Page 1 of 3 [ 33 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3  Next

Fayed
Toucan
Toucan

07 Feb 2008, 10:49 pm

OK, my great grandpa died today( 82, cancer, we knew it was coming for about a month). Now I've noticed the rest of my family is visibly upset ( crying, easy angered, etc). Another thing that I have noticed is that I'm not sad, at all. It't not like I didn't love him, he was a cool grandpa that i saw most weekends during the summer ( he was in Texas the rest of the year) and i Loved him. I have just noticed that the rest of my family is really broken up, and here i am wondering if i should have gone to classes the day he died. Is this normal? Has his death just not hit me yet, or is it something else?

username88
Veteran
Veteran

07 Feb 2008, 10:54 pm

I never cry when people die, Ive only cried once when I was really little and some bird that I found in my yard died from choking on something.
Other than that, I would get tears of frustration (etc).. But not from being actually sad about something.
I might cry if my little sister died, she used to be the closest thing I had to a best friend before I wasnt allowed to talk to her anymore. (I was a bad influence). Im not sure but I think I still love her.. I dunno.
Even though that barely had anything to do with your topic.. sorry lol

jaydog
Veteran
Veteran

07 Feb 2008, 10:57 pm

it's normal Fayed, i lost my uncle and i didn't cry for a while either.

preludeman
Veteran
Veteran

07 Feb 2008, 10:58 pm

I am very sorry your great-grandfather has passed away.

It could be another AS trait? You may want to talk to someone about it if it bothers you.

Soon
Veteran
Veteran

07 Feb 2008, 11:01 pm

I stoped crying when I was 7 years old. my mother said I stoped at that age and as far as I know I haven't cryed since. Well I know I haven't. I am not sure if it is normal or not.

Sorry about your loss

Last edited by Soon on 07 Feb 2008, 11:50 pm, edited 1 time in total.

oscuria
Veteran
Veteran

07 Feb 2008, 11:10 pm

I often get a sense of confusion when horrible world events occur, but I don't really feel anything when a single person dies. I'm not how I would feel if something horrible happened to one of my immediate family members. I can't answer that.

AspieDave
Veteran
Veteran

07 Feb 2008, 11:17 pm

My grandparents dying really didn't affect me, but my parents deaths did. More than I expected them to, it was a surprise to me.

sodarktheshadows
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

07 Feb 2008, 11:27 pm

everyone grieves in their own way and in their own time. you may never shed a tear over his loss. but don't ever let anyone tell you that because you didn't that he didn't mean anything to you. i had a cousin who was killed in a car accident when i was younger, and i didn't cry at his funeral (even though i missed him and cared that he was gone) and i do remember my aunt making a big deal out of it then and there. and THAT made me feel bad, and her words really hurt. but i still didn't cry. not until much later. like months after the fact. it just hit me one day, and that was it.

jawbrodt
Veteran
Veteran

07 Feb 2008, 11:47 pm

I had one of my few best friends die in a car accident 2 weeks ago. I didn't cry either but, I think its because I have the ability to control it. I could have cried if I would have let myself do so.

About 5 years ago, when I was still into heroin, I had a fried overdose and die, right in front of me. I felt guilty because I was the one who sold him the dope. At the funeral, I could tell his family was upset with me, and partially blamed me for killing him. I was kinda scared they might do something to me, to avenge his death.

So, when I entered the funeral room where most of the immediate family was crying, I "let myself cry" as well. I felt it would show that I was truly sorry for what happened, but I also did it for my own protection. I guess I was looking for sympathy.

Point being, although I don't usually cry at funerals, it's because I am able control it. If I choose to cry, I will, and they will be genuine tears, of genuine sadness. Its kinda nice to be able to control that emotion. I can choose when, and where, I want to grieve, and I usually choose to grieve in private. That's my choice and it works fine for me.

Berserker
Veteran
Veteran

07 Feb 2008, 11:54 pm

I didn't care when my poppa died.

oscuria
Veteran
Veteran

08 Feb 2008, 12:22 am

Reading jawbrodt's post made me realize something: I do get teary-eyed, but it is devoid of emotion. I'm not sure how to explain it but it is as if I cry just to let others believe I'm emotional. My face would still be "cold", however.

jawbrodt
Veteran
Veteran

08 Feb 2008, 12:29 am

oscuria wrote:
Reading jawbrodt's post made me realize something: I do get teary-eyed, but it is devoid of emotion. I'm not sure how to explain it but it is as if I cry just to let others believe I'm emotional. My face would still be "cold", however.

Exactly!

beef_bourito
Veteran
Veteran

08 Feb 2008, 12:44 am

when one of my grandfathers died when i was 11 i cried. other than that i haven't cried at a funeral or really felt anything. the only time i've cried since then was after a violent meltdown or when i was extremely depressed.

bear7699
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker

08 Feb 2008, 1:07 am

it's not a big deal, everyone dies, life is not precious either

Age1600
Veteran
Veteran

08 Feb 2008, 1:25 am

Yea i dont cry either when ppl die, even at wakes or funerals, im basically in my own world, no emotion whatsoever. While everybody is bawling their eyes out, upset, im just there like yea so what is going on.

Reyairia
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

08 Feb 2008, 2:13 am

I've had to move away from my best friend and I remember he was really distressed and I didn't... seem to have a problem.
A good friend of mine moved earlier in the year and I also had a hard time coming to really feelings something.

It's annoying. :(