I think I have the calling (very Catholic thread)

Page 2 of 2 [ 28 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2

richardbenson
Xfractor Card #351
Xfractor Card #351

17 Feb 2008, 1:46 pm

well goodluck with that. ive always wanted to become a buddist monk myself

ClosetAspy
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

17 Feb 2008, 5:08 pm

From what a nun once told me it is very difficult to become one. Basically, it is the community that makes the decision on whether to accept you. Because it is a very difficult life, they want people that are not going to be a liability; you have to be emotionally or mentally stable. If I understood her correctly, during the screening period they are looking for reasons to reject candidates and ASD may be one of them. She said emphatically that it is not an escape from life; if you have any issues outside of the convent you'd better get them resolved beforehand. Also, many if not all, of the active orders in the USA are now requiring college degrees and/or skills, like nursing or teaching.

You did not say what kind of order you are thinking about entering; most nuns nowadays--at least the ones I know--are not cloistered and the traditional convent is becoming a thing of the past. So, I do not see any reason why you would not be able to continue participating in WP forums.

I would say the biggest drawback to becoming a nun these days is that many orders are in danger of extinction and/or are overburdened with elderly members who can no longer contribute to community finances. The Sisters of Saint Joseph, where I live, had to close down for that reason. They once had a thriving college; now they are reduced to a handful and I do not know where they are living since they lost their convent. Probably scattered among various nursing homes.

Good luck in your calling.

pandabear
Veteran
Veteran

17 Feb 2008, 10:01 pm

MissPickwickian wrote:

I dreamed of Hildegaard. She handed me a human heart, and I was happy.

Who is Hildegaard?

I think that if I dreamed of someone handing me a human heart, I would wake up terrified.

pandabear
Veteran
Veteran

17 Feb 2008, 10:03 pm

richardbenson wrote:
well goodluck with that. ive always wanted to become a buddist monk myself

You can become a short-term Buddhist monk--most people do in Buddhist countries, as a part of growing up.

Perambulator
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

18 Feb 2008, 10:33 am

If you really do become a nun I'm afraid you'll be making a mistake. There's a good reason most people have stopped being as religious as the Catholic Church wants you to be: there's just no point. What's the use in self-denial? You won't help anyone by hiding in a convent and abstaining from the pleasures and risks of life. You'll only become oppressed and by joining will be supporting the oppression convents offer. People fought quite hard to get the church to stop interfering too much with their lives, those were hard earned freedoms. I find the Catholic religion absurd.

I'm a Lutheran Christian and to me it makes much more sense. Lutheranism is a major branch of Protestant Christianity that identifies with the teachings of the sixteenth-century German reformer Martin Luther. Luther's efforts to reform the theology and practice of the Church launched the Protestant Reformation and, though it was not his original intention, left Western Christianity divided. Today, nearly 70 million Christians belong to Lutheran churches worldwide.

The split between Lutherans and the Roman Catholic Church arose mainly over the doctrine of justification before God. Specifically, Lutheranism advocates a doctrine of justification "by grace alone through faith alone because of Christ alone," distinct from the Roman Catholic view of works-based faith including indulgences. Lutheranism is also distinct from the Reformed Churches, another major church which arose during the Reformation. Unlike the Reformed Churches, Lutherans have retained many of the sacramental understandings and liturgical practices of the pre-Reformation Church. Lutheran theology differs considerably from Reformed theology in its understanding of divine grace and predestination to eternity after death.

Postperson
Veteran
Veteran

18 Feb 2008, 4:01 pm

The last pope (before this one) signed the papers to say that salvation is by faith alone. It was about 6 years ago. It's something I take an interest in. Naturally it hasn't made a huge difference to catholicism because traditon overrrides, but nevertheless, he has signed the papers.

jonk
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

18 Feb 2008, 4:11 pm

Postperson wrote:
The last pope (before this one) signed the papers to say that salvation is by faith alone. It was about 6 years ago. It's something I take an interest in. Naturally it hasn't made a huge difference to catholicism because traditon overrrides, but nevertheless, he has signed the papers.

Ex cathedra?

(I ask because this power was only used once I know of: in 1950 when Pius XII defined the Assumption of Mary as an article of faith for Roman Catholics.)

Added: I suppose the declaration of Papal Infallibility, itself, in 1870 could be considered another use of that power. And just maybe the pronouncement about the Immaculate Conception of Mary in 1854, I suppose. But regardless of how you see it, the use of such presumptions of infallibility are pretty rare. Hence, my question about this.

Jon

Last edited by jonk on 18 Feb 2008, 4:21 pm, edited 1 time in total.

