I know you hate the idea of a cure but how about this...

Page 1 of 3 [ 46 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3  Next

Well?
Yes 19%  19%  [ 12 ]
No 50%  50%  [ 32 ]
Obama 30%  30%  [ 19 ]
Clinton 2%  2%  [ 1 ]
Total votes : 64

fernando
Veteran
Veteran

22 Feb 2008, 1:56 pm

No chemicals, no pills, no surgery, no therapists, no money spent. What if there was a single, easy exercise that you can do alone, in the comfort of your home, that would remove anxiety, remove all sensory issues and let your social skills run free (they have always been there but anxiety kept them prisoner).

You get empathy, conversation, eye contact, theory of mind, dancing skills. You lose your obsessive behavior, routines, hand flapping, constant daydreaming, monotone voice. However, you don't lose your allergies, you don't turn into a trend follower, you don't follow the leader, don't lose your aspie curiosity or your original ideas, don't imitate your peers. However, you do lose your visual thinking, can't play movies in your head anymore, but you inner intelligence remains the same.

All personality traits remain intact, you still like the same movies and music as before, and have the same opinion on most things. Of course, all your memories stay there.

Would you do that exercise? The downside is that you have to do it all day long. You see the first changes in a couple of weeks and the last in about three months (I think theory of mind would be the last change you get).

batista90
Veteran
Veteran

22 Feb 2008, 2:02 pm

arghh cant deside..i dont got movie player in my head but i do have a ipod :P ...hmm but if effect would only last 12h or so i would take it..i wanna listen my head player when im in bed :lol:
and i love my routines

..dead..what u know about dead?
feel free to talk:)

straples-> http://www.alinssite.info/

Greentea
Veteran
Veteran

22 Feb 2008, 2:19 pm

You exercise losing your deep analysis, and focus ability, originality, and exercise being just like everyone else. Sounds great, bring on the exercise.

Morrissey
Blue Jay
Blue Jay

22 Feb 2008, 3:54 pm

I know something that covers a lot of that...

Now, i'm not one for plugging something as delicate as this but I have been doing this for nearly a year and my nerves have faded away, I have more energy, I have deeper insight therefore I find social situations easier to handle, I don't fear things in life as much...

Transcendental Meditation is what I have been practicing since March 07 (well, an alternative to this called 'Natural Stress Relief'), there are no religious connections with this practice although you can read up on Maharashi Yogi and TM if you wish.

It will change your life for sure, in the positives that I have highlighted above however it's for the individual to decide, it might not be for everyone. It means going deeper into yourself, being innocent and diving within. Sometimes I feel spacey, and some people think i'm on recreational drugs, sometimes you might feel as if you're on recreational drugs, in a blissful kind of way.

Again, sorry this reads like a long plug, but i'm just documenting the 'positive' effects it has made on my life, and if it is 'right' for you then the technique will indeed change your life.

LostInEmulation
Veteran
Veteran

22 Feb 2008, 4:03 pm

I do not want to lose my daydreams! I'd be far less creative without them - and so very alone (the thought of that just made me cry IRL)

Penguins cannot fly because what cannot fly cannot crash!

CockneyRebel
Veteran
Veteran

22 Feb 2008, 4:11 pm

No thank you. I'm happy the way that I am, and I do feel empathy and a good sense of theory of mind. I also don't hand flap, nor do I speak in monotone. I also enjoy my daydreams and they help me to be creative.

Spiral153
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

22 Feb 2008, 4:13 pm

fernando wrote:
constant daydreaming

Really? That's an Aspie trait? Cuz I do that like almost 24/7.

sartresue
Veteran
Veteran

22 Feb 2008, 4:18 pm

Run for the cure?

No one would make any money from it. Not bound to succeed if everyone became NT and then no one would be NT. We would have to invent Autism. :roll:

Phuture Phounder of the Philosophy Phactory

NOT a believer of Mystic Woo-Woo

Greentea
Veteran
Veteran

22 Feb 2008, 4:21 pm

LostInEmulation wrote:
I do not want to lose my daydreams! I'd be far less creative without them - and so very alone

I had the same reaction when I read the opening post!

2ukenkerl
Veteran
Veteran

22 Feb 2008, 4:42 pm

Yeah, I like the daydreams I have ALSO! I also DON'T want any more empathy, conversation, eye contact, or "theory of mind". As for dancing skills? The way people do today, FORGET IT! I want to get my old obsessive behavior and routines BACK! The other stuff has a PURPOSE! I NEVER had hand flapping, and rarely a "monotone voice".

I AM curious as to what exercise can do all that though. PLEASE, let us know.

gitchel
Raven
Raven

22 Feb 2008, 4:53 pm

If it were an illness, I'd want a cure. However, it isn't. It's the way I was made, and the way I have always been. I'm not an illness.

I'd hardly want a cure that cures me of being me.

That sounds alot like death.

[email protected]
http://perseveration.org
Twitter: Gitchel

nihil de nobis sine nobis

AndersTheAspie
Veteran
Veteran

22 Feb 2008, 5:03 pm

Well... I meditate to remove anxiety. I wouldn't mind not feeling discomfort with light touches. But other than that I wouldn't want to have any of my traits removed.
Though this may be because I have a very mild case of Asperger's in the sense on social problems. I have empathy, I have social skills and I do not have a monotome voice.
If I did have these symptoms I don't know what I would pick, but as it is now, I wouldn't want to trade my daydreaming for anything.

batista90
Veteran
Veteran

22 Feb 2008, 5:34 pm

i get your points but that is beter then my ritalin i have to take :P

..dead..what u know about dead?
feel free to talk:)

straples-> http://www.alinssite.info/

CockneyRebel
Veteran
Veteran

22 Feb 2008, 6:46 pm

I think that a cure would be as bad as death, as well.

MsJ
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker

22 Feb 2008, 6:55 pm

I'm part of a mysticism group that meditates weekly (not TM), and I HATE the meditation part! I don't mind it for 10 or 15 minutes, but 45 minutes of sitting there makes me want to strangle someone.

The only way I can get through it is to play movies in my head.

-J.

fernando
Veteran
Veteran

22 Feb 2008, 9:29 pm

Greentea wrote:
LostInEmulation wrote:
I do not want to lose my daydreams! I'd be far less creative without them - and so very alone

I had the same reaction when I read the opening post!

I do miss daydreaming... a lot, i've been trying to get it back without losing social skills but it won't happen, and if its a choice, i definitely rather have the social skills.