ive heard hallucinogenic drugs are the way to spiritual.....

Page 2 of 3 [ 44 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

sojournertruth
Toucan
Toucan

12 Feb 2008, 1:17 pm

There was an idiot teenager who took datura and landed in the hospital I work at just about a month ago. She was screaming at the top of her lungs the entire time she was there - three days, until we transferred her to a larger hospital.

zee
Veteran
Veteran

12 Feb 2008, 2:32 pm

psych wrote:
Amanita muscraia require a preparing before consumption, in order to convert ibotenic acid into muscimol.

The preparation (by drying) speeds up the reaction by removing excess water. It is the human body that converts ibotenic acid into muscimol, which is not a hallucinogen, but rather a psychoactive compound which interferes with neurotransmitters.
This may cause distortion of perceptions, as well as sweating, tremors/seizures, and delerium.

McGuinness
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker

12 Feb 2008, 7:03 pm

sojournertruth wrote:
Heya -
I work in a hospital, so I see the negative sides of drugs pretty exclusively. I wouldn't recommend it to anyone. I've seen people screaming uncontrolably and thrashing in their beds so that they had to be tied down to keep them from harming themselves; I've seen people blow out their long term memory (ie, longer than about 5 seconds); I've seen people go into organ failure. Don't do it. There's a good chance you'll regret it.

Those people also didn't make any effort to prepare themselves for their experiences. The people that have bad trips are the people that buy mushrooms or LSD expecting to see pretty colors and visual distortions, and then they start to experience a spiritual world they had no clue existed. And when you enter that world and refuse to coexist with it, the outcome is always bad. You can be stuck in a nightmarish state, because that is what you choose to perceive it as. What you would have seen as beautiful angels had you come into the trip in the proper state of mind, will be hellish demons. Also, a hospital is a horrible environment to trip in. If they weren't freaking out before they got there, and had their parents or teacher or whoever not sent them there because they were "talking to things that aren't there" or acting like they are on drugs, then they may have never been in that state at the hospital to begin with. It is typically the events leading up to hospitalization that make the trip as bad as it is. If hospital staff were trained to know how to soothe someone under the influence of hallucinogens rather than simply sedate them end results would be far, far better. You can talk anyone out of a bad trip, you just have to know how.

SilverProteus wrote:
Besides unpredicatble, they can be dangerous. LSD, for instance, is stored in fatty tissue and can be 'released' when you least expect it. You can 'trip' weeks or even months later, even if you're not taking it anymore. Imagine tripping and driving; not good.

That is a myth. LSD is eliminated from the body within two to three days of taking it, typically. How is a water soluble chemical going to be stored in fatty tissue, might I ask? Flashbacks do exist however, but flashbacks intense enough to make incapable of driving a vehicle are EXTREMELY rare. There is a ridiculous amount of propaganda surrounding LSD... If someone tells you something about it, check up on Erowid.org or similar sites and find out if its BS or not before you take it to heart. Intense flashbacks typically come from extremely difficult and intensely grim experiences, which can be prevented by using some common sense regarding your mindset, and physical setting. Going out in public under the influence illegal drugs is absolutely absurd. You're ASKING for trouble.

And to the OP, I personally believe that psychedelic drugs can lead to enlightenment. I think they are, however, a shortcut. You can reach the same place via meditation and hard work. Some people are not capable of taking this shortcut though, psychedelics are NOT for everyone. Especially people prone to mental illness.... which a lot of aspies are, if I recall correctly.

If you decide to use hallucinogens, such as LSD, mescaline, DMT, or magic mushrooms aka psilocybin/psilocin, then get into meditation first. This is one pool I do not suggest jumping into.... it is good to get your feet wet first. Being able to understand where you are and where you are going mentally is essential with psychedelics. Also, always start at low, threshold doses and work your way up. Chances are that yes, you will eventually have a bad trip no matter what. Coming to an understanding of everything that is wrong about the choices you make in life in a six hour period is enough to scare anybody, under the influence of drugs or not. Sometimes psychedelics can "bring to life" all the things you buried in the back of your mind, which you had tried to keep hidden from your conscious self. All in all though you cannot become enlightened without these self realizations... With psychedelics it throws them at you in a period of a couple hours, and through meditation and philosophy they come at you over a period of years.

It just depends on what route you want to take.

techstepgenr8tion
Veteran
Veteran

12 Feb 2008, 7:32 pm

sojournertruth wrote:
I disagree that any adventure perceived while high on drugs has anything to do with real enlightenment. It's a mirage that takes place nowhere other than in one's own imagination.

