Page 3 of 4 [ 53 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Riddick124
Veteran
Veteran

06 Feb 2008, 9:03 am

Hmmmm. Free laptops, there is an idea I love. I saved for over a year for mine, but still could only get a Dell Inspiron B130, a 100% crap entry level laptop. It is currently unusable, as the keyboard broke. I am waiting for a new one to come in, but the screen is full of dead pixels and it can handle almost no games that I own.

Dishman
Blue Jay
Blue Jay

06 Feb 2008, 12:12 pm

Kirov wrote:
Dishman wrote:
Kirov wrote:
We could start an enclave :) I know there's missile silos in North Dakota we could huddle in as humanity destroys itself.

But seriously... they can't force you to accept a cure if you don't want it, unless some totalitarian regime takes over... and looking at the US, I'm beginning to pack my military rations....

-Kir

Tell that to the victims of Walter Freeman.

When the only tool you have is an icepick, every problem looks like an eyelid.

When was this? And is it still practiced? I want to know.

Wikipedia has a good article on the subject. The heyday of lobotomies was mostly the '50s and '60s. It's now rare.

Sovemp
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

06 Feb 2008, 12:31 pm

sarahstilettos wrote:
Quote:
The genes being replaced are the mitochondria, a cell's energy source, which are contained outside the nucleus in a normal female egg. Mistakes in the mitochondria's genetic code can result in serious diseases like muscular dystrophy, epilepsy, strokes and mental retardation.

Mutations also cause ADVANTAGEOUS mutations. In fact, the entire theory of evolution relies upon natural mutations, some are good, but most are not. I personally think we shouldn't interfere at all. I mean, considering we can't create a sustainable environment involving the most basic chemical manipulations of our world, and yet these people want us to take control of our own evolution? Yeah, that's totally gonna turn out great. Two hundred years from now, when everyone has "designer babies," I guarantee we're going to see the most absolutely bizarre health problems because we've messed with nature too much.

BertBlyleven
Hummingbird
Hummingbird

06 Feb 2008, 11:08 pm

whatamess wrote:
Just wondering if we'll all soon be wiped out...hmmm...kind of scary...

http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20080205/ap_ ... Ui6wEPLBIF

"Brave New World" + "1984" = our inevitable future

anbuend
Veteran
Veteran

06 Feb 2008, 11:46 pm

Sovemp wrote:
Two hundred years from now, when everyone has "designer babies," I guarantee we're going to see the most absolutely bizarre health problems because we've messed with nature too much.

Very agreed. It already happens in animals we breed.

Sedaka
Veteran
Veteran

07 Feb 2008, 12:01 am

anbuend wrote:
Sovemp wrote:
Two hundred years from now, when everyone has "designer babies," I guarantee we're going to see the most absolutely bizarre health problems because we've messed with nature too much.

Very agreed. It already happens in animals we breed.

QFT

got free science papers?

www.pubmed.gov
www.sciencedirect.com
http://highwire.stanford.edu/lists/freeart.dtl

elan_i
Blue Jay
Blue Jay

07 Feb 2008, 1:03 am

Inventor wrote:
They said that the Internet and keyboard were to Autistics like the hearing aid to the hearing impaired. That for the first time we can communicate, and the non-verbal are being heard.

We're not being heard, but we think we're being heard. In my view. Maybe the Internet is an ingenious pacifier. It provides people a method of expression, and the impression they are talking to the world, and they act as if they are talking to the world often, but yet, they are not, and rarely do people use their real names, and often people use multiple alias names, and hide behind their computers as cowards.

Inventor wrote:
the greatest single event so far was the Private launch of Wrong Planet by Alex. He has done more for the Autistic Community than all of medicine, Psychology, and Curebie feeding frenzies.

Incredible statement. I wonder how common this belief is. Typing on an electronic computer, no people with whom to have even the most simple in-person interaction, the non-human computer discussion via typed words, the avoidance of almost everything human (the people themselves, voices, faces, eyes, movement, speech, sound, place, context, exchange). This alternative life should be improved, and I hope more is available at some time in the future rather than this non-human, solitary, cowardly, nameless, faceless existence. People here can't even use their real names, and rarely their real pictures.

Inventor wrote:
The first goal is the support of Wrong Planet, recently people have been contributing, and Alex should not have to bear the cost of doing the most important thing in our lives. 10,000 have joined in the last year, it is something to keep up with.

Most important thing in YOUR life, sadly. Maybe Alex is making a fortune on this, or some day will be, along with his other dating and other websites. A true Internet business professional.

Inventor wrote:
Many have said, Wrong Planet is the only answer they have found, 10,000 joined in the last year, and perhaps twice that in the next. We do have the power to change the world.

The Internet is not life. That is, it shouldn't be the main activity of one's life. Life can be more. Far more.

Dishman
Blue Jay
Blue Jay

07 Feb 2008, 1:57 am

elan_i

Do you have a purpose other than p***ing on people?

