there already IS a cure for social anxiety.

Page 1 of 2 [ 28 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next

aaronrey
Toucan
Toucan

07 Feb 2008, 6:12 am

it's called 'alcoholic drink'. it works for me. i tried both drinking and not drinking when going to clubs. alcohol makes a big difference. i didnt feel like me at all. i felt....NORMAL! yea. i did what others do, i thought the way others do.

it's only a temporary cure but it's widely available and quite harmless.

Reyairia
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

07 Feb 2008, 6:13 am

Quite harmless my ass.
I like my brain cells, thank you.
And how the heck can you even stand going to a club? I can't even stand a chatty classroom for more than two minutes!

aaronrey
Toucan
Toucan

07 Feb 2008, 6:30 am

i cant stand it...except when i drink.

it's one way of meeting people and socializing which is something that people say we 'must' do

aries
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

07 Feb 2008, 6:35 am

Not really a cure though. It just masks the symptoms temporarily like taking a cold remedy. And what goes up must come down. The next day I feel more anxious then normal. I'd like to work on the underlying causes rather than just the symptoms.

Syd
Veteran
Veteran

07 Feb 2008, 6:42 am

Stay away from alcohol! :wink: You don't want to become a dumb drunkard like Edgar Allen Poe, Ulysses S. Grant, F. Scott Fitzgerald, George Sterling, Jack London, Stephen King, Dylan Thomas, Joseph Stalin, Ambrose Bierce, Theodore Dreiser, Joe McCarthy, Samuel L. Jackson, Jim Morrison... hey.. are you going to finish that bottle off? If not, pass it my way. :)

bheid
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

07 Feb 2008, 7:48 am

Please don't promote alcoholism: it can be addictive if taken for such a goal serving matter. and if the goal is to decrease social anxiety, then the goal will always be there.

Mark198423
Veteran
Veteran

07 Feb 2008, 8:48 am

I still get a little anxious when drunk as I'm still very concious about my lack of small talk/opening conversation!
Doesn't work for all!

Vexcalibur
Veteran
Veteran

07 Feb 2008, 8:52 am

aaronrey wrote:
it's called 'alcoholic drink'. it works for me. i tried both drinking and not drinking when going to clubs. alcohol makes a big difference. i didnt feel like me at all. i felt....NORMAL! yea. i did what others do, i thought the way others do.

I guess my anxiety combined with total, extremist reluctance to drink are a bad combo...

Wolfpup
Veteran
Veteran

07 Feb 2008, 9:32 am

Drinking or any form of "self medicating" like that is a TERRIBLE idea. DON'T DO IT.

My dad probably had AS, and became an alcoholic-when he was treated for that in the 80's they said he had started using it to deal with social stuff.

This is *NOT* a solution at all. You're just going to screw your life up even worse, and make it even harder to get REAL treatment for your problems.

Inventor
Veteran
Veteran

07 Feb 2008, 9:47 am

Medicinal and social are very different uses.

I advise trying the good stuff, sipping wiskey, Cognac, in small amounts several times a day.

A glass of wine with dinner works. It does curb Social Anxiety, and best when alone at home.

Like sleep, it is a relaxation that gives you the energy to go on. Sometimes I see it as inturnel ear plugs, shutting down the brain echos of the day.

A medicinal use does not show, but it does have an effect. Moderate use is good for you.

"Take a little wine for your stomachs sake."

As for clubs, drink at home, so you start relaxed, then nurse one of their expensive dirnks so you look right. You want to be sobering up when you leave. It gives an advantage, as they spent the night getting drunker.

Us drunk, them sober, seems to work, us sober them drunk seems to work.

Moderation, practice, it can be beneficial.

Zsazsa
Veteran
Veteran

07 Feb 2008, 10:22 am

Exercise is a better way to relieve stress and anxiety than alcohol...get out and go for a run!

sarahstilettos
Veteran
Veteran

07 Feb 2008, 10:26 am

personal choice an' all, but please don't promote alcohol as a solution as for some people it will be anything but.

Fuzzy
Veteran
Veteran

07 Feb 2008, 10:52 am

I used to work in a bar and I can say, Alcohol certainly does make people more confident and relaxed, but in no way does it make them better behaved. All its doing is blinding you and others to your behaviors.

A drunk aspie in the presence of sober NTs would not be any more successful.

Dont do it. Dont make more of an ass of yourself.

Last edited by Fuzzy on 07 Feb 2008, 1:19 pm, edited 1 time in total.

LVBen
Toucan
Toucan

07 Feb 2008, 1:05 pm

aaronrey wrote:

I don't have social anxiety! I'm an aspie. They are very different!

Liverbird
Supporting Member
Supporting Member

07 Feb 2008, 1:10 pm

My problem is that when I really need to have a drink (don't jump my ass for the wording, you know what I mean) is usually when I spend half the night slamming down drinks trying to feel normal and realise that I am more sober than when I started. Then I just feel ghastly over all and go home grumpy and depressed. Sounding like a cute Brit (accent comes out and speech therapy goes to hell), but grumpy and depressed.

Knaidle
Blue Jay
Blue Jay

07 Feb 2008, 1:11 pm

I get MORE introverted when I drink.