Page 2 of 3 [ 36 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

skafather84
Veteran
Veteran

11 Mar 2007, 5:17 pm

Starbuline wrote:
A lot of you guys need to STFU. Don't insult members for liking a certain artist. If you don't, that's fine, but please don't take it out on othe WP members. Be kind.

everyone has a right to like what they like....but not to believe lies that devalue an entire musical movement. it's not that they like her that i have a problem with....it's that they believe the lies put forward in the packaging of her performance.

i'm sorry if i wasn't clear on this point before. it's not the liking of the performer (which, she's a performer, not an artist). it's the lies and devaluing something that was a very important part of my life.

Starbuline
Veteran
Veteran

11 Mar 2007, 7:57 pm

Don't start fights with members.

kidwiththereplaceablehead
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker

13 Mar 2007, 1:19 am

Maybe we were all a little harsh i used to like GC after all and would have defended them till the
end. but its the question everyones asked since Strummers law was first thought up do people sell out on perpose or are they victems of the record companys. do you no what Olga (frontman of comedic punk band toy dolls) says when asked about pop selling out etc he just laughs. look ive been in forums all over the net and all they do is argue about so and so's a sell out there a bunch of possers this and ive been guilty of arguing back but frankly most of these guys on these forums are probly just nerds who never played a guitar in there life i was one for many years and still am to a pretty big extent but who cares. avril is pretty annoying if you ask me but shes not that bad. think of how much other genres have changed by comparrison to punk dispite all this talk about it being dead i think its really been pretty stuborn over the years and hasn't dare i say it changed all that much. so why don't we all (myself included) go out and get a life.(no affence. as my mum always says when ever i get into a never ending aspie debate (usaully by that point the person i was argueing with has left the room several hours earlyer) "just drop it"

-SORRY-

sunnycat
Veteran
Veteran

13 Mar 2007, 1:34 am

skafather84 wrote:
Starbuline wrote:
A lot of you guys need to STFU. Don't insult members for liking a certain artist. If you don't, that's fine, but please don't take it out on othe WP members. Be kind.

everyone has a right to like what they like....but not to believe lies that devalue an entire musical movement. it's not that they like her that i have a problem with....it's that they believe the lies put forward in the packaging of her performance.

i'm sorry if i wasn't clear on this point before. it's not the liking of the performer (which, she's a performer, not an artist). it's the lies and devaluing something that was a very important part of my life.

Umm..I'm not well informed on punk music, please excuse me for that, I was expressing my disappointment in Avril Lavigne because I thought she was different from other commercial singers and later on I realized that she was just as much as commercial. Meaning, she presents a well developed image which does not express her soul and deepest personalities, which does not stem from her own creative energy, and which aims at material gain and fame. I think nobody should devalue an entire musical movement. If Avril was borrowing from punk music, then she should have been clear with what she was doing and not present herself as a real punk musician. And the borrowing should have been done in a respectful manner, giving due credits and within the allowed limits... (I'm thinking in terms of quotations when you write a paper...like...when you quote, you should avoid plagiarism...)

Last edited by sunnycat on 14 Mar 2007, 1:34 am, edited 1 time in total.

bjmax31
Toucan
Toucan

13 Mar 2007, 1:39 am

i might sound like and old fart

but

"At least it's better than the most of that "thud thud thud"

Or that "ra ra ra ra"

They play on the radio now days! :D

on a side note isn't she a goth???
or EMO or something like that?

i like her skater boy

13 Mar 2007, 2:15 am

ha express her soul and deepest personalities. ive got my own band (sort of havn't got a bass) and ive wrote some songs before and well ive been more worried about the words fitting with the rhythm guitar than deep lyrical meaning. some of the best punk songs have had no meaning at all there just away of writing something with the same amount of sylables as the amount of times you strumm the guitar so its as easy as posible to play. punks are average joes mostly they don't have soul they don't have any singing or playing skills hell they can't even dance they just want to get up on stage and have fun. ok i thought i should be constructive so im going to recommend some bands to anyone who likes avril. ok so avril claims to be hardcore and her most famous song is skater boy so. NSFU (as already mentioned) NoFx, social distortion, um Offspring, hmm somthing girly how about the Go Go's, Runaways thats about all i can think of on short notice.

skafather84
Veteran
Veteran

13 Mar 2007, 2:19 am

sunnycat wrote:
skafather84 wrote:
Starbuline wrote:

