Page 2 of 3 [ 41 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Aridarr
Veteran
Veteran

25 Feb 2008, 12:26 pm

New Russell T. Davies series: Queer AS folk. :)

txstorm
Hummingbird
Hummingbird

26 Feb 2008, 11:48 pm

ButchCoolidge wrote:
I am of the firm belief that sexual orientation is at least 90% mental. I'll be damned if the length of my fingers has anything to do with my sexuality.

You've got to be joking.

Griff
Veteran
Veteran

27 Feb 2008, 12:35 am

alphacent wrote:
Certainly there must be other males with AS who are also gay.
Me.

Quote:
What does this say about the testosterone theory?
I've always found it ridiculous. AS does seem to be, in some respects, an amplification of certain traits associated with its effects, but I don't think that testosterone is the culprit. It just doesn't work that way.

Quote:
My own guess is that my AS and gayness neutralize each other to some degree--I am neither as "macho" as my AS might make me, nor as feminine as my gayness would make me.
I've never had the slightest degree of machismo.

Quote:
People who meet me do not see either trait in me at first! Thus, I am guessing that this "neutralization" of both parts of my personality is a reality.
If they have neutralized one another, I have two pressing questions:

1) Why are you chasing after other men's bottoms?

2) How in the Hell did you get diagnosed with AS?

Kalister1
Veteran
Veteran

27 Feb 2008, 12:38 am

Aridarr wrote:
New Russell T. Davies series: Queer AS folk. :)

ROFL.

IsThatAFact
Blue Jay
Blue Jay

27 Feb 2008, 1:57 am

The research this story is based on tells it a little different; it is more to do with how many older brothers you have as well as the finger length ratios.
If anyone is interested in the non-Chinese whispered version the full paper from Nature is available along with other papers from one of the author's website.

Website
http://www.msu.edu/~breedsm/pub.htm

Direct link to Nature article
http://msu.edu/~breedsm/pdf/breedlove2000.pdf

Paul56
Emu Egg
Emu Egg

27 Mar 2008, 9:59 am

Liopleurodon wrote:
alphacent wrote:
I am just as curious as the rest of you to find the "causes" of AS and of abnormal sexual orientations. Until we know the actual causes, I am willing to listen to any theories, as long as they are scientific.

Excuse me?

Are you trying to wind me up, or do you not realise how offensive that is?

Yeah- I hope that the "abnormal" reference is a poor attempt at tongue-in-cheek humour. Then again, from bitter experience, bigots turn up everywhere. It's kind of galling when they turn up among people who should no better.

Averick
Veteran
Veteran

27 Mar 2008, 11:38 am

Yeah, like the psychologist who took my finger length. He said I was abnormal, and he wanted to have me institutionalized. I believe the finger correlation to be a myth, and nothing more - though an interesting one.

Asi9
Butterfly
Butterfly

27 Mar 2008, 12:36 pm

I'm not so sure about the finger measurement thing as a form of gay-dar. But I know I'm gay. But I have lesbian hands according to this.

sonny1471
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

27 Mar 2008, 2:04 pm

The finger length theory is just that... a theory. There is no real proof that orientation can be shown through finger length. I do think there is a weird mixing of personality traits when one is both AS and gay though. I'm gay and have "feminine" moments now and again, but I also have definite "butch" moments too. It just depends on the situation.

Oh, and for the record... my ring finger on both hands is longer than my index finger.

Brandon-J
Veteran
Veteran

27 Mar 2008, 3:10 pm

Wow that's really messed up to be gay and have aspergers. I find myself saying alot of times why was I chosen to have aspergers. Then I look at the bright side and say at least I ain't gay.

Asi9
Butterfly
Butterfly

27 Mar 2008, 3:15 pm

Well check out my sig. I'm the biggest hodgepodge of "What the HELL happened here??".

agmoie
Supporting Member
Supporting Member

28 Mar 2008, 4:18 pm

Its impossible to be gay and have Aspergers if you are male.Yes many female Aspies are lesbian or bisexual.
Every gay I have ever met has similar eye contact and mannerisms/body language to female heterosexuals.
Hormones ARE the determining factor in sexual orientation and brain development.
Low levels of testosterone in the male fetus in the womb=gay
High levels of testosterone in the male fetus in the womb=Aspergers
The Asperger`s diagnosis is handed out too readily especially in America.

Asi9
Butterfly
Butterfly

28 Mar 2008, 4:39 pm

I'm sorry.. But to the one above me.. That's some crap. I've known gay guys before who are more socially awkward then I am. It sounds like you're stereo-typing. If we're going to get technical.. I'm a gay guy. I only make eye contact with my mother and the "higher ups" (like my Bosses.) only because I'm told I have to. I've also met some guys that are WAY more butch then any straight guy that happen to be gay.

IsThatAFact
Blue Jay
Blue Jay

28 Mar 2008, 7:22 pm

I thought that stereotypically Aspies were logical and analytical, reading some of the poorly informed and clearly bigoted and prejudiced comments in this discussion, I am not convinced that many so called Aspies are really any different from expressing the same ignorance that we criticise most of the 'normal' population for having.

Averick
Veteran
Veteran

28 Mar 2008, 11:21 pm

agmoie wrote:
Its impossible to be gay and have Aspergers if you are male.Yes many female Aspies are lesbian or bisexual.
Every gay I have ever met has similar eye contact and mannerisms/body language to female heterosexuals.
Hormones ARE the determining factor in sexual orientation and brain development.
Low levels of testosterone in the male fetus in the womb=gay
High levels of testosterone in the male fetus in the womb=Aspergers
The Asperger`s diagnosis is handed out too readily especially in America.

Honestly, that is nothing more than a poorly constructed theory of hormone levels in utero. Scientists could never survey all examples of diversity in this category. To do something like this, you would have to survey everyone since conception. Not to mention the myriads of doctors who profess that autistic sexuality engrosses a commonplace deviation. Homosexuals, bisexual, pansexual, asexual etc.. Do a google search on homosexuality + autism if you like. There are some doctors who think homosexuality and autism are related genetically.

If a lipstick lesbian approached me as an aspie, I wouldn't suspect that she has some sort of chemical dysfunction in the womb.

olle
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

29 Mar 2008, 9:57 am

I am male, and both of my index fingers are longer than my ring fingers. But am i gay? Nope. Not much. Maybe a liiitlle bit, straight/gay ratio 95/5 or so. :P I also have a lot of traits of Asperger's.

So, the finger theory makes no sense to me.