US sets record for most adults in jail or prison

Page 2 of 4 [ 49 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

kreb1958
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

05 Mar 2008, 10:46 am

ascan wrote:
kreb1958 wrote:
In USA perhaps there is racism, why else would there be 1 in 9 black men under the age of 30 be in prison?

Why, indeed? Perhaps if your reading took you beyond the Guardian you could answer that one yourself. Probably the same reasons gangs of feral black youths roam London sticking knives into people on a whim.

Thank your your reply.

However, as someone who knows London having lived there most of my life, there are indeed gangs in London, albeit in certains parts such as Brixton and Hackney. The Metropolitan Police knows of at least 100 youth gangs, some black, some asian, some white. Its a turf war mostly, and could be similar to New York gang situation in the 1960s. Contrary, they don't roam London stabbing people. London is as safe as any other large city providing tourists don't venture into large council estates, which are miles away from the major sights.

And yes in the UK the prisons are full, much for the reasons I have suggested, that judges and magistrates are too keen to pass custodial sentences.

ascan
Veteran
Veteran

05 Mar 2008, 2:30 pm

kreb1958 wrote:
...Contrary, they don't roam London stabbing people...

Perhaps not like they used to; I understand they prefer to shoot them, or dash their brains out on a kerb, these days.

kreb1958
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

05 Mar 2008, 3:25 pm

ascan wrote:
kreb1958 wrote:
...Contrary, they don't roam London stabbing people...

Perhaps not like they used to; I understand they prefer to shoot them, or dash their brains out on a kerb, these days.

As I understand it, one is more likely to win the National Lottery than be killed in a gangster drive by shootout. Gansters generally target rival gangsters than innocent people. And Londoners might are more at risk from terrorists than teenage gangsters.

ascan
Veteran
Veteran

05 Mar 2008, 3:42 pm

kreb1958 wrote:
As I understand it, one is more likely to win the National Lottery than be killed in a gangster drive by shootout. Gansters generally target rival gangsters than innocent people. And Londoners might are more at risk from terrorists than teenage gangsters.

I think you'll find there are often several murders a week in London. Moreover, for every murder there'll be dozens left maimed for life in attacks that don't get reported by the media. People who get a knife stuck in them that severs a nerve, a bullet that takes out a kidney, or a beating that leaves them brain damaged, for example. That's the reality of life in urban Britain, and much of it is connected to the multiculturalism that's been forced on us.

Anyway, it doesn't take a phd in maths to see that the probabilty of having your life wrecked by violence is considerably greater than winning the lottery.

kreb1958
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

05 Mar 2008, 5:18 pm

^
Ok, I have done my maths, and revise what I said.

162 homicides in London in a 12 month period from 2006-2007.

Odds of getting murdered in London in a 1 year period is about 43,200:1

Odds of winning National Lottery in London, in 1 year period is about 270,000:1

This does not distract from that if you are a black man under the age of 30 in USA there is 9:1 chance of being in prison.

Just a bit a statistics for the forumites here.

Jkid
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

05 Mar 2008, 7:18 pm

kreb1958 wrote:
The simple solution would be for judges and magistrates to impose non-custodial sentences on minor crimes, ranging from community work, fines, compensations, therapy, remedial courses. Also to get out of the punishment mindset, and have more emphasis on reforming behaviour.

Thats the simple solution. Motivating the judicary is another matter.

In USA perhaps there is racism, why else would there be 1 in 9 black men under the age of 30 be in prison?

Your ideas would be good to implement in the US, but sadly it won't happen because of three words: Prison Industrial Complex.

Putting people in jail, not rehabilitating them, push them out of the streets more violent, and put them back in prison for crimes simply makes money for state governments.

