Page 3 of 4 [ 61 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Have you attempted suicide?
Yes, seriously and more than once 12%  12%  [ 11 ]
Yes, seriously, once 19%  19%  [ 18 ]
Yes, but I have not actually wanted to die (attention-seeking, etc.) 4%  4%  [ 4 ]
No, but I injure myself purposefully regularly 9%  9%  [ 8 ]
No, but I did injure myself purposefully in the past 21%  21%  [ 20 ]
No, none of above 35%  35%  [ 33 ]
Total votes : 94

markaudette
Veteran
Veteran

01 Mar 2008, 3:44 am

Thought about suicide a hell of a lot but never acted on it at all.

Sora
Veteran
Veteran

01 Mar 2008, 8:45 am

I did want to, at age 11/12, until I noticed this nasty detail that though it would make everyone else disappear indeed - that I'd die. I didn't want to get hurt or be dead though!

I didn't make the connection: suicide = dead.

I still have trouble making this connection. I just recently said I wanted to die in a bad meltdown, but I didn't want to be dead, instead I meant that I wish everyone would just disappear from the face of this world.

How many people are as stupid as me when it comes to this... I doubt anyone else is.

violentcloud
Veteran
Veteran

01 Mar 2008, 10:09 am

gwenevyn wrote:
For future reference, it's against WP rules to post suicide tips or instructions. Several posts had to be split off from this thread.

What about posting tips on which methods of suicide really aren't a good idea? Without also recommending the better ones, that is.

Tim_Tex
Veteran
Veteran

01 Mar 2008, 11:16 am

Never attempted it.

Now proficient in ChatGPT!

CockneyRebel
Veteran
Veteran

01 Mar 2008, 11:17 am

violentcloud wrote:
gwenevyn wrote:
For future reference, it's against WP rules to post suicide tips or instructions. Several posts had to be split off from this thread.

What about posting tips on which methods of suicide really aren't a good idea? Without also recommending the better ones, that is.

There might be a member who will try them. Not the jolly CockneyRebel, but there might be a very young member in their teens, who might decide that they have enough with life, and decide to follow the tips.

Bluesummers
Veteran
Veteran

01 Mar 2008, 12:16 pm

I guess ultimately, those things don't have any place here. Dunno why...if someone is suicidal, they will try it...better they know the right way of doing it, rather than trying something stupid and leaving themselves permanently injured and worse off than when they started.

Right? :?

gwenevyn
l'esprit de l'escalier
l'esprit de l'escalier

01 Mar 2008, 1:15 pm

violentcloud wrote:
gwenevyn wrote:

If the aim or net effect is to circumvent the rule without "technically" breaking it, then no.

Bluesummers wrote:
I guess ultimately, those things don't have any place here. Dunno why...if someone is suicidal, they will try it...better they know the right way of doing it, rather than trying something stupid and leaving themselves permanently injured and worse off than when they started.

I'm sure there are liability issues. Regardless of the broad range of personal views on suicide, some measure of adherence to societal values is necessary if we wish to keep our doors open for other discussions.

Aside from that... I'm sure we can think of many other examples of destructive things that people will attempt whether or not we help them, many of which are more hazardous without instruction. It doesn't necessarily stand to follow that we should help them out. People looking for that sort of information can find it easily when they want it. We can harm people or sway people who might have otherwise made different choices, if we give them advice they didn't request.

Bluesummers
Veteran
Veteran

01 Mar 2008, 1:56 pm

It's such a delicate subject. Especially considering the forum in which it's being represented. Conundrum.

Quote:
It doesn't necessarily stand to follow that we should help them out. People looking for that sort of information can find it easily when they want it. We can harm people or sway people who might have otherwise made different choices, if we give them advice they didn't request.

I can't completely agree. A person in that position needs all the help they can get, and since it's foolish to believe this World is anything close to perfect, life and living may very well be the worst case scenario to them.

Though I know people may just be confused at the moment, it reminds me of my own personal experience. I told someone very close to me that I couldn't take it anymore, that I was sorry for failing and just can't deal with it anymore. Yet upon reaching Death's door, I turned back.

I was fine at that moment, well as much as I could be. I was pretty drunk, so I ended up passing out. I remember being awoken by the sound of police violently beating on my door. I knew why they were there, and went to settle the confusion.

Despite explaining myself, I wound up in handcuffs with them all looking down on me. I was outraged at being in such a position...how dare they? They don't know what I feel, what I've been through, and what I would do.

