An all-out assualt on far-right Christian fundamentalism!! !

Page 3 of 4 [ 60 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Sean
Veteran
Veteran

26 Sep 2005, 2:20 am

Bec wrote:
Are pentecostals the ones who fall to the ground and speak in tongues?

Yeah, that's them. Well, some groups don't fall on thde ground and stuff, but there's still alot of stuff that goes on in their services that I can't find in the Bible.

Tom
Veteran
Veteran

26 Sep 2005, 2:30 am

My parents church was pentocostal. I hated it. I think it's the most aspie-unfriendly enviroment
imaginable, and i will always believe that the falling over and babbling was caused by the persuasive suggestion of the preachers rather than God.

techstepgenr8tion
Veteran
Veteran

26 Sep 2005, 8:19 am

fahreeq wrote:
Sarcastic_Name wrote:
So can anyone define the general meaning of the phrase "Fundamental Christian". I understand what fundamental means, but it seems out of context with what I'm hearing. I've never heard of any Christian who believes everything written in Revelations is meant to be taken literally.

My former church took everything in Revelations literally. The pastor would occasionally have a theme for his sermons, meaning he'd preach on similar topics for several weeks in a row. I remember several end-times themes in his sermons. That type of stuff is part of the reason I started questioning their brand of faith, but that's another story for another day.

They were Pentecostals/Assembly of God, if that makes a difference.

Something I've heard a whole bunch of times over is that John's book of Revelation was really a coded call to arms for the Jews to overthrow the Romans at Harmaghita back in 180 AD. 666 Even came down to the numeric add-up of the roman emperor's name at the time. Don't know if it's a closed arguement or not but I'd imagine as broadly as someone could see what they'd interpret as signs from that in pretty much any times they lived in. Nothing happened NYE 2000, nothing happened 5/5/2000, and I think the only date anyone's a little concerned about these days is December 23, 2012 just based on the Mayan predictions. If that doesn't happen I can see where people are gonna move even farther from all this.

“Love takes off the masks that we fear we cannot live without and know we cannot live within. I use the word "love" here not merely in the personal sense but as a state of being, or a state of grace - not in the infantile American sense of being made happy but in the tough and universal sense of quest and daring and growth.” - James Baldwin

thechadmaster
Veteran
Veteran

26 Sep 2005, 10:46 am

People PLEASE!
Now I am a far right Christian conservative but WHO CARES?
Throughout history people have complicated a VERY simple truth, Jesus died for you so you would not go to hell. He died whether you were liberal or conservative, there is no need to fight over this. Im conservative, Republican but i STILL SIN, when you get to heaven, St. Peter wont ask you what party you joined, he will ask you why you are there, the answer is simple Jesus Christ!

techstepgenr8tion
Veteran
Veteran

26 Sep 2005, 11:50 am

thechadmaster wrote:
People PLEASE!
Throughout history people have complicated a VERY simple truth, Jesus died for you so you would not go to hell. He died whether you were liberal or conservative, there is no need to fight over this. Im conservative, Republican but i STILL SIN, when you get to heaven, St. Peter wont ask you what party you joined, he will ask you why you are there, the answer is simple Jesus Christ!

See, that's the other half of it that bothers me. You have a good point in that it's a simple truth but at the same time if you aren't ardent about social responsibility and aren't trying to do what you can to steer humanity in the right direction (with your votes or otherwise) I don't see how the technicality of the fact that you let Jesus into your heart should be good enough on it's own. People LET this world get this bad and largely because of complaissance, apathy, and giving in because they just weren't strong enough to do the right thing. I'm not trying to pin things down on politics but whatever part of the bible said that it's those who are luke-warm on ethical decisions that the deepest parts of hell are saved for, if there is such a place I think that's about the only fair way.

It would be wrong for a person who lived in a nice pretty little shell of a suburban life who never did anything to make the world a better place aside from just adding more qauint yuppies to go to heaven just on a technicality than someone who was an avid human rights leader, full of compassion, and did everything he could to steer people in a better direction (eg. the Dalai Lama) to go to hell. I don't mean this as an onslaught to you, I at least respect the fact that you have your beliefs pretty well mapped out, but as a guy who was raised and confirmed catholic as well as checking out many other christian denominations I left it for buddhism just because of issues like that.

“Love takes off the masks that we fear we cannot live without and know we cannot live within. I use the word "love" here not merely in the personal sense but as a state of being, or a state of grace - not in the infantile American sense of being made happy but in the tough and universal sense of quest and daring and growth.” - James Baldwin

techstepgenr8tion
Veteran
Veteran

26 Sep 2005, 11:57 am

Sean wrote:
Bec wrote:
Are pentecostals the ones who fall to the ground and speak in tongues?

Yeah, that's them. Well, some groups don't fall on thde ground and stuff, but there's still alot of stuff that goes on in their services that I can't find in the Bible.

