Page 1 of 1 [ 3 posts ] 

ploots
Butterfly
Butterfly

24 Feb 2008, 2:55 pm

Hi, I was wondering if anyone could tell me how they told their manager/boss they have AS?
Reason being, I am a senior manager myself and am going through diagnosis but it is a formality as the AS is a definite. Anyway, I think I should make my manager aware of it becuase of the number of people I manager, the types of projects I manage and the number of people I deal with including politicians and chief execs etc. Problem is, I don't know how to say it and am not at all sure how she would react. We have a good relationship I think, and I am worried that if I say anything that everything will change but realistically I know I have to be honest. So, I was wondering, has anyone else been in the same situation?

Nan
Veteran
Veteran

24 Feb 2008, 3:36 pm

If you have been having no trouble functioning in the workforce until now, there is no reason to tell your boss about any diagnosis. If you have been having difficulties, once you have a confirmed diagnosis you might ask to talk with the boss, and mention that you are concerned as to why your performance isn't what you'd like it to be, say you've been exploring and found out about the AS, and that you have worked out some strategies for working around it - or for using the advantages AS gives you to get the job(s) done in a less traditional manner.

ploots
Butterfly
Butterfly

24 Feb 2008, 4:11 pm

good advice thanks.