Umm..I'm not well informed on punk music, please excuse me for that, I was expressing my disappointment in Avril Lavigne because I thought she was different from other commercial singers and later on I realized that she was just as much as commercial. Meaning, she presents a well developed image which does not express her soul and deepest personalities, which does not stem from her own creative energy, and which aims at material gain and fame. I think nobody should devalue an entire musical movement. If Avril was borrowing from punk music, then she should have been clear with what she was doing and not present herself as a real punk musician. And the borrowing should have been done in a respectful manner, giving due credits and within the allowed limits... (I'm thinking in terms of quotations when you write a paper...like...when you quotate, you should avoid plagiarism...)

word. avril lavigne is very much a case of mixed signals with the whole punk thing....and most of her followers attached to the punk thing...but it wasn't really punk, it was cheap, fake rebellion.

if you liked her older stuff when she had more rock sounding music, check out the band zolof the rock and roll destroyer....an awesome pop punk band with synths and female vocals. not as refined and polished as lavigne...but that's part of the punk culture....the idea of not being polished...the art is in the roughness, you know?

and she did say some bands who were "punk." kinda part of her whole promotion of the image...the funniest one being a band called the d4....this is mainly because in the actual punk scene, there's a band called dillenger four...and, yep, they're refered to by many as d4....the band she refered to is a popular rock band named the d4 who played a form of garage rock/proto punk that was very popular at the time. pretty much demonstrating and entire lack of credibility...not to mention people who actually are from the punk scene and introducing people from the outside normally go with the old school bands because it's all about knowing the roots of the music....it just gets less pure and more convoluted from that point. so if i was suggesting punk bands, i'd more say bands like the dead boys, the clash, stiff little fingers, and maybe for a modern one, throw in something a little more obscure that i like....like jaya the cat or bomb the music industry.

but yeah....the whole thing was just a well-crafted marketing scheme and nothing more with avril.

if you want real punk, i'd be glad to point you in that direction. :)

skafather84
Veteran
Veteran

13 Mar 2007, 2:24 am

kidwiththereplaceablehead wrote:
ha express her soul and deepest personalities. ive got my own band (sort of havn't got a bass) and ive wrote some songs before and well ive been more worried about the words fitting with the rhythm guitar than deep lyrical meaning. some of the best punk songs have had no meaning at all there just away of writing something with the same amount of sylables as the amount of times you strumm the guitar so its as easy as posible to play. punks are average joes mostly they don't have soul they don't have any singing or playing skills hell they can't even dance they just want to get up on stage and have fun. ok i thought i should be constructive so im going to recommend some bands to anyone who likes avril. ok so avril claims to be hardcore and her most famous song is skater boy so. NSFU (as already mentioned) NoFx, social distortion, um Offspring, hmm somthing girly how about the Go Go's, Runaways thats about all i can think of on short notice.

punk bands have a lot to say!! !! bad brains? bad religion? the clash? even the new-wave side of punk had a lot of political leanings like with oingo boingo and devo....even though i'd say that was more social commentary.

...and then there's the descendents. that's absolutely expressing their souls and deepest feelings....and also writing songs about absolutely nothing.

and as for girl-fronted punk.....go with zolof the rock and roll destroyer, discount, this is my fist!, and the gits.

skafather84
Veteran
Veteran

13 Mar 2007, 2:27 am

Maybe we were all a little harsh i used to like GC after all and would have defended them till the
end. but its the question everyones asked since Strummers law was first thought up do people sell out on perpose or are they victems of the record companys. do you no what Olga (frontman of comedic punk band toy dolls) says when asked about pop selling out etc he just laughs. look ive been in forums all over the net and all they do is argue about so and so's a sell out there a bunch of possers this and ive been guilty of arguing back but frankly most of these guys on these forums are probly just nerds who never played a guitar in there life i was one for many years and still am to a pretty big extent but who cares. avril is pretty annoying if you ask me but shes not that bad. think of how much other genres have changed by comparrison to punk dispite all this talk about it being dead i think its really been pretty stuborn over the years and hasn't dare i say it changed all that much. so why don't we all (myself included) go out and get a life.(no affence. as my mum always says when ever i get into a never ending aspie debate (usaully by that point the person i was argueing with has left the room several hours earlyer) "just drop it"

-SORRY-

with regards to this post....one comic comes to mind...

but that's different from avril lavigne which was marketing purely from the start...the same with pink.

jonathan79
Veteran
Veteran

13 Mar 2007, 6:00 pm

I like some of her stuff, but there was this one song (with you) that I thought it summed up my life perfectly, it was about waiting for someone she never met yet;

I'm standing on a bridge
I'm waiting in the dark
I thought that you'd be here by now
There's nothing but the rain
No footsteps on the ground
I'm listening but there's no sound

Isn't anyone trying to find me?
Won't somebody come take take me me home
Isn't anyone trying to find me?
Won't somebody come take take me me home

I thought that was a great song.

