Page 1 of 3 [ 35 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3  Next

Mikomi
Veteran
Veteran

03 Feb 2008, 7:53 pm

Things I have contemplated throughout my life:

How can all of my classmates just sit still and focus?
I listened to the seconds tick on the clock, flicked my fingers repeatedly, asked to go to the restroom every class period to keep myself from going insane and fidgeted endlessly because I could feel every seam and fiber in my clothing.

How can people wear their hair in a ponytail and not constantly need to adjust it for the correct tightness?
Mine had to be just so. Not too tight, not too lose. If I moved too much and it loosened, it was hours before it was "right" again.

How can people just put on a pair of shoes, tie them haphazardly and go?
I struggled to keep my sanity over feeling that one shoe was ever so slightly tighter than the other, no matter how many times I re-tied them. My mother eventually banned tie shoes from my wardrobe.

How can people wear underwear and not give it a second thought?
I fidgeted to the point of meltdown until finally just refusing to wear them entirely when I was little. To be honest, I still can't do this and I'm almost 30.

How can people touch paper and think nothing of it?
I have extreme tactile issues with paper. Even smelling it or hearing it rub together or seeing someone else touch it totally freaks me out. It actually causes such sensory overload that I get pain in my teeth and cringe involuntarily.

How can people touch, work with and/or walk on bare/unfinished wood and think nothing of it?
AAAHHH!! !! ! *cringe/scream*

How can people scrape their teeth across metal silverware? How can people deal with other people doing it?
This is sensory hell for me. Imagine how I feel in a restaurant...the silverware is wrapped in paper napkins and there are always sounds of metal forks scraping plates and other silverware. And when people are cutting their food and the metal fork and knife connect? It hurts my teeth thinking about it.

How can people wear layers of tight clothing?
I don't like anything closely touching my skin, except leggings. Leggings are a staple of my wardrobe because I really have a difficult time wearing anything bulky, heavy or binding.

How can people deal with their homes in complete chaos?
I don't know why, but if my home is a mess, my whole world feels chaotic and disorganized. I'll even clean other peoples' homes if they're messy. People I babysat for used to love me - they'd come home and their VHS tapes would be alphabetized and the dishes would no longer be in the sink lol

How can people deal with Wal Mart during regular shopping hours?
The sounds, the crowds, the smells, the brutal lighting, the various beeping noises, the booming voices over the loudspeakers, the godawful canny pop music filtering through static crackled speakers...

How can people deal with northern winters?
The most clothing I am comfortable in is shorts, t-shirt, flip flops and - if necessary, a hoodie.

I'm sure there are more. I'll add them as I remember. Feel free to add yours and/or comment.

KingdomOfRats
Veteran
Veteran

03 Feb 2008, 8:22 pm

Mikomi,
have ever tried mens boxer shorts for underwear?
am female,but have always worn these as cannot tolerate any other kind,used to steal dads,until got own.

>>>help to keep bullying off our community,report it!

Bea
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

03 Feb 2008, 8:34 pm

I've never been able to stand the feel and sound of satin or taffeta. shudder

Berserker
Veteran
Veteran

03 Feb 2008, 8:55 pm

How can people hate video games?

I'm obsessed with video games, and I can't understand how people don't like them. I'm like IdahoRose - she can't live without anime, and I can't live without video games!

Mikomi
Veteran
Veteran

03 Feb 2008, 8:58 pm

KingdomOfRats wrote:
Mikomi,
have ever tried mens boxer shorts for underwear?
am female,but have always worn these as cannot tolerate any other kind,used to steal dads,until got own.

Boxers (they're bunchy), lady boxer briefs, thongs, granny panties, regular panties, seamless, satin, cotton, polyester, dude boxers, stretchy undies, string undies, lol, I don't think there's a variety out there I haven't tried. The only thing that works is wearing tights/pantyhose under my leggings or pants because the crotch area doesn't actually make contact with my skin (so I feel no seams) and it's better than going commando! Opaque tights are a must for wearing skirts, obviously :lol:

Kezzstar
Veteran
Veteran

03 Feb 2008, 9:07 pm

Mikomi wrote:
Things I have contemplated throughout my life:

I listened to the seconds tick on the clock, flicked my fingers repeatedly, asked to go to the restroom every class period to keep myself from going insane and fidgeted endlessly because I could feel every seam and fiber in my clothing.

How can people wear their hair in a ponytail and not constantly need to adjust it for the correct tightness?
Mine had to be just so. Not too tight, not too lose. If I moved too much and it loosened, it was hours before it was "right" again.

I struggled to keep my sanity over feeling that one shoe was ever so slightly tighter than the other, no matter how many times I re-tied them. My mother eventually banned tie shoes from my wardrobe.

I fidgeted to the point of meltdown until finally just refusing to wear them entirely when I was little. To be honest, I still can't do this and I'm almost 30.

I have extreme tactile issues with paper. Even smelling it or hearing it rub together or seeing someone else touch it totally freaks me out. It actually causes such sensory overload that I get pain in my teeth and cringe involuntarily.

How can people touch, work with and/or walk on bare/unfinished wood and think nothing of it?
AAAHHH!! !! ! *cringe/scream*

How can people scrape their teeth across metal silverware? How can people deal with other people doing it?
This is sensory hell for me. Imagine how I feel in a restaurant...the silverware is wrapped in paper napkins and there are always sounds of metal forks scraping plates and other silverware. And when people are cutting their food and the metal fork and knife connect? It hurts my teeth thinking about it.

I don't like anything closely touching my skin, except leggings. Leggings are a staple of my wardrobe because I really have a difficult time wearing anything bulky, heavy or binding.

I don't know why, but if my home is a mess, my whole world feels chaotic and disorganized. I'll even clean other peoples' homes if they're messy. People I babysat for used to love me - they'd come home and their VHS tapes would be alphabetized and the dishes would no longer be in the sink lol

The sounds, the crowds, the smells, the brutal lighting, the various beeping noises, the booming voices over the loudspeakers, the godawful canny pop music filtering through static crackled speakers...

The most clothing I am comfortable in is shorts, t-shirt, flip flops and - if necessary, a hoodie.

I'm sure there are more. I'll add them as I remember. Feel free to add yours and/or comment.

This drives me nuts too. I have to be doing something, which is why I used to just draw in class and pretend that that bloody clock wasn't there. Didn't work too well.

I hated it when my ponytail ever got loose. It had to be ultra-tight. So I got my hair cut.

I can't have laces either-but then I've always hated those.

I can live with them, but bras absolutely kill me. ARGH!! !! !! !! !! !! !

Paper I'm okay with. I actually like new paper.

I can kind of live with that, but it has to be spotless. Or else I go mad.

No idea. I can do it, but I prefer my fingers.

My clothing is nearly all loose. Except for when I have to go out and wear 'nice' stuff.

I'm bad for being messy LOL.

I do it by hiding behind my boyfriend. But it's still stressful.

COLD!! !! !! !! ! NOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!! !! !! !! !! !! ! I CAN'T STAND THE COLD IT HURTS!! !! !! !! !! !

:)

Cameo
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

03 Feb 2008, 9:10 pm

Mikomi wrote:

Arrghh, I know!! ! I hate that! I re-tie my shoes all the time, and am constantly pulling on the middle part under the laces because it feels like it slips to one side or the other.

2ukenkerl
Veteran
Veteran

03 Feb 2008, 9:15 pm

WOW, this brings back memories!

Focus? I generally daydreamed!
Shoes? Luckily I am not quite so sensitive, but I tie knots twice.
Underwear? I had problems before say 11, and now they're back a bit. :?
Paper? I HATE it! I hate even MONEY. :?
floors? Teeth? people? YIKES!
As for northern winters, do you mean like alaska? I am in Boston, and the winters here don't seem that bad. :lol: Of course, I wouldn't wear flip flops in the cold winter snow/icerain.