MissConstrue
Veteran
Veteran

05 Mar 2008, 7:24 pm

We also have to keep in mind that there are some things legal in Europe that would be illegal in the US.

chesirecat
Blue Jay
Blue Jay

05 Mar 2008, 8:47 pm

kreb1958 wrote:

Whats not to understand? Have you ever talked to these types of people. They're not in jail because of white racism, they're in jail because of black violence,stupidity,racism, poverty,etc. Crime is mostly about race just like everything else in society.

zendell
Veteran
Veteran

05 Mar 2008, 11:05 pm

What does everyone think about publicly beating criminals in exchange for shorter prison sentences? It would definitely save money and I'm sure a public flogging would be a good deterant. It would also allow their victims to feel they got some justice. I think one reason cops beat criminals is because they know jail isn't much of a punishment for some of them and a beating will mean they got at least some justice. Many criminals are poor and live in ghettos. In jail, they get TV, movies, computers, weight lifting equipment, and a bunch of other things like not having to work. I think they do this in Singapore. I think their crime rate is lower, they save money on prison costs, and I think it's best for criminals, victims, and society. I think locking someone up for 20 years for one mistake like robbing a bank is more cruel than a public flogging followed by a few years in prison.

MusicMaker1
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

06 Mar 2008, 1:34 pm

http://www.kansascity.com/news/nation/story/510837.html

I've heard that there are quite a few people in prison on the autistic spectrum.. Have any studies been done to determine the percentage of prisoners who are on the autistic spectrum? According to this study, as many as 70% of the people in US prisons have at least some type of learning disability. At least one learning disability (Nonverbal learning disability) is considered to be on the Autistic Spectrum. I wish there were more studies on this and that more psychological testing could be conducted in prison. Scroll down to page 8 of this report for info on the results of the study:

http://tinyurl.com/25z5tc

It is thought that quite a lot of the people in prison could be on the Autistic Spectrum. I was wondering, on the activist side of things, is anyone lobbying to get the prisoners tested for possibly neurological differences and problems? By transferring some of these nonviolent prisoners out to another type of therapeutic facility, it might help to relieve some of the severe prison overcrowding in the U.S.. (as well as help the autistic/learning-disabled prisoners who are probably experiencing even more humiliation and abuse than the general prison population)

As far as public torture, it only makes a society even more sadistic...

ascan
Veteran
Veteran

08 Mar 2008, 11:51 am

zendell wrote:
What does everyone think about publicly beating criminals in exchange for shorter prison sentences?

I think you need to carefully consider the definition of a criminal, first. From a UK perspective, increasingly the government is criminalising ordinary, normally law-abiding, people for political reasons. Anyone can end up in prison, and so be subject to whatever you think "criminals" deserve.

I would support beating certain British politicians, however. I'd pay good money to see the worst of them flogged through the streets.

nirrti_rachelle
Veteran
Veteran

08 Mar 2008, 1:43 pm

chesirecat wrote:
kreb1958 wrote:

Whats not to understand? Have you ever talked to these types of people. They're not in jail because of white racism, they're in jail because of black violence,stupidity,racism, poverty,etc. Crime is mostly about race just like everything else in society.

Okay, I had to sit awhile and think out my response very carefully on this one.

Crime is not a black, white, Hispanic, Asian or whatever problem. It's a human problem. I am so sick sick sick sick sick of people painting crime as something that's mostly about minorities. Where I live, whites think if they can just get further out East away from African-Americans, they'll be safe. But guess what happens? The problems just follow them. Then they move further out and the same thing happens ad nauseum.

I hate it when I walk in a department store and the store clerks assume I'm there to steal....or even when walking in my own neighborhood, which is mostly white, the hired security patrol acts like I'm trespassing. I'm a slightly-built, college-educated woman who would rather put a spider crawling in my house outside rather than killing it. What could I possibly do to them?

I wish we could just see each other as all being the same race of hairless apes trying to survive this difficult world. :(

zendell
Veteran
Veteran

08 Mar 2008, 3:13 pm

ascan wrote:
I would support beating certain British politicians, however. I'd pay good money to see the worst of them flogged through the streets.

