Speech class is going to destroy me!

Page 1 of 1 [ 14 posts ] 

fasciculation_imitation
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

10 Sep 2005, 10:19 pm

I don't why I took speech class. It's going to eat me alive.

Beyond the fact that it's public speaking, which obviously makes me uncomfortable, there's this really loud obnoxious kid right next to me who I at some point, without my knowledge, became friends with. He always tries to hug me. blech... :oops: :x

We are a nation of Indians ruled by Swedes

Bec
Veteran
Veteran

11 Sep 2005, 1:12 am

Sorry about the kid that always wants to hug you. Ugh! Public speaking makes most people really nervous. People with AS should do fine at it, though, we naturally lecture.

A saying about public speaking (can't remember where I heard it): 'The human brain is an amazing thing. It starts working the moment you are born, and stops working the moment you have to speak in public.'

fahreeq
Veteran
Veteran

11 Sep 2005, 8:28 am

I'm one of those people who never really had a problem with public speaking. As long as I have had plenty of practice and believe what I'm saying, I'm fine. A courteous audience helps with this, too. :)

Quote:
People with AS should do fine at it, though, we naturally lecture

That might be why public speaking never freaked me out. Also, my high school speech class was the first time my classmates had to listen to me without interrupting or mocking. I tend to be more confident in what I'm going to say if people at least pretend to listen. :P

larsenjw92286
Veteran
Veteran

11 Sep 2005, 8:42 am

If you can believe this, they don't offer speech class because my school district is cash-poor.

fasciculation_imitation
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

11 Sep 2005, 5:35 pm

As opposed to sausage poor? :D

Namiko
Veteran
Veteran

11 Sep 2005, 5:40 pm

One thing that has always helped me when giving speeches is to pick a few spots around the room and look at those various spots when giving my speech. Then you really don't have to make eye contact with people while you're trying to talk. It seems to work. :)

Sean
Veteran
Veteran

11 Sep 2005, 6:18 pm

Being able to give your speech with the conviction of a TV preacher helps too. :lol:

larsenjw92286
Veteran
Veteran

11 Sep 2005, 6:31 pm

I mean that literally, Erin. We didn't have very much money.

pyraxis
Veteran
Veteran

11 Sep 2005, 6:55 pm

Bec wrote:
Public speaking makes most people really nervous. People with AS should do fine at it, though, we naturally lecture.

Um, not necessarily. I made it through college speech class, but barely. Even if I "naturally lecture", I don't do it to their assignment specifications. I had to plan each speech meticulously in advance so that I could figure out what to say. Still ended up blanking out a couple times and it was really nerve-wracking.

fasciculation_imitation
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

11 Sep 2005, 8:39 pm

I got the "cash poor" reference. But as soon as I read it I thought "What if you were sausage poor?"

And a stupid post was born...

:lol:

tallgirl
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

13 Sep 2005, 11:01 am

May I recommend something that helps me focus and calms my nerves?

It is called Lemon Balm or Melissa Officianalis. It is herbal, tastes like lemons of course and I mix a dropper-full in about an inch of water and drink it.

You can buy it at most health food/organic stores for about $10.

I took this during law school finals and when I was a teller at a bank. It is a life-saver for me.

HTH,
Tallgirl.

rain
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

06 Oct 2005, 3:05 pm

Ugh, I know how you feel.
I have an hour of Spanish speaking class every week, and I hate it.

I hope it gets better for you.
Let's hope it's educational heh.

(that sausage poor thing made me laugh :wink: )

CSI_3_Katt
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

30 Nov 2005, 7:17 pm

fasciculation_imitation wrote:
Beyond the fact that it's public speaking, which obviously makes me uncomfortable, there's this really loud obnoxious kid right next to me who I at some point, without my knowledge, became friends with. He always tries to hug me. blech... :oops: :x

I've always hated having to speak in public. It's like a one-sided conversation with a lot of people watching. I have to say that I got fairly used to it by being in Drama, but the underlying fear is still there. If ever I'm partnered with someone in a group they always want to make ME talk.

I know what you mean about obnoxious kids. I have this one kid in my first AND second period he seems to think he the greatest thing since.. well... the world. And then there's these to other guys that are always poking. They seem to like it when I shriek and fall to the ground. :?:

Dead men tell no tales...unless you're in forensics.

Jack Sparrow is my Hero!

toonaspie
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

22 Dec 2005, 5:35 pm

That's weird. I must be one of few Aspies who never became a good lecturer. I am one of the worst public speakers ever. However I think you can learn alot and can even improve your speaking skills through speech classes. Some speech courses can teach you how to be a better presenter for other classes. Nexst semester I am taking a course of Argumentation and Reasoning, which I guess is supposed to help me become a better debater.