Here's one thing I will say about this though. People definitely do react to these things differently, ie. they all trip but some people can take something away from it when they sober up - some can't. In my own experience, I could realize it was a mental mirage, but those mirages brought me to new connections of ideas and ways of seeing ordinary things that I never would have arrived at otherwise. Then again, on the other side of things, I tend to stay psychologically lucid enough to where I can still tell what's making sense, what isn't, and usually when I've had an epiphany on anything like that it was just as much of an epiphany when I came down; a lot of times because when I did do these kinds of things I self-analyzed a lot and seriously soul searched (stayed real pragmatic with it as well).

I'm not saying that I'd want to sell other people on the idea, its societally frowned upon enough that even getting caught with it can end your life in other ways. Still, for the people who can brave the risks, can find it without the fear of a dealer with a wire tap, and who respect the stuff enough to stay in moderation with it - I'd say keep it minimal, don't do it too often, but still, once in a while it will show you things that are locked in your subconscious (about your own life) that you'd really rather know and have come to the front once in a while.

The one thing I've always sort of wondered about though, is it true that hallucinogens can really hyper-plasticize the brain momentarily? Back when I did this stuff (back in 2000 and 2001 particularly) I put a lot of effort into self-help and trying to get my mind to function the way I wanted to. Not that I completely blew away the fun part, I enjoyed those aspects but I always tried to take myself that extra mile and take advantage of what I could gain from the situation in terms of perspective and trying to strengthen neurological connections which I knew that I was week in when at a resting or normal state.

history_of_psychiatry
Veteran
Veteran

13 Feb 2008, 10:34 am

A couple of months ago I had a bad acid trip. I dropped two hits. The comming up of the trip was exhilerating. I felt like i understood life and like i was thinking real for the first time. Then around the peak i started to lose track of my thoughts and panicked. I'm never touching lsd again but i'm glad i had that trip. I feel it taught me alot about myself. I feel more emotionally sensitive now too. If you're going to do hallucinogens just be careful.

sojournertruth
Toucan
Toucan

13 Feb 2008, 1:07 pm

zee wrote:
psych wrote:
Amanita muscraia require a preparing before consumption, in order to convert ibotenic acid into muscimol.

The preparation (by drying) speeds up the reaction by removing excess water. It is the human body that converts ibotenic acid into muscimol, which is not a hallucinogen, but rather a psychoactive compound which interferes with neurotransmitters.
This may cause distortion of perceptions, as well as sweating, tremors/seizures, and delerium.

Not to mention siezures, coma, and amnesia.

amanita muscarina

quote:
Victims of Amanita muscaria poisoning are generally either young children or people ingesting it for a hallucinogenic experience.[3] About one gram of A. muscaria or 50-100 mg ibotenic acid is considered a toxic dose.[39] [40] Ibotenic acid, a compound present in A. muscaria, is a powerful neurotoxin that is used as a "brain-lesioning agent" and has shown to be highly neurotoxic when "injected directly into the brains of mice and rats."[41]
Fly agarics are known for the unpredictability of their effects. Depending on habitat and the amount ingested per body weight, effects can range from nausea and twitching to drowsiness, cholinergic effects (low blood pressure, sweating and salivation), auditory and visual distortions, mood changes, euphoria, relaxation, and loss of equilibrium. Retrograde amnesia frequently results following recovery.[42] [43] [36]
In cases of serious poisoning it causes a delirium, characterized by bouts of marked agitation with confusion, hallucinations, and irritability followed by periods of central nervous system depression. Seizures and coma may also occur in severe poisonings.[36] Effects typically appear after around 30 to 90 minutes and peak within three hours, but certain effects can last for a number of days. [39][44]

SilverProteus
Veteran
Veteran

13 Feb 2008, 1:13 pm

McGuinness wrote:
SilverProteus wrote:
Besides unpredicatble, they can be dangerous. LSD, for instance, is stored in fatty tissue and can be 'released' when you least expect it. You can 'trip' weeks or even months later, even if you're not taking it anymore. Imagine tripping and driving; not good.

That is a myth. LSD is eliminated from the body within two to three days of taking it, typically. How is a water soluble chemical going to be stored in fatty tissue, might I ask? Flashbacks do exist however, but flashbacks intense enough to make incapable of driving a vehicle are EXTREMELY rare. There is a ridiculous amount of propaganda surrounding LSD... If someone tells you something about it, check up on Erowid.org or similar sites and find out if its BS or not before you take it to heart. Intense flashbacks typically come from extremely difficult and intensely grim experiences, which can be prevented by using some common sense regarding your mindset, and physical setting. Going out in public under the influence illegal drugs is absolutely absurd. You're ASKING for trouble.

I read a bit on LSD and saw that truly, what they tell us in HS isn't a 100% true or at least not statistically proven ;).

Kris94
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

13 Feb 2008, 1:53 pm

Note: I intend to have a philosybin trip when im older, (18th birthday)
1. shamanic drumming
2. lucid dreaming
3. OBE attempts
4. getting " half asleep"
5. sitting in the dark meditating.

ive so far had 3 experiences.