CockneyRebel
Veteran
Veteran

07 Feb 2008, 2:17 am

If you want to keep picking on us, I'd suggest, that you leave.

elan_i
Blue Jay
Blue Jay

07 Feb 2008, 2:23 am

Dishman wrote:
elan_i

CockneyRebel wrote:

Some comments by 'Inventor' in his last post above.

Inventor wrote:
The main danger we face is from a small group of paracites, with Cure Autism

Inventor wrote:
Curebie feeding frenzies.

Inventor wrote:
Medicine and Psychology has had nothing to offer us. That does not stop Quacks, Curebies, from preying upon parents. Our house troll calls anyone not blindly pro cure cowards, for we are a threat to the fund raising machine, and to trolls.

Inventor wrote:
I see them as the Leech/Troll Factor, looking for something to feed off of, and Autism Speaks consumes $10,000,000 a year in sending us trolls, and other self serving actions.

Inventor wrote:
They spend another $10,000,000 a year trying to exterminate us, but the money goes to Research, where they have no say so, and Research in Pure Science, Peer Approved, and Reviewed, adds to the Book of Knowledge, not to the eradication of Autistic Researchers.

Last edited by elan_i on 07 Feb 2008, 2:28 am, edited 2 times in total.

anbuend
Veteran
Veteran

07 Feb 2008, 2:23 am

Quote:

I'm beginning to agree, it's gone beyond disagreement into something really personal. I just agreed with him on something, only to get called grandiose and elitist. So it's clearly not about simple disagreement, it's about not liking people. Which makes it both way over my head and very inappropriate for this forum. I can deal with people actually disagreeing with me, but when someone clearly disagrees with me because I am me, rather than because of what I have said, it gets really fishy.

Cheerlessleader
Veteran
Veteran

07 Feb 2008, 2:27 am

If they do find a cure, I hope they don't force it on all of us, regardless of whether we actually want to be cured or not. I hope they only leave it for those who do want to be cured (yes, some people do want to be cured, and we should respect them just as much as those who don't.)

SleepyDragon
Veteran
Veteran

07 Feb 2008, 2:39 am

From a blogger on a rather different topic, nevertheless à propos here.

http://arabesque911.blogspot.com/2007/10/911-truth-and-division-disinformation.html

Understanding the Psychology of Disruption

"While it is human to be upset or angry, those who disrupt intentionally are on a mission. They hope that moderators, those in control of forums, and everyone else will ignore their destructive behavior so that they can keep doing it. They want to fight—they do not want to have dialog. Their only purpose is to disrupt. Their chief weapons are divisive labels, accusations, straw-man arguments, controversial issues, and ad hominem.

"The ... movement is what its members make it to be. Either we can work together by critiquing each other in a civil and respectful manner, or we can fight with ourselves indefinitely.... It is clear that staying silent or ignoring the problem of disruption will not effectively provide a solution. While the approach of ignoring a problem allows it to continue successfully without interruption, there are ineffective and effective responses to counter disruption. Establishing guidelines of behavior and protocol for when they are broken could easily and effectively combat this ongoing issue and would only help facilitate the ... movement forward towards justice instead of endless and diversionary fighting.

"The agent provocateur is as virulent a form of disinformation that exists within the ... movement. Their ultimate purpose is to distract, discredit, and weaken the movement through the creation of false adversaries, disinformation, and disruption. As such, these false adversaries encourage activists to fight between themselves rather than challenging their intended opponent. Whether by intent or ego, those who emphasize attacking individuals rather than critiquing ideas in a respectful manner are working against the ... movement, not for it."

(emphasis in original)

Zwerfbeertje
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

07 Feb 2008, 2:41 am

elan_i wrote:
Dishman wrote:
elan_i

I understand your answer translate to a resounding 'NO'.

anbuend
Veteran
Veteran

07 Feb 2008, 3:13 am

SleepyDragon wrote:
They want to fight—they do not want to have dialog.

That's the part that I always have trouble recognizing until it hits me in the face a few times (or rather, I notice but ignore until it's too late because I want to give people the benefit of the doubt). In this case, though, I finally was told what the problem is. This is almost without any doubt the same person who contacted my boss out of the blue with false information about me based on Internet gossip and was probably not happy when my boss said she had proof in many forms (including eyewitness accounts from family members) that said gossip was inaccurate, and likely even less happy when she declined to discuss my private information with hostile strangers. Had I known this was the same person, I would not have engaged with them at all. It's very telling to me that, despite having a respectable scientist who has spoken to my family tell him that she had proof various false information about me was indeed false, he came here and attempted to repeat that 'information' again as if it was true and as if he had no indication or knowledge that it was false. I haven't known whether to say something or not, but I'm now throwing this information out there as a caution that some of the things said on these threads have not been innocent misunderstandings at all, nor in good faith.

Inventor
Veteran
Veteran

07 Feb 2008, 9:11 am

elan_i wrote:
Inventor wrote:
They said that the Internet and keyboard were to Autistics like the hearing aid to the hearing impaired. That for the first time we can communicate, and the non-verbal are being heard.