As for the hair, you sound JUST like violett on lemony snickets! :lol:

Berserker
Veteran
Veteran

03 Feb 2008, 9:22 pm

Why didn't anyone answer mine? :?

Mikomi
Veteran
Veteran

03 Feb 2008, 9:43 pm

2ukenkerl wrote:

As for northern winters, do you mean like alaska? I am in Boston, and the winters here don't seem that bad. :lol: Of course, I wouldn't wear flip flops in the cold winter snow/icerain.

Not Alaska, the midwest. Gets darn cold here and very snowy. And no flip flops in winter :( Boots feel big, sloppy and uncomfortable.

the_phoenix
Veteran
Veteran

03 Feb 2008, 9:45 pm

Hail and well met, Mikomi:

Because, at least in the earlier grades, I was promised that whenever I finished my in-class assignment early, that I would be rewarded with using the extra time to read anything I wished.

Mom would never allow me to have a ponytail. My hair got cut so short that I was once mistaken for a boy. Anyways, those ponytail boondoggles looked painful so I was glad never to wear them, although my childhood friend who wore a ponytail always looked beautiful.

This reminds me of an old Peanuts cartoon. First panel, Linus has his tongue hanging out while his shoelaces lay limp on the ground. Second panel, Linus is clutching his throat gasping for air while his laces are utterly tight. Third panel, Linus is smiling normally and explains, "When my shoes aren't tied right, I can't breathe."

I was lucky enough to find a style that's comfortable.

Only times it bothers me is when the paper is wet, or if I get a paper cut.

Actually, I love the feel of bare wood, but it has to be finished and smooth. A hardwood floor is okay.

This bothers me even when I happen to do it. It bothers me even thinking about it.

Only times I can manage with some level of comfort are when it's necessary for work, or in winter to keep warm.

My apartment is currently complete chaos. This needs to change. I'm going to start this week.

I can handle it although of course fewer people make shopping more convenient.

Am an exception in that I LOVE winter to the point where I've teasingly hinted at some resemblance between myself and the Queen of Narnia. Survived the Blizzard of '77 in the Buffalo, NY area, and am a landscape photographer who loves snow scenes!

"It's the end of the world as we know it, and I feel fine." -- REM

Last edited by the_phoenix on 05 Feb 2008, 10:07 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Berserker
Veteran
Veteran

03 Feb 2008, 10:02 pm

><

Brittany2907
The ultimate storm is eternally on it's
The ultimate storm is eternally on it's

03 Feb 2008, 10:39 pm

Mikomi wrote:

I have no idea how people can do this either.
If my pony tail is not "right" I will figit with it for hours until it's "right". At school I was known as the "girl who pats her head". :oops:

2ukenkerl
Veteran
Veteran

03 Feb 2008, 10:39 pm

Mikomi wrote:
2ukenkerl wrote:

Not Alaska, the midwest. Gets darn cold here and very snowy. And no flip flops in winter :( Boots feel big, sloppy and uncomfortable.

Well, I HAVE been in michigan, illinois, and indiana, in winter. The coldest it has gotten, while I was there, was -17F. :? (WITH windchill)

Vince
Veteran
Veteran

04 Feb 2008, 9:42 am

I live in Sweden. I hate winter. Snow gets in your eyes, cold air makes my lungs hurt... I should move.

LiendaBalla
Veteran
Veteran

04 Feb 2008, 10:06 am

Mikomi wrote:

I used to think about the first two alot during my childhood. I often had the same feeling about the clocks and paper. I felt crazy sometimes, but didn't go to the restroom though. I admit it was an amasing relief to finally get out of the class room. Curse that clock and it's ticking! Nothing more annoying during the quietest parts of a class. It's so distracting, I hate it to. And tight clothing? Ugh, can't stand it either, and I do often think about how my undies feel on my body to. I will not wear any boxers though, for certain reasons. (don't ask, heheh :) ) Tight though, not if we can help it!