ClosetAspy
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

18 Feb 2008, 4:13 pm

Do you have a spiritual advisor you can trust? That is where I would go first. If you have a specific order in mind, I would establish a relationship with its spiritual director. You might not like everything he or she has to say, but a good spiritual director is honest, and remember, many of these religious orders are centuries old. So they have a lot of experience and wisdom when it comes to evaluating candidates' calls.

Some time ago, when I was in my idealistic religious phase, I thought that I might join the Third Order Franciscans (a secular group that takes a form of religious vows but otherwise lives out in the world). Our spiritual director was an elderly nun and she and I had several very frank talks. In the end I chose not to join, but I will never forget what she said about the consecrated spiritual life. I thought of her when you said something about not having to deal with sex. Sister Elizabeth was very, very clear on that point, that while a nun is expected to be celibate, there is much more to celibacy than giving up sex. If you do not have a healthy view of your own sexuality, she said, then you have no business becoming a nun. More to the point, no order worth its name will have you. I was rather surprised because nuns have this stereotype of being repressed and frigid. The idea is not to deny your sexual energy but to put it towards service in God's name; and if you are having sexual avoidance issues, the convent is not the place to deal with it. Convent living is about community living; if you have trouble getting along with people, these issues will only be magnified inside the convent.

I don't think that you have to worry about making a mistake, because, as I said earlier, according to Sister Elizabeth, it is the community that ultimately decides, and the standards for admission are very, very high. I would imagine that they are even stricter now after the pedophile scandals. So, be prepared for a very thorough evaluation--and be prepared for rejection. It may not be the life for you. But only a competent spiritual director can advise you on this.

sartresue
Veteran
Veteran

18 Feb 2008, 4:21 pm

Blessed are the Meek thread

Such a young girl, knowing what she would like to do, and having heard the call and listened.

I wonder if there are already any Aspie nuns?

The average age of today's nuns is none too young. The orders need a breath of fresh air. You can try it, and then if you do not fit, there may be something about Maria! but seriously, I admire those who are so spiritual that they wish to make it their chosen life. God be with you.

Phuture Phounder of the Philosophy Phactory

NOT a believer of Mystic Woo-Woo

jonk
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

18 Feb 2008, 4:26 pm

ClosetAspy wrote:
Do you have a spiritual advisor you can trust? That is where I would go first. If you have a specific order in mind, I would establish a relationship with its spiritual director. You might not like everything he or she has to say, but a good spiritual director is honest, and remember, many of these religious orders are centuries old. So they have a lot of experience and wisdom when it comes to evaluating candidates' calls.

Some time ago, when I was in my idealistic religious phase, I thought that I might join the Third Order Franciscans (a secular group that takes a form of religious vows but otherwise lives out in the world). Our spiritual director was an elderly nun and she and I had several very frank talks. In the end I chose not to join, but I will never forget what she said about the consecrated spiritual life. I thought of her when you said something about not having to deal with sex. Sister Elizabeth was very, very clear on that point, that while a nun is expected to be celibate, there is much more to celibacy than giving up sex. If you do not have a healthy view of your own sexuality, she said, then you have no business becoming a nun. More to the point, no order worth its name will have you. I was rather surprised because nuns have this stereotype of being repressed and frigid. The idea is not to deny your sexual energy but to put it towards service in God's name; and if you are having sexual avoidance issues, the convent is not the place to deal with it. Convent living is about community living; if you have trouble getting along with people, these issues will only be magnified inside the convent.

I don't think that you have to worry about making a mistake, because, as I said earlier, according to Sister Elizabeth, it is the community that ultimately decides, and the standards for admission are very, very high. I would imagine that they are even stricter now after the pedophile scandals. So, be prepared for a very thorough evaluation--and be prepared for rejection. It may not be the life for you. But only a competent spiritual director can advise you on this.

Good, informed advice. Well added!

Jon

Postperson
Veteran
Veteran

18 Feb 2008, 4:59 pm

sartresue wrote:
I wonder if there are already any Aspie nuns?
<snip>

I always wondered about Sister Wendy. I don't know if her art historian tv shows aired in the USA, but they were quite popular here.

I believe she lives in a caravan.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sister_Wendy_Beckett

slowmutant
Veteran
Veteran

27 Feb 2008, 4:02 am

a no-frills excuse to never have sex? oh my! 8O

Sex is a gift from God, too! What if you're 80, a very old nun, and you have regrets about vowing to remain celibate? Better be sure, hon.

I'm from a big Catholic family myself, and, like you, have felt the calling. But it's maddeningly vague! Can anyone tell me exactly what divinity school is? The Lord, in that soft small voice that is as big as the sky, put this in my path as well.