looking for advice for a graduate design project

Page 1 of 1 [ 4 posts ] 

hal_tins
Emu Egg
Emu Egg

28 Feb 2008, 1:21 pm

Hello

Im a final year graphic design student and wanted to look at Aspergers Syndrome for my final year project. I am looking at designing a information pack for families affected by Aspergers(DVD, booklets aimed at each family member, steps on how to apply for education etc.). I am looking for help regarding how to approach the project and the viewpoint it should take.

I have an older brother with Aspergers who was diagnosed at age 18 when I was 15. As a sibling I felt there was very little information available to explain Aspergers to me other than what came from my parents. Through my own research I have found some really positive outlooks on life with Aspergers that has certainly affected the way I interact with my brother. It appears there is two ways of looking at Aspergers; a syndrome/disorder or just a different type of normal. I wanted to know what people though of the information that is available after a diagnosis.

Is it very clinical, factual, positive, negative?
Are there any sources that you can recommend that shows the clinical diagnosis in a friendly, informative and easily understood way?
Do you take scientific explanations more seriously than personal accounts?
Do you have a preference over printed information or web resources?
Finally, are there areas that you feel are avoided by information resources currently available?

Any help you can give me would be fantastic.

Thank you.

greendeltatke
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

28 Feb 2008, 1:36 pm

Your project sounds fantastic! :)

I think the biggest area of information missing for parents is in the area of "outcomes." Many charities and even government organizations try to whip up awareness and a sense of urgency in the general public by emphasizing the "worst case" scenarios. Parents are scared to death that their kids won't learn and develop unless extraordinary measures are taken. We do hear about savants and famous people like Einstein, but that really doesn't connect in a meaningful way- how many people really expect their kid to be a genius? I would have liked to see more examples of happy, fulfilled Aspie adults and how they got that way. It would have made me much less anxious in the early years after his diagnosis.

DW_a_mom
Veteran
Veteran

28 Feb 2008, 2:06 pm

I agree with Green, there isn't much out there on outcomes, helping your child live his gifts, and accomodate his burdens. I did find material that noted most Apsies learn to accomodate for their weaknesses, and that many modern inventions probably come from Aspies, and that is what I hooked onto (not sure how common it was, just know that I hooked onto it), but, still, most of that comes informally, not from the descriptive information on the condition.

It's also useful for parents to understand that certain behaviors are necessary to relieve stress or help the child focus. Like chewing, pacing, jumping, or stims. Trying to control these as behavior problems can backfire. That sort of thing I had to learn from Aspies themselves in on-line communities. Similarly with the common missconception that your child isn't trying hard enough; once I read that, it rung so true, but no one had told me that Aspies often appear to be capable of things they really are not.

I think material should focus on the growth that comes from living with someone who thinks outside of the box. It is really illuminating, to see my son think.

ster
Veteran
Veteran

28 Feb 2008, 3:13 pm

alot of the focus tends to be on people who aren't as high functioning as my child.......