Toucan
Toucan

07 Feb 2008, 12:52 pm

since he doesnt have to split his attention between the nation and his family

Phagocyte
Veteran
Veteran

07 Feb 2008, 1:36 pm

Probably, but some fat soccer-mom would complain about his lack of experience with family values.

richardbenson
Xfractor Card #351
Xfractor Card #351

07 Feb 2008, 2:22 pm

yep. i can never see a guy or gal getting elected who wasnt married though :?

matrix
Veteran
Veteran

09 Feb 2008, 12:05 am

It would make a neat reality-tv gimmick that could get more people interested in politics.

gwenevyn
l'esprit de l'escalier
l'esprit de l'escalier

09 Feb 2008, 12:22 am

Supposedly the idea is that somebody who already has a wife isn't going to spend so much time chasing skirts and will be able to attend better to the nation.

In practice... I doubt it matters.

pandabear
Veteran
Veteran

09 Feb 2008, 6:33 pm

I've heard the same arguments for celibacy of priests and nuns.

A president, though, would always have his choice of luscious interns.

But, a lot of times, the wife of the president plays an important role--signing Christmas cards, developing national health care plans, and consulting with astrologers, to name a few.

Delirium
Veteran
Veteran

09 Feb 2008, 6:54 pm

richardbenson wrote:
yep. i can never see a guy or gal getting elected who wasnt married though :?

We've already had a bachelor president, James Buchanan.

pandabear
Veteran
Veteran

10 Feb 2008, 9:27 am

Was he gay?

AnonymousAnonymous
Veteran
Veteran

10 Feb 2008, 5:14 pm

No.

James Buchanan's daughter was First Lady.

JDoherty
Toucan
Toucan

10 Feb 2008, 5:32 pm

Interesting to know that AnonAnon, never knew.

Fuzzy
Veteran
Veteran

10 Feb 2008, 8:16 pm

In the rest of the world, no one would bat an eye. Unless its france, when they protested their president getting married to a model. They felt it was best that he be single and attentive to the country.

In Canada, for instance, most people couldnt name the prime ministers wife, and she isnt routinely consulted about things, after all, shes not an elected official! But their is some truth to America having cult of personality.

pandabear
Veteran
Veteran

10 Feb 2008, 10:57 pm

I've pasted below an excerpt from Buchanan's wikipedia. I think that Andrew Jackson's assertions clearly indicate homosexuality--otherwise, Buchanan would have had to fight with Andrew Jackson in a duel.

For fifteen years in Washington, D.C., prior to his presidency, Buchanan lived with his close friend, Alabama Senator William Rufus King[8]. King became Vice President under Franklin Pierce. He took ill and died shortly after Pierce's inauguration, and four years before Buchanan became President. Buchanan and King's close relation prompted Andrew Jackson to refer to King as "Miss Nancy" and "Aunt Fancy," while Aaron V. Brown spoke of the two as "Buchanan and his wife."[9][10] Further, some of the contemporary press also speculated about Buchanan and King's relationship. Buchanan and King's nieces destroyed their uncles' correspondence, leaving some questions as to what relationship the two men had, but surviving letters illustrate "the affection of a special friendship",[9] and Buchanan wrote of his "communion" with his housemate. Such expression, however, was not unusual amongst men at the time. Though the circumstances surrounding Buchanan and King have led some to speculate that he was America's first homosexual president, there is currently no evidence that King and Buchanan had a sexual relationship.[9]

The only President never to marry, Buchanan turned to Harriet Lane, an orphaned niece whom he had earlier adopted, to act as his First Lady. "I feel that it is not good for man to be alone", he wrote, "and [I] should not be astonished to find myself married to some old maid who can nurse me when I am sick, provide good dinners for me when I am well, and not expect from me any very ardent or romantic affection."[