Still in handcuffs and being treated as some sort of criminal, they admitted me to the "loony bin." My first time there, I always knew I should never expose what I truly feel, for I'd end up here. Their only answer to my reasoning, was to drug me. I resisted as much as I could, until I realized I had no choice.

I can't remember how long I was there, as I continued to be drugged. The only thing I remember is sleeping a lot, and eagerly awaiting the time of my next dose of oblivion. I'd lie to the person handing out the drugs at times, saying I was feeling very unstable and needed another dose. I didn't want to be there, it was doing me no good.

The "therapist," or rather, the person in charge vexed me. When I first tried to explain what I feel, I saw the hostility and condescension in his tone and how he looked at me. From that first reaction, I faked whatever I thought he wanted to hear. I'd get out of there no other way.

So what did all this help get me? A diagnosis of "Alcohol withdrawal." Meanwhile at that point in my life, I never drank, and I hated it. I got drunk that day because the only person I had ever really loved, was leaving me that very day, and did.

Discharged, and given anti-depressants. I think it was a 2-month supply. They did nothing, and though I may have wanted to refill the prescription, I just didn't know how. Those pills were the last bit of "help" received, not a single person from that institution did anything to really help thereafter.

And then I find in the mail...a bill of $5,000, which I could never possibly pay. My credit, ruined. All because I opened up for a moment, and then was imprisoned and drugged against my will. My thoughts never changed for a moment, and still don't. The only reason I disregard my suicidal thoughts is because I have a greater responsibility now than that of myself.

So, what's right in this regard? Looking back, and looking ahead at my life...the s**t simply won't stop. That "help" I received did nothing but damn me further. But at least I'm alive, right? Alive and fully capable of feeling all of this s**t.

gypsyRN
Toucan
Toucan

04 Mar 2008, 2:18 am

i did, once, and it was a huge turning point for me...13-14 years, methinks.

still think about it, even though i wouldn't do it...to me it's the ultimate admission of defeat and being useless. I don't like to keep loaded guns around me.

Shenzie
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

04 Mar 2008, 2:22 am

I think Im gonna do that right know Good bye world

MissConstrue
Veteran
Veteran

04 Mar 2008, 3:18 am

Yes, many times. They mostly happened when I got so drunk. One reason why I can't drink anymore. I've been in and out of hospitals 4 times and into 2 shelters. Not fun when you're on suicide watch either. Now I'm sober and I still have scars on my wrists. You can barely notice them but I've been asked a couple of times what happened. It's strange, I never thought I'd get over this stage of wanting to end it all. Now I want to live. At times, it's hard because I let ppl and things get to me. I have to keep reminding myself not to let this happen. I'm also trying to learn to be more spiritual now but it still confuses me.

Purplefluffychainsaw
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

04 Mar 2008, 4:41 am

Three times sober, and once drunk (which was more of attention seeking than any of the others - getting drunk for the first time when you're surrounded by three of your crushes, two of whom are hitting on everyone /except/ you isn't good for you).

I took overdoses, once in the autumn of 2005, and then two more in a couple of weeks in feb. 2006. Didn't do anything except make me sick and stop me from taking painkillers in the future though! Damn my metabolism digesting everything up to and including metal and plastic. >>

Quite glad I failed now though, now that things are getting better. It amused me for a while that no one noticed at all.

I've also been cutting myself since I was fourteen, but that's for different reasons all together (ie, stress relief). I've stopped at the request of my boyfriend for now.

Trigger11
Veteran
Veteran

04 Mar 2008, 3:49 pm

Never attempted, but loaded a shotgun and stuck it to my head once. Pretty stupid.

five_squared
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker

05 Mar 2008, 8:19 am

No, but I injure myself purposefully regularly :/

deathchibi
Veteran
Veteran

01 Apr 2008, 6:34 am

nail through juggular

LiendaBalla
Veteran
Veteran

01 Apr 2008, 9:06 am

I tried in a way before, long ago, but I was too afraid to actauly shove the knife into my gutt. It would have hurt alot anyway.

I voted number four though, because I self-injure regularily almost. This part of it isn't attempted suicide, it's so I can stop feeling like a horrible person. One night, recently, I nicked my leg just to get to sleep. *shrug* The material world is hell isn't it? Money is really more a curse for me than a blessing.

My sister had a friend that lived next door to a little family, whoes father shot himself on the back porch, over a #@$% financial matter! I need not get started on the trama those two girls had to cope with. Especialy from the fact that the other dad prior died, burning to death by accident. :cry: That's so messed up... When I heard about it I thought "8O WHAT?!"

Last edited by LiendaBalla on 01 Apr 2008, 10:03 am, edited 5 times in total.