Page 2 of 4 [ 49 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

hale_bopp
Veteran
Veteran

20 Sep 2005, 8:15 pm

I know that i'll probably be hated for this, but I don't want Ghosthunter as a mod.

The nominations Idea is crap because why should one persons opinion make someone else a mod?

I think letsgoblues should be a mod. He's the best guy ever.

PhoenixKitten
Veteran
Veteran

20 Sep 2005, 8:45 pm

hale_bopp wrote:
I'm more of someone that needs to be moderated.

Ms. Bopp, your honesty amuses me and makes me chirple! :lol:

As to being a Mod, well, I would be lying if I said that the idea didn't appeal to me. Besides, which sounds better: "I spend all my spare time on WrongPlanet because I love it and I don't have a life", or "Oh, everyone loves me so much, sorry, must go, got an important forum full of disadvantaged and margainalised people to moderate because I am just so charitable *shining halo*"? :lol:

*Note to all literalists: I'm being a silly goose, and I don't see any of you as in need of my charity. I like WrongPlanet. It suits me better than Earth!

Bah, now I'm feeling all squeezy! :? Still, I must say that WP does a LOT better than all those MSN chatrooms that used to be around. The people with the little hammers next tho their name would always jolly well kick me out for being a cat! :( But WrongPlanet liiiiikes the kitty... purrrrrrrrr!

Last edited by PhoenixKitten on 20 Sep 2005, 8:56 pm, edited 1 time in total.

NeantHumain
Veteran
Veteran

20 Sep 2005, 8:54 pm

hale_bopp wrote:
The nominations Idea is crap because why should one persons opinion make someone else a mod?

The type of peer nomination I've described is never enough to make someone a moderator. Members at large vote on a pool of nominees (and nominations may have to be seconded) in an n past the poll (or some other means of voting) to elect the n nominees with the highest percentages of the vote. So the administrators and current moderators of a forum may determine that they need two more moderators. An official call for nominations is made; and, after a few days, the nomination phase is closed. Nominees can either accept or reject being on the ballot. After this, ten candidates are on the ballot. A poll topic can be started for the vote; if anonymity is not thought necessary, members can vote in the poll and, to verify their vote, state their choice in a post to the topic (only posted choices are valid to prevent someone from registering a bunch of dupe accounts to manipulate the vote). Of course, if anonymity is deemed necessary, the accuracy of the poll will have to be assumed. The two candidates to receive the largest portions of the vote become moderators.

The benefit of democratically elected moderators is that forum members will feel that they are being moderated by the community choice instead of by the admin's cronies or by whoever happened to be available first.

The concept of moderation can be made more complicated if forum members especially enjoy debating the details of election procedure or just like politics. Moderatorships could become temporary (with mod elections becoming almost a holiday for the forum). If the moderator pool were made sufficiently large and terms were made sufficiently short, it is possible competing parties would develop. I personally would enjoy such politicking, but I'm not sure if the majority here would too.

Tim_p
Veteran
Veteran

20 Sep 2005, 9:00 pm

No one but the sys admin (Alex) has any inherent right to be a mod.

I think the best way to select mods in a forum this size is to let people volunteer and then be chosen by the admin or by two or three trusted head mods chosen by the admin.

eamonn
Veteran
Veteran

20 Sep 2005, 9:04 pm

Never gonna happen. It is Alex's site so he decides with a little bit of help from the mods. Anyway i think the mods are doing an ok job so dont see the need for any changes. There is no chance of a number of people being mods at the moment and im afraid that Ghosthunter is one of them, so am i and so is Shawn, hale bop and eamon.

EDIT- This was in reply to NeantHumains proposal.

PhoenixKitten
Veteran
Veteran

20 Sep 2005, 9:20 pm

eamonn wrote:
There is no chance of a number of people being mods at the moment and im afraid that Ghosthunter is one of them, so am i and so is Shawn, hale bop and eamon.

Aww gee, I dunno, I LIKED eamon's hairstyle: let's all pick mods based on their fashion sense! :lol:

hale_bopp
Veteran
Veteran

20 Sep 2005, 9:27 pm

If Ghosthunter left because he wasn't made a mod, and will only come back if he is, that's basically abusing and using the people who like to read his posts - some of which will (as viewed in this thread, and the whole reason for this thread entirley) go to any lengths to make him come back.

Not good enough in my opinion.

Maybe If I threaten to jump off a cliff if I don't become a mod, I might become a mod.

Sean
Veteran
Veteran

21 Sep 2005, 12:59 am

hale_bopp wrote:
I know that i'll probably be hated for this, but I don't want Ghosthunter as a mod.

I think letsgoblues should be a mod. He's the best guy ever.

:lol: :lol: :lol:
That's the best argument on this thread so far. I think occasionally pointing someone out to the mods/admins to consider making a mod might not be a bad idea, as long as it doesn't become nagging.

I think I'm farther from understanding the world according to Ghosthunter than ever.

ghotistix
Veteran
Veteran

21 Sep 2005, 1:03 am

hale_bopp wrote:
If Ghosthunter left because he wasn't made a mod, and will only come back if he is, that's basically abusing and using the people who like to read his posts.

He does still post here quite often. It's just he doesn't talk about anything except how he doesn't post here any more. Oh and also how much we are jackasses for not changing the message board rules to suit his posting style.