:lol: I'm sure many Americans would pay good money to see Bush flogged in the streets

zendell
Veteran
Veteran

08 Mar 2008, 4:23 pm

nirrti_rachelle wrote:
chesirecat wrote:
kreb1958 wrote:

Okay, I had to sit awhile and think out my response very carefully on this one.

Crime is not a black, white, Hispanic, Asian or whatever problem. It's a human problem. I am so sick sick sick sick sick of people painting crime as something that's mostly about minorities. Where I live, whites think if they can just get further out East away from African-Americans, they'll be safe...

I understand what you're saying and it's unfortunate that you're treated differently because of your skin color. I agree that crime is a human problem that occurs in all races and that there is crime in every neighborhood. I think the reason some people are like you described is because FBI crime statistics, supported by population surveys where they randomally asked people if they have been a victim of a crime and the race, age, and other characteristics of the person who committed the crime, show that crime rates vary widely among different groups of people.

University sociology classes teach that the top 3 demographic characteristics that influence crime rates in the US are race, age, and gender.

According to FBI crime statistics and population surveys:
African-Americans commit about 8x as much crime as white Americans.
Males commit about 8x as much crime as females.
People aged 13-29 commit more crimes than other age groups.

The reason people paint crime as mostly about minorities is because the FBI crime statistics and population surveys state that blacks and Hispanics commit the majority of the crime in the US. I'm sure there are plenty of females who paint crime as mostly about males becauses males commit the majority of the crimes. The reason some whites move away from blacks is to protect their families from being victims of crime. Crime rates are, on average, higher in black neighborhoods compared to white neighborhoods. I know several blacks and hispanics who live in white neighborhoods to get away from the crime.

I wish things weren't like they are and hope they change in the future. I treat everyone as individuals and wish everyone else did also.

Silver_Meteor
Veteran
Veteran

09 Mar 2008, 10:20 pm

2006 The violent crime top 20 most dangerous Metropolitan Statistical Areas in terms of rates per 100,000.
Source: Crimetrends.com

1st: Memphis, TN-MS-AR M.S.A.
2nd: Sumter, SC M.S.A.
3rd: Shreveport-Bossier City, LA M.S.A.
4th: Florence, SC M.S.A.
5th: Saginaw-Saginaw Township North, MI M.S.A.
6th: Alexandria, LA M.S.A.
7th: Gainesville, FL M.S.A.
8th: Anchorage, AK M.S.A.
9th: Flint, MI M.S.A.
10th: Salisbury, MD M.S.A.
11th: Stockton, CA M.S.A.
12th: Little Rock-North Little Rock-Conway, AR M.S.A.
13th: Jackson, TN M.S.A.
14th: Orlando-Kissimmee, FL M.S.A.
15th: Las Vegas-Paradise, NV M.S.A.
16th: Lubbock, TX M.S.A.
17th: Pine Bluff, AR M.S.A.
18th: Texarkana, TX-Texarkana, AR M.S.A.
19th: Lawton, OK M.S.A.
20th: Nashville-Davidson?Murfreesboro-Franklin, TN M.S.A

http://www.crimetrends.com/id4.html

Syd
Veteran
Veteran

09 Mar 2008, 11:31 pm

Silver_Meteor wrote:
10th: Salisbury, MD M.S.A.

Ah yes, the crown jewel of smoke-filled, roach infested hotels catering to Ocean City tourists. I can already smell the annual summer migration of suburbanite drones, their putrid skin soaked with Banana Boat Tanning Oil bought at a 50% discount from Walmart, stains of barbecue sauce courtesy of Burger King adorn their collared polo shirts like war badges.

Just imagine the American Revolutionaries donned in their powdery grandma wigs, scoffing down at us today, knowing this is what they fought so hard for. Perhaps it's all too fitting that Maryland is shaped like a gun. But unlike Budd Dwyer, I've no legitimate use for such a weapon. I'd rather be an acorn than a bullet, then I could roll away to Vermont and find a warm place to sprout.