Anyone use protein powders or pills?

Page 2 of 2 [ 18 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2

Centinela
Hummingbird
Hummingbird

26 Feb 2008, 7:23 pm

KindofBlue wrote:
There exists mini-weights called micro weights that come in as light as quarter pound increments, but they are expensive. I've seen some web sights which describe how one can make inexpensive home-made ones from chains and even pennies. Unfortunately, as you stated, health clubs normally increase in minimum increments of 5 pounds. Another solution would be magnets, which you could probably take with you to the gym.

Yay! Thank you for the links, I find that incredibly helpful! 8)

Centinela
Hummingbird
Hummingbird

26 Feb 2008, 7:50 pm

gekitsu wrote:
centinela: i also only found small increments with those light ken-and-barbie dumbbells, and i honestly dont know if there is any viable use for them at all.

what kinds of weights workout do you do? if you are using free weights, its quite easy to build up to the next weight - doing negatives, supplemental exercises etcetera... with machines, thats a bit harder.
a few days ago, i read about a guy who bought a heavier kettlebell (the next size up from his old kettlebell was 50% more weight) and couldnt overhead press it at all. he built up muscle by starting all the beginning exercises with the new heaveier bell, swings and all, and after a while, worked up enough to be able to start practising presses - either you do womething like that or you start putting some exercises in place to target the weak links that hinder you practising with the next 5lb increment.

Thanks for the links, I guess I wasn't doing interval training properly :) I'm going to try it!

As for my weights, I prefer free weights but I also mix in some machines. I try to change it every 4 weeks or so, in so that I don't adapt to a specific way of doing it. I generally don't use machines for things like biceps and muscle groups where I have to use really small weights; since machines genrally don't offer loads as small as I require. And yeah their increments also don't go up in small doses.

I have trouble with the negatives since I don't have a partner/spotter to help me with the much heavier loads. Hence the wanting micro weights to build myself up to the next 5lb increment.

You're friend did a nice job of moving up to the heavier ball. I could easily grab the heavier weight and just start lifting using less reps to make up for it, but it didn't seem to fit in with my HST program.