Page 1 of 4 [ 49 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Tom
Veteran
Veteran

19 Sep 2005, 2:39 am

I just read Ghosthunter's last post, and he said he was upset about never being made a moderator despite being such an active member of the site. Do you think someone has a right to expect themselves to be made a mod? If most people with 2000+ posts become mods, and some don't, does that mean the ones that don't have something wrong with them? got me thinking anyway.

Sean
Veteran
Veteran

19 Sep 2005, 2:54 am

I have twice as many posts as some moderators, but I'm not a moderator. I'd like to think that I'm moderator material someday, but I'm probably not. Likewise there are alot of people who post alot and will probably never be moderator material. Sometimes a new member comes along or an older member with few posts gets noticed for being nice and having a cool head and gets made a moderator. As a member with 2000+ posts, I'm not going to complain about that, because it benifits WP more than rewarding the annoying behavior of post-whores (who are usually immature to begin with) with a moderator position.

Note: I am not implying that all members with high post counts are post-whores.

ghotistix
Veteran
Veteran

19 Sep 2005, 3:18 am

This is probably going to make me unpopular. I don't care.

We could all reach Ghosthunter's mark in no time if we followed his lead in frequently double-, triple-, and quadruple-posting.

Besides that, though, I believe it's much more important to look for people who have expressed clear judgment to be moderators. With Ghosthunter, there seems to be no end to those posts that loudly express his hate at WrongPlanet's current state. I don't understand what he's saying most of the time, but what I've picked up makes me think that it would be very unhealthy for WP to have him as moderator. I don't know if he wants to be a moderator just for the honor of it, or because his huge number of posts has somehow "earned it," or so he can wield power over other users.

Just think about it. He holds a deep-seated grudge against the administrators, and also against the very idea of a family-friendly website. He wants his opinions and his "bleeding" to override the needs of anyone else here. Rampant egocentrism is a common trait in autism, I've learned all too clearly. But that does not mean we don't have a responsibility to try to keep it under control if we want to preserve any semblance of a sane community.

Tom
Veteran
Veteran

19 Sep 2005, 3:19 am

Yeah, it's the idea GH has that if you post that much, you will definately be made mod sooner or later, UNLESS you have something very wrong with you and the way you post. I can see his point really, he's wondering why he was passed over.

Tom
Veteran
Veteran

19 Sep 2005, 3:29 am

The thing is, what if you like making controverisal, provocative posts to get people debating. To have a hope of becoming a mod you have to tone yourself down, become a sanitised version of yourself, and you can't argue with anyone. And that's boring.

Civet
Veteran
Veteran

19 Sep 2005, 5:33 am

Moderators are not chosen because of post count, a member who makes 3,000 posts does not have higher eligibility of becoming a mod over a member who makes 200. It may seem like moderators have more posts in general, and that is likely because the more posts you make, the more likely you are to be noticed in such a large community.

Just because someone is not a mod does not mean there is something "wrong" with them.

ljbouchard
Veteran
Veteran

19 Sep 2005, 5:43 am

As a Mod, I would like to answer this. There are a few issues at stake here:

1) Moderators are usually nominated. In fact, I think I know of only one moderator that ask and they were nominated prior to them asking. I would have to question anyone's motives if they request to be a mod. Simply put, power is best in the hands of those that do not want it rather than those that do because those that do not want power are less likely to abuse it.

2) A discussion about the moderators qualities are then discussed amongst the other moderators. We look at quality of posts, level headedness, the length of time in the forums (so quantity has some role but not as much as quality) and whether their personality at the time is such that they would make a good moderator.

3) Once set up as moderator, the person is watched to make sure that they are not abusing their power. There is also an appeal system in place so that someone can go higher if they feel is wrong.

In short however, WP is a private place that allows the public in. Think of it in terms of a food court in a mall. As long as you follow the rules, you are welcome. If you feel like flaunting the rules, you will be asked to leave or if you refuse to leave, forced to leave. The right to create the rules rests solely with Alex. Sometimes though, the rules have to be made to the lowest common denominator to allow all to participate. I have seen instances of children as young as 7 and 8 using this site. At least Alex had the common sense to create a place where adults can be adults. Other than that place, we do ask that the language is kept to PG. Not alot to ask for IMHO.

Finally, I would like to give a few observations as a mod and now as an admin. Alex had requested a few times that I should be a mod and I refused. He eventually forced me to be a mod whether I wanted to or not. The first theng I learned is that no mod can play the role all of the time and not lose their insanity or the fun of the site. One mod does not read every new post that is posted. There is no time for that. What usually happens is that one mod picks up on something and discusses it with the other mods. We mods have strict guidelines to follow. This includes discsussions, when to issue warnings, and recordkeeping. One mod does not have power to exert their opinions on another and quite a few times, a vote is put into place on how to deal with a particular situation. The mods however still have the right to enjoy the site.

