choice for autistic kids with substantial behavioural problems like self mutilation and violence.

beau99
Veteran
Veteran

02 Feb 2008, 2:11 pm

DeaconBlues wrote:
But risperidal (Risperidone) is an antipsychotic, used in treatment of schizophrenia. How's that supposed to help autism???

It had been prescribed for autism off-label for many years, but the FDA recently approved it for autism.

However I would personally never let anyone under the age of 18 take it for any reason whatsoever, because it has some serious potential side effects.

Twitter: http://twitter.com/agenderstar

MomofTom
Veteran
Veteran

02 Feb 2008, 7:05 pm

Not meaning to be inflammatory by saying this, but the main worry is that people will start believing a fictional storyline.

Ticker
Veteran
Veteran

02 Feb 2008, 9:08 pm

Not a parent here, but as an autistic I was insulted by the actor that played the boy. But are you telling me he was really autistic though? It looked to me like they had used a lot of Hollywood makeup to give him the enormous Neanderthral forehead and hollowed out eyes like he was a meth junkie. Yeah I admit I have a slightly pronounced forehead, but not even half as big as the kid in that show. And what's with the hollowed look, black circles around his eyes and fact he had a bad haircut. Why can't we be portrayed as normal looking people who just so happen to have a developmental problem?

Cameo
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

02 Feb 2008, 10:41 pm

Hated the show. Well, the episode. Growled through most of it. I hate that they're further spreading that crap about vaccines causing autism, hated the fact that she called her kid "sick" although he seemed pretty all right to me. Hated that she got 2 million dollars for having an autistic kid. Did like that the kid wasn't over-the-top autistic stereotype, and interacted a bit with the other characters. Did like that most of the money from the lawsuit was used to start a fund for autistic kids. However, I think the idea of sueing someone for "causing" your kid's autism is ludicrous. Great way to tell your kid that something went wrong with them. Who can my mom sue? Who can she sue for my brother turning out NT?

beau99
Veteran
Veteran

03 Feb 2008, 1:16 am

Ticker wrote:
Not a parent here, but as an autistic I was insulted by the actor that played the boy. But are you telling me he was really autistic though? It looked to me like they had used a lot of Hollywood makeup to give him the enormous Neanderthral forehead and hollowed out eyes like he was a meth junkie. Yeah I admit I have a slightly pronounced forehead, but not even half as big as the kid in that show. And what's with the hollowed look, black circles around his eyes and fact he had a bad haircut. Why can't we be portrayed as normal looking people who just so happen to have a developmental problem?

Yes, he really was autistic.

But like any other actor, he knows well enough to overdo it when told.

Twitter: http://twitter.com/agenderstar

Ticker
Veteran
Veteran

03 Feb 2008, 2:18 pm

Gee who can I sue for both my parents being autistic? And my grandparents and all 6 of my cousins and half their kids also being autistic? And my step sister and her son? Autism has been around for hundreds of years.

merr
Veteran
Veteran

04 Feb 2008, 5:58 pm

Cameo wrote:
Hated the show. Well, the episode. Growled through most of it. I hate that they're further spreading that crap about vaccines causing autism, hated the fact that she called her kid "sick" although he seemed pretty all right to me. Hated that she got 2 million dollars for having an autistic kid. Did like that the kid wasn't over-the-top autistic stereotype, and interacted a bit with the other characters. Did like that most of the money from the lawsuit was used to start a fund for autistic kids. However, I think the idea of sueing someone for "causing" your kid's autism is ludicrous. Great way to tell your kid that something went wrong with them. Who can my mom sue? Who can she sue for my brother turning out NT?
I agree, but about halfway thruough the show I thought the reason why she called her son "sick," which implied that he "caught" something, was because she said that before he took the vaccine, he supposedly had no auttistic triats, and then developed them a week later. It is a little weird and of course, waaaay off base, but I suppose for the storyline, it made it seem like he "caught" something, and it was someone's miscalculations that changed the kid. She did say something that made it sound like he should be proud of his autism, but it's been a couple of days and I forgot what that was.

Tequila
Veteran
Veteran

04 Feb 2008, 6:34 pm

I have this ready to watch soon. I'll come back and let you know my thoughts when I've watched it.

greendeltatke
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

05 Feb 2008, 9:12 am

Remember, we're so used to only seeing beautiful people on American TV that any real people we see look terrible.

schleppenheimer
Veteran
Veteran

05 Feb 2008, 11:42 am

I saw the show.

I also read the "news" about Dr. Nancy Minshew (Univ. of Pittsburgh autism researcher) not liking the show, mostly because so many studies have been done saying thimerasol does not cause autism.

Was this a very Hollywood show? Yes.

Was it a somewhat outrageous in storyline? Yes.

Was it entertaining? Well, sorry, but I thought so.

Was it a documentary about Autism? Decidedly not.

If it's on primetime series television, I'm not ever expecting that the show is going to actually teach me something accurate about an issue. No way, it's just not going to happen.

The interesting thing is, it's very obviously a big, noticeable issue if THE VERY FIRST SHOW of a series uses it as its storyline. That's fairly impressive.

I don't think "Eli Stone" is going to shed much new light on the subject of autism. But if it helps a grandparent, parent, potential contributor to research, doctor, or any other person feel MORE for the subject of autism, then it's worthwhile.

Kris

Tequila
Veteran
Veteran

10 Feb 2008, 9:01 pm

I watched about fifteen minutes of this and found myself bored out of my skull. Needless to say I didn't finish it.