Page 1 of 1 [ 3 posts ] 

jack127597
Emu Egg
Emu Egg

28 Feb 2008, 11:12 am

How do you all deal with compromising design decisions at work? I run into alot of conflicts specing out computer/programming projects. I'm not sure if it's just this job where they don't listen, or if it's me, thinking I know best. I will say that when we disagree often the project does a 180 and goes my way, but alot of times I'm not sure if any of those moves were really critical anyway.

I have to really consciously try to 'give and take', but then I feel like I'm just giving up. Sometimes I get to the point where I don't want it their way, don't want it my why, and I can't figure out what to do.

Sometimes I deliberately try to get into a 'follower' role, and take relief in someone else making all the decisions, or just keep implementation details to myself. I might do better as a sole developer in a contracting or 'the only guy who does code' role.

gbollard
Veteran
Veteran

28 Feb 2008, 3:34 pm

It goes with the territory and the bigger the project, the more annoying the decision process becomes.

I often find myself in the same situation. Often, when I suggest that a method being used is incorrect but get ignored, I simply note it in an e-mail. Later, when the project inevitably needs to turn back in my direction, I have their e-mail available if I am challenged.

I don't drag the e-mail out unless I am specifically challenged.

if you get into consulting, you will find that it is much much worse. The best advice I can give a consultant is "remember that since you're not part of the company, you should not have any emotional investment in any projects".

Rainstorm5
Veteran
Veteran

01 Mar 2008, 7:14 pm

I work in print design, but a lot of the same problems come up in regard to design decision involving a publication. I've recently been handed a creative director's position with my company and I took it to heart. For one thing, the publication they put together was (IMO) poorly done and readership started to dwindle. The bosses dumped it in my lap to 'save' the publication. So, I went to my first meeting on the publication this past week and though I was bursting with all sorts of great ideas about format, a new look, etc., the writers brushed me aside and acted like I didn't know what I was talking about.

One writer in particular sees herself as a designer and was sitting there putting forth ideas that no one asked her for (and which I thought were stupid and part of the problem with the current look of the publication), the bosses seemed to be listening to her instead of me - when it was MY job to direct the overall design. This irritated me so much I almost told them to shove their job, but instead I sat there and nodded along with the rest of them. I can see making compromise by listening to the writers' input, but they are writers NOT designers, so in my opinion they shouldn't have any say in how photos, graphics, etc. are used. I compromised for now, but next month I'm going to put the writer who thinks she's a designer in her place. They can fire me if they want afterward, but I'm not going to let an individual who knows next to nothing about design (except in her dreams) make the creative decisions. My question for my supervisors will be this: Did you appoint ME to be creative director or 'her' ?? If it's me, then tell her to shut the &^%$ up and let me do my job.

One should always be willing to make compromises, but only when the other people you have to compromise with actually know what they're talking about. 8O

Best wishes,

Jillian