Bec
Veteran
Veteran

21 Sep 2005, 1:22 am

ghotistix wrote:
Oh and also how much we are jackasses for not changing the message board rules to suit his posting style.

I don't know what specific rules Ghosthunter's posts have broken, but I have difficulty reading and understanding his posts.

(I hope I don't offend, I like Ghosthunter.)

DeepThought
Veteran
Veteran

21 Sep 2005, 6:12 am

I don't think a lot of people realize what the mods are doing "behind the scenes." They have some responsibilities that we don't even think about. Many people would simply not be able to do some of the things that are required of moderators. Remember, they have to moderate the NT and AS parts of the population here. The have to make judgement calls constantly, send letters to people, investigate and be able to effectively communicate with anyone that they need to communicate with behind the scenes. With moderation also comes access to features that many members do not even know exists. To entrust (that is a word, right?) those things to the wrong people could be disasterous, if even only for a little while.

Some people like to feel important and that's why they get upset because they can't be mods, or anything else that seems important. These people don't seem to see that the position of moderator is important yes, but not any more important than just being a member who participates. Without members there would be no reason to have moderators.

Who's, how's and why's of forum moderation is alsways up to the discretion of the owner(s) of any site. I also think that since WP has issued a call for help to try to get people to contibute to it's operations, the ones who actually do contribute some of their time to help with many of the tasks here may stand a little bit better chance of becoming a moderator than ones who don't. Being a moderator requires a lot of dedication, time and participation in things that help maintain, or improve the quality of the site for the members.

Just babbling, carry on...

I'm the Rhymin' Red Rover, and that's where I'll be.

hale_bopp
Veteran
Veteran

21 Sep 2005, 7:02 am

ghotistix wrote:
He does still post here quite often. It's just he doesn't talk about anything except how he doesn't post here any more. Oh and also how much we are jackasses for not changing the message board rules to suit his posting style.

why should they be changed?

I think it's lame that there's mo markings on threads to say that i've posted in them. But why should it be changed because of what I want?

Quote:
I don't think a lot of people realize what the mods are doing "behind the scenes." They have some responsibilities that we don't even think about. Many people would simply not be able to do some of the things that are required of moderators. Remember, they have to moderate the NT and AS parts of the population here. The have to make judgement calls constantly, send letters to people, investigate and be able to effectively communicate with anyone that they need to communicate with behind the scenes. With moderation also comes access to features that many members do not even know exists. To entrust (that is a word, right?) those things to the wrong people could be disasterous, if even only for a little while.

Some people like to feel important and that's why they get upset because they can't be mods, or anything else that seems important. These people don't seem to see that the position of moderator is important yes, but not any more important than just being a member who participates. Without members there would be no reason to have moderators.

Who's, how's and why's of forum moderation is alsways up to the discretion of the owner(s) of any site. I also think that since WP has issued a call for help to try to get people to contibute to it's operations, the ones who actually do contribute some of their time to help with many of the tasks here may stand a little bit better chance of becoming a moderator than ones who don't. Being a moderator requires a lot of dedication, time and participation in things that help maintain, or improve the quality of the site for the members.

Don't be ridiculous, being a moderator is piss easy.

Anyway, back on topic, I have nothing against Ghost Hunter, but some of this is really a bit silly if you ask me. People that whine about not being mods are the ones that shouldn't be.

DeepThought
Veteran
Veteran

21 Sep 2005, 7:21 am

Quote:
Don't be ridiculous, being a moderator is piss easy.

Perhaps for you.

Incidentally, it wasn't off topic. It applies perfectly well to the topic if you actually read it in context.

I'm the Rhymin' Red Rover, and that's where I'll be.

ljbouchard
Veteran
Veteran

21 Sep 2005, 11:14 am

First off, I am not going to get into and detail on why any person is or is not a mod. Those details a private.

I do thank those who have given us thanks for the service we provide. To those that think it is easy to be a mod, well I hope you someday get the chance to be a mod yourself to see how "easy" it really is.

As far as the nomination process, I believe that it is fair. No one user becomes a mod simply by being nominated by one person. There must be concensus amongst the rest of the mods and from Alex (who can reject anyone). We should however keep to the 1:100 ration and we are not. That will have to be remidied soon.

"Only when all those who surround you are different, do you truly belong."
---------------------------------------------------
Fred Tate Little Man Tate

BlackLiger
Veteran
Veteran

21 Sep 2005, 2:13 pm

DeepThought wrote:
If someone REALLY REALLY REALLY wants to be a moderator, or an admin on a forum, there is one way that they can achieve that without needing anyone else's approval and without having to try to outpost anyone.

1. Get some web space
2. Open a forum
3. Make yourself the adminstrator

Forums.codelyokophoenix.info :D das is mien (and a few others)

Although.... hmmm.

Bouch, I'd personally reccomend WP has at least 1 mod from every continent that posts on here, and also 1:100, if not 1:75. That way, (even ignoring how aspies have such strange sleep patterns) we have at least 1 mod online at all times.

Endersdragon
Veteran
Veteran

21 Sep 2005, 2:34 pm

The one thing I dont like about the nomination process is it seems that you could only really be made a mod if you stick out in some way or another. There are alot of people that have 100s or even 1000+ good posts that will never be made a mod because they dont stick out enough for someone to think about nominating them when the time comes. Just my $.02.

Vote for me in 2020 :-D