Page 1 of 1 [ 16 posts ] 

mom2bax
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

02 Mar 2008, 11:45 pm

so even when we ( i or my parents) give my son a time limit, or timeframe, or 5-10-15 minute warning he still throws a fit almost every time he has to come off the computer. it almost seems like the longer he's on the harder it is to get him off without a huge tantrum.
he's 4 years old dx AS.
any help would be appreciated.

Smelena
Cure Neurotypicals Now!
Cure Neurotypicals Now!

03 Mar 2008, 12:15 am

Have you tried a timer .... then he can see the minutes ticking down.

Maybe visual presentation will work better than reading the information verbally.

I have 2 sons with Asperger's and find written/visual information gets processed much more than verbal instructions.

Good luck!
Helen

aurea
Veteran
Veteran

03 Mar 2008, 2:25 am

Hi
Smelena is right. At 4 5 minutes means nothing. In fact a lot of people have problems with the concept of time. Can you show him on the computer? Point out the clock, and write down when he will need to get off. Then perhaps tell him that if he cooperates nicely this time he can have a little longer next time. Just a suggestion.

MrMark
Veteran
Veteran

03 Mar 2008, 8:35 am

My neighbor's son is ADD. When he's having fun and it's time to go soon, he gives him a 30 minute warning, a 15 minute warning, and a 5 minute warning. He says that works well. In your case, it might be a control issue. Since he's developmentally delayed, you might be in an extended version of the terrible twos. If that's the case, it's important to let him have his way sometimes, but never because he has a meltdown.

- Emerson

shaggydaddy
Toucan
Toucan

03 Mar 2008, 8:52 am

is he getting enough computer time? he seems to be voicing his desire to spend a lot more time on the computer. I remember when I was 4 I spent 2-3 hours per day on the computer.

spyder774
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

03 Mar 2008, 8:56 am

We used to have this problem with my partners kids all the time (one AS and one NT), they both kicked up and argued back when told it was time to get off the computer. Now we have a parental control program installed which controls their time. They get countdown warnings that their time is about to expire then the PC shuts itself down. It's been accepted far more easily than we thought. I know your son is very young and it may not work for him, but maybe he'll respond better to the computer itself telling him it's time to get off than he does to a person telling him. Just a thought...

ster
Veteran
Veteran

03 Mar 2008, 1:06 pm

try a timer......but realize he's 4. tantrums will happen. continue to keep consistent limits on him. make certain that he's aware of these limits. when he's not on the computer, try talking to him about the computer. ask why he has trouble....you might be surprised with an answer.

Vexcalibur
Veteran
Veteran

03 Mar 2008, 11:37 pm

There are programs to make computers lock automatically after X time. Try them, but do not forget the visual timer so he can actually have some idea of how much time is left.

He is just 4 so I doubt he hacks the software, and if he does you should consider giving him a lot more time with the computer and put him in a good school :)

spyder774
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

04 Mar 2008, 4:58 am

[quote="Vexcalibur"]There are programs to make computers lock automatically after X time. Try them, but do not forget the visual timer so he can actually have some idea of how much time is left.

The program we use actually gives visual reminders. You can set it to give the reminders at specific intervals and it flashes up a big box giving the time left. We have ours set for 15,10, and 5 minute reminders, which gives plenty of time to save homework or finish whatever else they are doing.

mom2bax
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

04 Mar 2008, 11:29 pm

spyder774: what is the name of the program you are talking about? and where can i find it?

ster: i will have to talk to him about the computer
but often he gets upset brcasue he didn't get a certain score or something. before we have to get off.

aurea: i would almost disagree as he seems to have a rather good concept of time but maybe knowing time and comprehending it is different.

smelena: i will have to try it but don't always have a timer with me i will have to start bringing one maybe.

the other problem is sometimes he really only gets a 5 minute warning, or a one more game thing. i run an after school program and he stays with me on our computer day we leave when the last child leaves usually sometime between 5:30-6:00 and we need to leave sooner rather than later so the lady who cleans can get in and finished sooner. this is one occasion where we have the most problems.

digger1
Veteran
Veteran

05 Mar 2008, 12:00 am

take away the keyboard or the mouse.

that'll learn him!

Smelena
Cure Neurotypicals Now!
Cure Neurotypicals Now!

05 Mar 2008, 5:09 am

Vexcalibur wrote:
He is just 4 so I doubt he hacks the software, and if he does you should consider giving him a lot more time with the computer and put him in a good school :)

:lol:

If he can hack the software, please send him to my place to give me some more computer training!

Helen

ster
Veteran
Veteran

05 Mar 2008, 6:41 am

can you change the time he's using the computer so that it's consistent ? in other words, change the time to an earlier timeslot at the after school program~ this way there's a definite beginning time and ending time. no arguing with that, and he'll know that he has to get off the computer at, say for example, 4:00................we've had issues here with our 13 year old losing it when he's lost a game, so i don't quite know how to help you there :?

mom2bax
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

05 Mar 2008, 11:19 pm

ster: we're fortunate enough that there are enough computers for everyone so there's no time slots but it's just kind of 2 possible hours of computer time, and not sure if saying "at 5:30 you are done" will work or create a bigger issue. of being in the computer room but not being on the computers.

spyder774
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

06 Mar 2008, 5:16 am

mom2bax wrote:
spyder774: what is the name of the program you are talking about? and where can i find it?

It's available from kidswatch.com. I'm pretty sure you can still download a trial version to try it for a couple of weeks before paying for it. Should be long enough to know if it's going to be of any help.

ster
Veteran
Veteran

06 Mar 2008, 6:53 am

i know you say there's plenty of computers. even if that means he could be on the computer the whole time, then i would still try to explain that he only has a specific amount of time to be on the computer.( a limit you are placing on him to help him with transitions) .... talk to him about what else he could do instead of play computer. let him help you figure out what else he could do. maybe there's a special snack he could have only in the computer lab. or maybe there's a special acitivity that he could do there other than play computer.