We're not being heard, but we think we're being heard. In my view. Maybe the Internet is an ingenious pacifier. It provides people a method of expression, and the impression they are talking to the world, and they act as if they are talking to the world often, but yet, they are not, and rarely do people use their real names, and often people use multiple alias names, and hide behind their computers as cowards.

The non verbal are communicating for the first time in history. Those with social avoidence have found a way to some social life.

Hearing with the aid of a device is still hearing, and true, like corrected sight, it takes a while for the brain to adapt, the hearing impaired reported that they heard sounds, which took a while to be learned as the words they had never known. The blind being given sight do not see, they percieve light and color, patterns, which takes time to become images. They too learn to see.

People do have to learn to walk with a crutch, to understand sounds as words with a hearing aid, and to resolve light, color, patterns as images when given sight. All of this learning happens in the brain. It rather quickly adapts to change. The keyboard and Internet is something new, direct brain to brain comunication. distributed computing, where all that matters is signal quality, the thought. Bodies have names, numbers, smells, annoying habits, high upkeep demands, and each is very different.

Brains are nameless, and only judged by the quality of ideas generated. Packing for a trip on the Internet is simple. To quote the Beatles, "You won't take nothing with you but your soul boy!"

Inventor wrote:
the greatest single event so far was the Private launch of Wrong Planet by Alex. He has done more for the Autistic Community than all of medicine, Psychology, and Curebie feeding frenzies.

Incredible statement. I wonder how common this belief is. Typing on an electronic computer, no people with whom to have even the most simple in-person interaction, the non-human computer discussion via typed words, the avoidance of almost everything human (the people themselves, voices, faces, eyes, movement, speech, sound, place, context, exchange). This alternative life should be improved, and I hope more is available at some time in the future rather than this non-human, solitary, cowardly, nameless, faceless existence. People here can't even use their real names, and rarely their real pictures.

Yes, Alex is great. Like Martin Luther King, "I have a dream, that people will not be judged by the color of their skin, but by what is in thier hearts." We were alone, he brought us together, we were taunted by packs of butt sniffing meatbags, he gave us a place where our spirits can take wing, free of all worldly bonds. Alex lead us to Freedom!

He is the Simon Bolivar that freed us from rule by Old World Powers, and showed us new and better ways.

Inventor wrote:
The first goal is the support of Wrong Planet, recently people have been contributing, and Alex should not have to bear the cost of doing the most important thing in our lives. 10,000 have joined in the last year, it is something to keep up with.

Most important thing in YOUR life, sadly. Maybe Alex is making a fortune on this, or some day will be, along with his other dating and other websites. A true Internet business professional.

Alex should be making a fortune, for he created something wonderful, and provided it at no cost to many thousands. He has proven he has the insight, vision, drive, purpose, to use the Internet for great works. He has the talent to do more, but should be freed of the burdens. judged by what is in his heart, he deserves support.

Alex provides a one of a kind free service that has changed many lives. Where others saw the Internet as a means of personal gain, Alex saw the good it could do. Venture Capitalists are more like the OP, their funding comes with strings and agendas. This site is growing, and the only way to return the freedom Alex gave us, is to keep him economically free, and small regular donations with no strings attached do that.

Inventor wrote:
Many have said, Wrong Planet is the only answer they have found, 10,000 joined in the last year, and perhaps twice that in the next. We do have the power to change the world.

The Internet is not life. That is, it shouldn't be the main activity of one's life. Life can be more. Far more.

The Internet is the new frontier, life is much more than sniffing butts in a pack. Here you are judged solely by what is in your heart. To me, it has opened worlds of knowledge, for I live in a Banana Republic, where knowledge is not valued. Research, on line education, are freeing millions to grow and become.

The Internet gives me an International business platform, where I have been successful, selling to the world, while never making a single sale anywhere near me. I pick small markets, and then have that World Market. All of my supplies come from the Internet, they are not locally available, and cost three
times as much when they are. Niether my suppliers or customers see me as Autistic.

From $500 Million in the mid 90's, Internet sales have doubled every year, and the growth rate is speeding up. It is the New Economy, the bright growth sector, and it leaves behind the socially dependant, who cannot live in a world of pure thought.

The Internet has linked me with like minded people worldwide, who I share a real connection with. Minds joining skills and talents, like time and space no longer exist. Bounderies of distance, nationality, vanish, when two connect through a keyboard.

The future is what can move through the Internet, none of the meatbag social skills can, they are filtered out. Some are dependant on eye contact, black slapping, hand shakes, sniffing, body language, and not having a record of their words.

Science, Research, Education, Economics, are moving rapidly to the Internet. Quality of human interaction is rising on the Internet, where your pool of potential good friends numbers over a billion, and is neatly broken into interest sectors. Here you can take the best of people, some totally, some for only one overlapping interest. Many with expert knowledge are only an email away, who will spend time answering a good question.

It takes a whole new skill set, a way of thinking, seeing in mental constructs, patterned thought, the intangible, where meatbag social skills become useless, and there are few naturals. Only the Autistic are born to this future.

One thought by Alex has lifted me into a world of minds I can deal with, those who share my wave length, my world vision, and together, we are developing our economy.

Here I have found my
:heart: