Page 1 of 2 [ 21 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next

aaronrey
Toucan
Toucan

04 Feb 2008, 10:07 pm

looks like romney and mccain are trying to convince people that they're more conservative than the other.

ja
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

04 Feb 2008, 11:27 pm

McCain - voted ‘yes’ to ACLU’s Ginsberg as a Supreme Court Justice

McCain - ‘Mexico first’ immigration policy

McCain - John Kerry’s first choice for VP in ‘04

McCain - ‘economics? what’s that?’

McCain - only a moron would believe in the global warming scam, and only a true liberal would want to bang you for a $1/gallon gas tax to make you ‘pay for man’s sins’.

McCain - known for the ‘company he keeps’: Kennedy, Feingold, Lieberman, Hillary

MysteryFan3
Veteran
Veteran

04 Feb 2008, 11:34 pm

They're after the extreme right-wingnut votes.

Odin
Veteran
Veteran

04 Feb 2008, 11:35 pm

ja wrote:
only a moron would believe in the global warming scam

Only a moron would believe Big Oil propaganda. 99% of climatologists (at the very least) say global warming is real, so as I person not trained in climatology, will defer to those climatologists instead of believing the paid hacks from Exxon.

ja
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

05 Feb 2008, 6:21 am

'man-made' global warming is the biggest crock of crap that the counter-culture has ever tried to get over on the comsumer.

If E.L.F. = terrorist, then
Environmentalist = fascist

Izaak
Veteran
Veteran

05 Feb 2008, 8:02 am

http://www.theglobalwarmingdebate.net/

Try the video series entitled:
Climate Change - is CO2 the cause?

It takes about 40 minutes in 4 - 10 minute segments.

ja
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

05 Feb 2008, 12:54 pm

Only a moron would believe Big Oil propaganda. 99% of climatologists (at the very least) say global warming is real, so as I person not trained in climatology, will defer to those climatologists instead of believing the paid hacks from Exxon.

really? Eco-bulb maker GE has a bigger budget for their special-interest lawyers than Exxon and Chevron combined...

Orwell
Veteran
Veteran

05 Feb 2008, 2:47 pm

ja wrote:
really? Eco-bulb maker GE has a bigger budget for their special-interest lawyers than Exxon and Chevron combined...

And you think their special-interest lawyers are doing nothing else than promoting the fancy new light bulbs? GE has many more interests than that, and is a fairly large defense contractor. Anyways, they'd already cornered the market on light bulbs, they would hardly have needed to make up some elaborate global warming story so that they could sell a new style of light bulb.

richardbenson
Xfractor Card #351
Xfractor Card #351

05 Feb 2008, 6:58 pm

aaronrey wrote:
looks like romney and mccain are trying to convince people that they're more conservative than the other.
hm. i think mccain is a liberal republican, hes basically trying to be "the most conservative" one of the group because otherwise he knows he wont win. all the canidates suck this year and i wished someone like ron paul would have a chance at getting in thurr

flipflopping is popular, but when it comes down to election time, canidates know they have to appeal to "the religion" of the party

Odin
Veteran
Veteran

05 Feb 2008, 8:25 pm

richardbenson wrote:
aaronrey wrote:
hm. i think mccain is a liberal republican, hes basically trying to be "the most conservative" one of the group because otherwise he knows he wont win. all the canidates suck this year and i wished someone like ron paul would have a chance at getting in thurr

flipflopping is popular, but when it comes down to election time, canidates know they have to appeal to "the religion" of the party

McCain is a lot more conservative then he looks, IMO. The "Maverick" shtick is for public consumption.

snake321
Veteran
Veteran

05 Feb 2008, 8:54 pm

aaronrey wrote:

Because the majority of people in America sit in front of the television too damn much, theyr brains are reduced to jello with all this cultural propaganda, and they've reverted back to a high school mentality riddled with campus cliques. It's kinda like when you were in high school, lets say you hung out with punk rockers, and remember, everyone tried to show off how "punk rock" they were.

pandabear
Veteran
Veteran

05 Feb 2008, 10:09 pm

"Conservative" doesn't really mean anything in the context of modern politics.

It is just a silly word that they use to indicate that they think that they are better than someone else.

They might just as well use the word "billygoat", as in "I am more billygoat than he is because I think such-and-such about family values and Iraq. He is a dungbeetle because he thinks that we should import stuff from China and buy oil from Venezuela."

It is all just mindless gibberish.

ToadOfSteel
Veteran
Veteran

05 Feb 2008, 10:16 pm

"conservative" only got that "good" label (and converse for "liberal") because everyone is glued to faux news...

techstepgenr8tion
Veteran
Veteran

05 Feb 2008, 11:12 pm

I'm just looking for someone who's better with economics, immigration, war on terror's best left for those handling it directly. All that said though, I'm definitely not into McCain for much of the reasons ja mentioned. Unfortunately Huckabee's eating up a lot of states that Romney would have otherwise - I'd much rather see Romney than the other two.

Johnnie
Veteran
Veteran

06 Feb 2008, 8:01 am

Orwell wrote:
ja wrote:

And you think their special-interest lawyers are doing nothing else than promoting the fancy new light bulbs? GE has many more interests than that, and is a fairly large defense contractor. Anyways, they'd already cornered the market on light bulbs, they would hardly have needed to make up some elaborate global warming story so that they could sell a new style of light bulb.

GE wants to sell wind turbines and solar systems, not light bulbs. The profit margine is way better on research intensive products that are complicated to make which limits everyone & their sister competing in the market.

With something like 100 million homes in the country and maybe over half of them free standing regular houses, the market for solar systems could be massive.
50 million homes and maybe $1,000 profit on each solar system is $50 billion of profit. The markup on light bulbs is nothing compared to that.
Add in commercial solar & wind systems for factories and office buildings & retail buildings and light bulb profit is nothing to even think about.

http://ge.ecomagination.com/site/index.html

monty
Veteran
Veteran

06 Feb 2008, 11:53 am

ja wrote:

Right, but irrelevant. GE has their fingers in more sectors of the economy than Exxon or Chevron combined. GE makes light bulbs, nuclear power plants, and a variety of electric power equipment. But they make more money from leasing, lending and financing, which puts them into a much wider economic arena. They own a television networks (NBC and Telemundo) and major shares of movie studios. So I am not surprised that they have more lawyers and lobbyists.

And that doesn't refute the idea that the oil companies are funding PR and political action which supports their unique interests, but which distorts science.