By Jan M. Olsen
Associated Press
posted: 12 September 2005
09:44 am ET

jb814
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

16 Sep 2005, 7:23 pm

ITV news tonight reported that bare rock should be visible around the 90 degrees north area by 2070. Compete Nthpolar melt in summer months. Of course it can't be true, I was listening to one of Mr Bush s advisors recently and he confirmed that global warming and increased hurricane activity was just so much speculation. Union of Concerned Scientists? they're just wanabees who can't get a government contract. I wonder why.

vetivert
Veteran
Veteran

17 Sep 2005, 3:41 am

and this is news? we've known about it for years.

jb814
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

18 Sep 2005, 4:00 am

Sorry Vivi, OK for years we have been predicting, things were going wrong and there would be dire consequences, I unlike many did not know exactly which way this was going to go. For years I was under the impression that the North Atlantic Drift would shut down and the currents that keep the North Atlantic would stop, dropping our temperatures to normal levels for the latitude. It is a bit more complex than that, so while I could see that things were going very wrong I didn't expect this. Hope that clarifies my position.

vetivert
Veteran
Veteran

18 Sep 2005, 4:14 am

my fault - i was addressing the original news story, and not you, jb814. i wouldn't have a go at you - you seem to have a grasp on reality which certain dear leaders in this world don't :roll:

Sean
Veteran
Veteran

18 Sep 2005, 5:31 pm

The key to the survival of all these groups, plants, and anmals lies in archeology. They all survived 1000 years ago when weather conditions were even warmer and will do so again. The ozone hole is closing only using national environmental laws and the Earth's climate will continue to fluxuate with or without the financial burden of the Kyoto protocol.

jb814
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

19 Sep 2005, 5:13 am

I'd maybe check what the insurance companies are paying out and expect to pay out for climate change. The financial burden is in not having the Kyoto agreement. There has nevre been a change in the polar region that took place this quickly, I don't know if you are familiar with evolution, but it's not an overnight process, it also requires resources to be available.

eamonn
Veteran
Veteran

19 Sep 2005, 11:28 am

jb814 wrote:
I don't know if you are familiar with evolution, but it's not an overnight process,

LOL. The American administration and their supporters are very impatient people as shown by their refusal to sign to Kyoto and how quickly they went to war with Iraq.

ascan
Veteran
Veteran

19 Sep 2005, 1:51 pm

This is not true, jb814:

jb814 wrote:
There has nevre been a change in the polar region that took place this quickly

Sean is also, generally speaking, correct in what he says about plants and animals; they tend to migrate to areas where conditions are favourable, though of course human domination of the planet would tend to hinder that.

Hey, it reminds me of that movie, can't think of the name, where the whole of N. America is covered in an ice-sheet (overnight almost :roll: ) and at the end you see them all being let across the border into Mexico. Can you see Mexico doing that?! That's the kind of impact climate change will have on human populations, but not condensed into the timescale that makes good TV viewing. And, potential host countries will not be so inviting. Nope. We'll do what we do best: war!

Gosh, the future looks grim...

jb814
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

19 Sep 2005, 5:24 pm

I don't mean to be abrupt its just a gift. I know what he means its just that for years now they've been shooting polar bears or returning them to the ice. options that won't be open, How many communities will welcome these bears? Breeding seals will be left to every predator you can think of (/sarcasm with the exception of clubbers who now frequent night clubs rather than taking out baby seals./endsarcasm)There just is nowhere for anything to go, and the balances are so delicate, from the gestation period of the Polar Bear, to the nests built by seals, that I wonder how people can have been so sheltered as not to know.

kevv729
Veteran
Veteran

29 Sep 2005, 2:09 pm

Just so YOU know:ascan the movie was

The Day After Tomorrow

ascan
Veteran
Veteran

30 Sep 2005, 11:43 am

Thanks kevv729; I really tried, but couldn't remember it!

kevv729
Veteran
Veteran

30 Sep 2005, 11:25 pm

ascan YOUR WECLOME

jb814
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

11 Oct 2005, 5:31 pm

The effects of climate change go beyond record polar melting/ warming and the threat of extinction for many species. There is also the human cost.
http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/programmes/f ... 322026.stm

Sean
Veteran
Veteran

12 Oct 2005, 3:30 am

Has anyone ever noticed how environmental activists never scream about global warming during a massive blizzard? :lol:

ascan
Veteran
Veteran

12 Oct 2005, 3:39 am

Sean wrote:
Has anyone ever noticed how environmental activists never scream about global warming during a massive blizzard? :lol:

Actually, increased precipitation can be a feature of overall climate warming. That includes snow.