Starbuline
Veteran
Veteran

14 Mar 2007, 1:28 am

end.

Oh, I remember my GC days. I got a lot of s**t for liking them!! ! :!:

14 Mar 2007, 3:36 am

ah when pop punk first started it was great. i mean most of the bands had been going for ages offspring started during the end of the second wave and Fat mike was an underground legend and greenday were still having the occasional "greenday". most of these bands performed live and where still underground there was nothing wrong with them. i think it all went wrong when epitaph started to grow. back in the day it was justs bad religions post offioce box and they would run the company from there home or what ever just a mail box so people could send them legal documents. or maybe it was when sonic reducers started to shop on ebay (i wrote as song about it actually called sonic reducers shop on ebay).
or was it the emos ive never been to keen on those freaky types walking around with swet bands covering their slashed wrists, after all when u think about it the first wave went under after the damned went goth and then hardcore went under after emo hmm. no i think it was when the ramones went. every so often in human history humans need to be reminded how to rock. nun o this polished crap just turn the amp into over drive and shoot out a few power chords. waynes world waynes world two, airheads, school of rock what part of these movies do people not understand its not about perfection its about going nuts its about raw teen spirit amature rock just jump around with an electic guitar turned up as loud as it'll go for a few minutes and you'll get what i mean but people forget so quickly. GC still like there first two albums wat the hell happened they changed so much they forgot how to rock one minute they where jumping around and the next they were all depressed moping around sing like they where from idol or somthing with all that dredful umm turning i believe thats what the call when u hold a note and thenm change it up and down aparently it means u have soul or somthing like that. then the ultimate emos came my chemical romance and fall out boy the tryed to gain good favopur by sing covers on tony hawk but then last year they revealed there true selves wich i conclude was supposed to be some sort of guy zombies or somthing like that. are but thats not all there was simple plan never liked them maybe it was because they made me face just how far GC had fallen they were like all those suspicous worring songs from GCs second album rolled into one band. but thats not all the first sellout has always be a women. (don't take taht the wrong way) first there was eve and then for a long time nothing happened until the band who marky ramone called the first sellouts Blondie now i don't mind blondie but acording to marky Blondie was offeard a large sum of mony to call themselve newave and sign to thier record company they where the first newave band interesting tevision and Patti smith were given the same offer but refused. and now we see tween idols going for punk one i asecialy dislike is hillary duff man can't stand her but i could put up with her that was until she made a cover of my lips are sealed by the go gos she went to far she ruined it now every time i say i like that song everyone thinks i like duff man don't u hate that. any what can i say almost everyone sells out to some extent but theres a key word there SOME EXTENT everyone sells out just try not to do it to much.

wow thats a bit long ooopps!

hey you no though that comic it could aply to 80's and 70's punk

14 Mar 2007, 3:39 am

Strummers Law-"Any rebellion against external conformity just reinforces internal conformity"