1 While astraly progecting, I talked to 'god' who told me we all are one and theirs no such thing as death
2. while having a shamanic drumming I saw geometric patterns on the walls
3. while half asleep half awake I saw a large snake

D1nk0
Veteran
Veteran

03 May 2008, 10:21 am

sojournertruth wrote:
I disagree that any adventure perceived while high on drugs has anything to do with real enlightenment. It's a mirage that takes place nowhere other than in one's own imagination.

In order to gain a True appreciation and complete understanding of reality, you have to take a vaction from it at least once in your lifetime AFAIC :wink: .

skafather84
Veteran
Veteran

03 May 2008, 4:16 pm

Kris94 wrote:
...enlightenment. Yes, its true, I've never taken drugs before but I have read books by terrence Mkenna, dr. timothy leary and others. I don't use drugs but I have lucid dreams where I get answers from 'god' as you would call him to solve my problems and it has helped my AS alot.

do you think it is the answer?

you can certainly fool yourself more easily into believing you had a religious experience. i think there's a lot of introspection and real analyst of yourself and it's a real honesty with who you are...but i don't think it's spiritual anymore than than those people who claimed to feel the lord going to marjoe's traveling circus of miracles.

but then again i've only tried shrooms. i'm trying to find some DMT.

spudnik
Veteran
Veteran

03 May 2008, 8:49 pm

You can't find spirituality or enlightenment though artificial means. All these so called Enlightenment Guru's were only enlightened enough to see a sucker buying into their false claims. Enlightenment Guru's such as Tm's Maharishi Mahesh Yogi or Timothy Leary's tune in and drop out, is kind of pathetic contemplating your bellybutton, like they suggest. If you haven't taken LSD, then don't, my own mind was too f****d over by this stuff, back in the 80's, when I had someone put it in my drink at a party, it didn't enlighten me, it put me in the hospital when I tried to kill myself, if anything it made my life a living hell which still effects me to this day, with some bad flashbacks and more hospital stays, I have post traumatic stress disorder, which was most likely caused by LSD, so even the thought of suggesting this drug as the answer to enlightenment, is nuts, and should not be even mentioned here. The problems with LSD or any other psychedelic drug, are to numerous, everything from extreme psychosis, flashbacks, convulsions.

Dokken
Veteran
Veteran

03 May 2008, 11:56 pm

I'll tell you what works. Some peyote, works better than acid. Belladonna best s**t, you will have a spiritual experience or think you're on a pirate boat

Confused-Fish
Veteran
Veteran

04 May 2008, 6:36 am

Kris94 wrote:
...enlightenment. Yes, its true, I've never taken drugs before but I have read books by terrence Mkenna, dr. timothy leary and others. I don't use drugs but I have lucid dreams where I get answers from 'god' as you would call him to solve my problems and it has helped my AS alot.

do you think it is the answer?

its one of many ways. my recommendation's are cannabis, salvia and magic mushrooms.

if you plan on using them for spiritual reasons don't abuse them though :wink: oh n btw, lucid dreaming! im jealous!! :evil: :P

skafather84
Veteran
Veteran

04 May 2008, 7:02 am

spudnik wrote:
You can't find spirituality or enlightenment though artificial means. All these so called Enlightenment Guru's were only enlightened enough to see a sucker buying into their false claims. Enlightenment Guru's such as Tm's Maharishi Mahesh Yogi or Timothy Leary's tune in and drop out, is kind of pathetic contemplating your bellybutton, like they suggest. If you haven't taken LSD, then don't, my own mind was too f**** over by this stuff, back in the 80's, when I had someone put it in my drink at a party, it didn't enlighten me, it put me in the hospital when I tried to kill myself, if anything it made my life a living hell which still effects me to this day, with some bad flashbacks and more hospital stays, I have post traumatic stress disorder, which was most likely caused by LSD, so even the thought of suggesting this drug as the answer to enlightenment, is nuts, and should not be even mentioned here. The problems with LSD or any other psychedelic drug, are to numerous, everything from extreme psychosis, flashbacks, convulsions.

i very much equate slipping hallucinogens to unsuspecting people on the same level as rape. it ends up being a very personal violation that can f**k you up for life and i really am sorry that some dumb piece of pondscum did that to you. and i can't stress enough how wrong that was what was done to you but for you to judge and dismiss an entire group of people due to one s**thead....it's just not right.

bheid
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

04 May 2008, 4:37 pm

sojournertruth wrote:
MysteryFan3 wrote:
Nature abhors an arrogant fool.

QFT

Quoted for irony, is what you meant to say.
Nature could love an arrogant fool. Hey, George is president. Have you recently asked nature what she likes? No? Then how arrogant of you to say what she likes! :lol:

Aalto
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

04 May 2008, 8:01 pm

I completely endorse drug use and related practices as a path to enlightenment.