As a final note, someone who is a mod or especially admin can do major damage to the site if out of control. A mod can simply request that someone be banned, it is the admin that actually does the task. We have to be very selective or the site will be destroyed.

Thank You

"Only when all those who surround you are different, do you truly belong."
---------------------------------------------------
Fred Tate Little Man Tate

Tom
Veteran
Veteran

19 Sep 2005, 5:44 am

I know...I'm just trying to see it from GHs point of view. I remember when he and Vetevert hit a big number of posts, he saw her and him as "the two senoir WP members". Then she became a mod and not him....I think thats what put him into a sulk?
Anyway lets not forgot that some of us have been here twice as long as him, even if we only have half as many posts.

hale_bopp
Veteran
Veteran

19 Sep 2005, 7:56 am

Quote:
Do you think someone has a right to expect themselves to be made a mod?

NO.

Quote:
I am not implying that all members with high post counts are post-whores.

Alot of them here are though, sorry.

(not me)

*sigh* People need to get over themselves, and stop reading into things. I'm not a moderator, i've been here for ages, but I totally don't care.

I'm more of someone that needs to be moderated.

BlackLiger
Veteran
Veteran

19 Sep 2005, 10:55 am

Heh, I'd love to be a mod or even admin (although that would more be so I could see how the heck alex mades half of the additions to this forum work (grah, I hate PHPBB requiring FTP access to even view basic info) but I know I A) Haven't been a member long enough and B) Am far too opinionated.

coded
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

19 Sep 2005, 11:21 am

If I go to 100 auditions do I automatically get the starring role in the next Spielberg film?

DeepThought
Veteran
Veteran

19 Sep 2005, 12:09 pm

If someone REALLY REALLY REALLY wants to be a moderator, or an admin on a forum, there is one way that they can achieve that without needing anyone else's approval and without having to try to outpost anyone.

1. Get some web space
2. Open a forum
3. Make yourself the adminstrator

I'm the Rhymin' Red Rover, and that's where I'll be.

Tom
Veteran
Veteran

20 Sep 2005, 2:00 pm

This site needs GH as a mod. He's the best guy ever.

Neuroman
Veteran
Veteran

20 Sep 2005, 2:24 pm

I think its a good idea for mods to be nominated. It shows that someone noticed they were doing a good job of whatever they were doing, enough that they could help with the site.
I don't have any complaints about moderators. I think they're doing a great job and probably should be compensated for what they do. I have found them encouraging and helpful (I know that is not everyone's experience).
I don't have any complaints about GH, though I do sometimes find it hard to understand what he is talking about. Maybe that's why he hasn't been nominated (or maybe he has and they're still thinking about it).

Oh - BTW
Thanks, mods.

BeeBee
Veteran
Veteran

20 Sep 2005, 2:31 pm

Neuroman wrote:
Oh - BTW
Thanks, mods.

:D

BeeBee

NeantHumain
Veteran
Veteran

20 Sep 2005, 3:24 pm

There is no entitlement to moderator privileges, in my opinion as a non-policy-setting member of WrongPlanet.net; I express this as a general rule for all online communities. Moderatorships (or operatorships on Internet Relay Chat channels) are not primarily honorifics or titles; they are offices with responsibilities to the community.

Moderators inherit the responsibilities all judges do. They must be fair and impartial, considering all aspects of the case. Their goal is to maintain the order of the community while allowing the free expression of ideas, even controversial ones. This is not something someone is automatically mature enough to do—even if they have made three thousand posts. (Of course, people who are not moderators are not necessarily too immature for moderatorships.)

I have been a channel operator on a few occasions, and I have only ever accepted the responsibilities of the operatorship with reticence. Separating personal dislikes from actual offenses against the community is a duty some people do not want to answer to; a moderator has to be sensitive to the differences between idea-stimulating controversy and destructive flaming. A moderator also has to work to keep ban evaders out so that they do not make any more trouble.

Fortunately, in communities with many moderators, the responsibility is divided. A moderator does not need to worry about not always being there if a vandal should disrupt the forums while he is asleep because another moderator living halfway around the world might catch the vandal instead. Likewise, in complicated cases, a moderator can collaborate with his or her peers to render a more just verdict.

The question of electing moderators is another matter. If I am not mistaken, Sean has suggested a ratio between moderators and members (1:100 maybe). When the ratio is too low, more moderators need to be elected. How should this be done, though? I am not familiar with the current process for WrongPlanet.net, but I know a popular means is through democratic vote. Outstanding members of the community are nominated during one phase; and, in the next, a vote is taken. The members who receive the most votes are elected to the new moderatorships. Other methods are nomination from current moderators or elevation directly from the site's founder/owner/administrator.