What's the difference between stimming and... stimming?

Page 1 of 1 [ 3 posts ] 

Sora
Veteran
Veteran

22 Feb 2008, 10:09 am

Warning: Just read something on WP and got confused about what all is stimming and what's not.

Figured, when people are stressed, they stim in order to reduce the stress. It can be stress that is related to hurrying up, emotional uproars that cause stress and all kinds of other stress.

But there's a different type of stimming, isn't there? Is it called something else maybe? When people are not stressed but comfortable and stim then, because they need to in order to concentrate or just because they are very happy and comfortable.

I just got confused whether this is stimming too or something else? Because it is self-stimulation, the same I know from some blind or deaf people. So it's stimming too, isn't it? Or not?
Anyone can answer?

skeeterhawk
Raven
Raven

22 Feb 2008, 2:32 pm

I stim more when I am stressed but I stim a lot of other times too. I differentiate stimming from habits in that, while I can temporarily suppress stims, they will come back. Habits, if suppressed for a while, stay gone. Also, when I am stimming in non-stressful situations, it is definitely a source of pleasure. Hope this helps

quirky
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

22 Feb 2008, 9:09 pm

skeeterhawk wrote:
I stim more when I am stressed but I stim a lot of other times too. I differentiate stimming from habits in that, while I can temporarily suppress stims, they will come back. Habits, if suppressed for a while, stay gone. Also, when I am stimming in non-stressful situations, it is definitely a source of pleasure. Hope this helps

Agreed. Everyone has quirky little habits that are stims, but they can be gotten rid of, and are more done out of boredom. I used to bite my nails, but I got over that. I consider a stim something I have to do to release my mind and body's energy when i think extremely deeply - I can't stop it, or I can't think deeply. It's not something that can be removed from my life.