skafather84
Veteran
Veteran

14 Mar 2007, 4:24 am

ah when pop punk first started it was great. i mean most of the bands had been going for ages offspring started during the end of the second wave and Fat mike was an underground legend and greenday were still having the occasional "greenday". most of these bands performed live and where still underground there was nothing wrong with them. i think it all went wrong when epitaph started to grow. back in the day it was justs bad religions post offioce box and they would run the company from there home or what ever just a mail box so people could send them legal documents. or maybe it was when sonic reducers started to shop on ebay (i wrote as song about it actually called sonic reducers shop on ebay).
or was it the emos ive never been to keen on those freaky types walking around with swet bands covering their slashed wrists, after all when u think about it the first wave went under after the damned went goth and then hardcore went under after emo hmm. no i think it was when the ramones went. every so often in human history humans need to be reminded how to rock. nun o this polished crap just turn the amp into over drive and shoot out a few power chords. waynes world waynes world two, airheads, school of rock what part of these movies do people not understand its not about perfection its about going nuts its about raw teen spirit amature rock just jump around with an electic guitar turned up as loud as it'll go for a few minutes and you'll get what i mean but people forget so quickly. GC still like there first two albums wat the hell happened they changed so much they forgot how to rock one minute they where jumping around and the next they were all depressed moping around sing like they where from idol or somthing with all that dredful umm turning i believe thats what the call when u hold a note and thenm change it up and down aparently it means u have soul or somthing like that. then the ultimate emos came my chemical romance and fall out boy the tryed to gain good favopur by sing covers on tony hawk but then last year they revealed there true selves wich i conclude was supposed to be some sort of guy zombies or somthing like that. are but thats not all there was simple plan never liked them maybe it was because they made me face just how far GC had fallen they were like all those suspicous worring songs from GCs second album rolled into one band. but thats not all the first sellout has always be a women. (don't take taht the wrong way) first there was eve and then for a long time nothing happened until the band who marky ramone called the first sellouts Blondie now i don't mind blondie but acording to marky Blondie was offeard a large sum of mony to call themselve newave and sign to thier record company they where the first newave band interesting tevision and Patti smith were given the same offer but refused. and now we see tween idols going for punk one i asecialy dislike is hillary duff man can't stand her but i could put up with her that was until she made a cover of my lips are sealed by the go gos she went to far she ruined it now every time i say i like that song everyone thinks i like duff man don't u hate that. any what can i say almost everyone sells out to some extent but theres a key word there SOME EXTENT everyone sells out just try not to do it to much.

dude...you're speaking a total other language....i came in probably a wave or two before you....mid 90s punk is when i came in. i still can't stand people who refer to nofx and offspring as pop punk. that'd be like saying that rkl is pop punk....however, the descendents are still the kings of pop punk. ALL does good too. mtx is also awesome. then there's sinkhole, discount, squirtgun, pinhead gunpowder, and screeching weasel. but that's just the stuff i like and consider pop punk.....even though part of me still regards the descendents as a hardcore band.

edit: not that i can't stand the people....it's just an annoying thing....because normally the people who do that are the people who look prove themselves punk....it's same routine i've heard a few times before....no offense or anything.

hale_bopp
Veteran
Veteran

14 Mar 2007, 4:30 am

skafather84 wrote:
hale_bopp wrote:
skafather84 wrote:
hale_bopp wrote:
I like her a lot more than I used to.

She's grown up.

people like that don't grow up. they just pay people to write slower, more "mature" music.

She has. She's ditched a lot of the no good attitude and tom boy phase.

*sigh* i'll put it in real simple terms for you. IT'S ALL AN ACT TO FOOL YOU INTO THINKING SHE'S SOMETHING SHES NOT. SHE'S NOT REAL, HER "PUNK" PHASE WASN'T REAL AND NEITHER IS HER CURRENT PHASE, IT'S A MARKETING PLOY TO DUPE PEOPLE TOO STUPID OR TOO LAZY TO GIVE A SPIT.

easy enough? there is no phase other than the one that her manager or record exec tells her to take.

it's fake. you're gullible. and the music sucks anyways.

Whatever trevor.

Tell someone who cares. :wink:

14 Mar 2007, 10:48 pm

skafather84 wrote:

dude...you're speaking a total other language....i came in probably a wave or two before you....mid 90s punk is when i came in. i still can't stand people who refer to nofx and offspring as pop punk. that'd be like saying that rkl is pop punk....however, the descendents are still the kings of pop punk. ALL does good too. mtx is also awesome. then there's sinkhole, discount, squirtgun, pinhead gunpowder, and screeching weasel. but that's just the stuff i like and consider pop punk.....even though part of me still regards the descendents as a hardcore band.

edit: not that i can't stand the people....it's just an annoying thing....because normally the people who do that are the people who look prove themselves punk....it's same routine i've heard a few times before....no offense or anything.

Thats what i mean't i was just trying to explain it and i didn't articulate very well

man i don't realy believe in pop ok not totally. its to hard to explain watever umm i think i get wat u mean but yeah its a bit hard to talk about it in a forum

actualy i agreed with pretty much everything u said so i think were both thinking the same thing just i phrased it differently.

oh and waves don't really work like that in australia we get everything late so i came in listening to everything from mc5 to now in a ramdom order.

im not in a scene so i just read wikipedia and listen to songs off limewire because we don't even have a record shop so maybe u do know more than me ok