Page 2 of 2 [ 20 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2

AndersTheAspie
Veteran
Veteran

25 Feb 2008, 1:20 pm

I know that I was a totaly different person when I was younger. I got frustrated easily, and then I would just flail out at whoever was within reach.
Thinking back on all the times I have stood over a crying child, and just not feeling bad about hurting them... turns my stomache.
Not so much that I hurt them, kids hurt eachother after all, but that I could be so cold about it. I doubt the guilt will ever go away, but I console myself with the fact that now I feel bad at least. I will never do anything like it again, nor will I let others do it.

Just trying to say that you are not alone here.

anbuend
Veteran
Veteran

25 Feb 2008, 2:08 pm

Griff, I wouldn't call it sociopathic behavior, I'd call it mean behavior. Anyone else can be mean and end up regretting it. Sociopaths have no conscience and never regret their actions even if they're mean. It's two totally different things.

angelgirl1224
Veteran
Veteran

25 Feb 2008, 6:06 pm

well at least your really sorry about it.

celtic_silver
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

25 Feb 2008, 9:11 pm

Yeah, as long as you feel sorry for what you did. :D

I was the... 'anti-bully'. I used to get the s**t beaten out of me in primary school regularly and that sort of toughened me up. A few years later I'd gotten taller than most people, broader (my shoulders are a few feet apart :lol:), and a few marks from the damage I used to take.

Not the main effect of all this was one thing. It toughened me up, and hardened my attitude towards bullies. I spent the last few years of high school looking out for my group and the very last teaching them a little self defense.

And, well the whole thing left me feeling a little vigilantistic. If I see someone beating on someone else I feel the need to step in regardless of damage to myself. Can't break what's been broken already. :D

But whatever the case, I think the main thing is having empathy. If you do something to others you should feel sorry for it later. I feel sorry for both the people I stop from beating on others, and the dentists who have to fix their teeth. ><

A definition by words is merely a means to deceive oneself. It's meaningless before the truth. What matters is how you perceive things. The slightest shift, then life and death no longer have any meaning.