You wanna hear something funny? Two of my friends went to a men's retreat last friday overnight with a pentecostal church. When they got back they were talking about the time they had and one of em ended up rehashing an old story. He's in the advertising business, makes signs for companies and such, and he was on the phone at a certain point with the pastor when he was debating with the other pastors on what to call the retreat. My friend liked the idea his pastor had, the other 3 or 4 were still debating it with him while they were on the phone, and my friend decided to be a smartass and say "Ahhh, tell em to go to hell". Lol, suffice to say that'll got some humorous reactions. :lol:

Sean
Veteran
Veteran

26 Sep 2005, 2:30 pm

techstepgenr8tion wrote:
Something I've heard a whole bunch of times over is that John's book of Revelation was really a coded call to arms for the Jews to overthrow the Romans at Harmaghita back in 180 AD. 666 Even came down to the numeric add-up of the roman emperor's name at the time. Don't know if it's a closed arguement or not but I'd imagine as broadly as someone could see what they'd interpret as signs from that in pretty much any times they lived in. Nothing happened NYE 2000, nothing happened 5/5/2000, and I think the only date anyone's a little concerned about these days is December 23, 2012 just based on the Mayan predictions. If that doesn't happen I can see where people are gonna move even farther from all this.

The book of Revelation was written areound 90AD and I've never heard that theory about it being a call to overthrow the romans. The Jews were kicked out of Israel and scattered all over the known world in 70AD, so I strongly doubt they would have been able to organize any sot of rebellion. Oh and the dates you mentined were all invented later by man. The one about 12/23/2012 (I heard 12/21) was a Mayan creation myth that was revived by some hippie in the '60s that ODed on wild mushrooms.

techstepgenr8tion
Veteran
Veteran

26 Sep 2005, 2:46 pm

Sean, that 1st one I mentioned was from the History channel. It was one of those archaeology type shows where they tried to forensicly take clues and reassemble the facts much like they have with the Egyptians, Athenians, Romans, etc. It may or may not have been aimed to the jews specifically as a finite group, it's been a minute since I caught the show. You'd have to look at the history channel's site and see if you can find the name of the show or if there are any books on it. I just remember it was a good show and they made a lot of other points that were pretty compelling.

Mich
Veteran
Veteran

27 Sep 2005, 7:07 pm

Mich wrote:
I agree.

The fundamentals send the wrong image about Christianity. They make people think it's a cult by acting superior to others (sometimes proclaiming that they are God themselves, which is a violation of the Scriptures), being extremely preachy, and tackling controversial issues (some of which are controversies that go on for some reason I cannot understand, such as the whole gay-marriage thing, which was probably started to drive conservatives [and, to some extent, liberals] nuts).

Take http://www.capalert.com for an example. It definitely sends the wrong image. It seems really exaggerated and scares those atheists away from Christianity even more. The same old preachiness about the media has probably scared at least one person (even a Christian themselves) away from religion. What a bad idea if you want to Save people!

As you can see, fundamentalists are likely actually having the reverse effect that they want (making people reject Christianity and think it as something that turns you into a nut).

Regarding what I said earlier, I found a preachier site:

http://www.crossroad.to/

Articles worth noting are these ones:

"Edutainment: How the Teletubbies Teach Children" -- How are toddlers supposed to know, let alone remember, this stuff?
"Sailor Moon: The Truth behind the tempting tale" -- Informative, until the last two paragraphs, which likely send the wrong message about Christianity, yet they seem to be true about these fundamentals (Christians that make fun of their own religion and send the wrong message about it).

There you have my extension. Feel free to comment on it.

Sarcastic_Name
Veteran
Veteran

27 Sep 2005, 7:26 pm

thechadmaster wrote:
People PLEASE!

I thought you were Catholic? I consider that a completely different religion, but I don't want to split the topic by ranting about why.

Mithrandir
Veteran
Veteran

27 Sep 2005, 7:43 pm

I find alot of similarities between goodness in Christianity and the
Four Noble Truths/Noble Eight fold path of Budhism.

Are we willing to accept different cultures and philosophies?

BlackLiger
Veteran
Veteran

28 Sep 2005, 11:23 am

I personally blame the world's problems on morons. After all, THEY ARE THE MAJORITY.

Meh, christian fundamentalists, I like. Christian Fundamentalists who think their religion should be forced upon others, I file under morons...

That is

Revolution
-People to kill
--Morons
---Christian Fundamentalists who try to spread their religion by force
---The US gov
---All other morons

Note, the 1st 2 subcats to morons can be exchanged, ATM.

And I have many a debate with christian fundamentalists. Heck, I know a christian fundamentalist (The Reverend John), and I debate with him a lot. Doesn't stop us being freinds. Heck, I'm supposed to do a website for his band... :D

Sean
Veteran
Veteran

28 Sep 2005, 12:10 pm

BlackLiger wrote:

You can't spread Christianinty by force. God wants people to follow him out of their own free will. It is possible, however, to build a legal system around Christianity.

BlackLiger
Veteran
Veteran

28 Sep 2005, 5:29 pm

Sean wrote:
BlackLiger wrote:

You can't spread Christianinty by force. God wants people to follow him out of their own free will. It is possible, however, to build a legal system around Christianity.

Well, lets go tell that to the people in your country who think its a good idea to point guns at none christians, shall we?......

ed
Veteran
Veteran

28 Sep 2005, 6:06 pm

build a legal system around christianity, Sean???

I suppose the penalty for adultery would be stoning.

What's the penalty for not believing there is a god?

And pity the poor homosexuals!

I don't think that's a very good idea.

Tak
Toucan
Toucan

28 Sep 2005, 7:05 pm

ed wrote:
build a legal system around christianity, Sean???

I suppose the penalty for adultery would be stoning.

What's the penalty for not believing there is a god?

And pity the poor homosexuals!

I don't think that's a very good idea.

He'd LOVE it he could go to the stonings every day!

And when he wanted a new girlfriend all he woud have to do is rape her and then pay the father for damages! "none of that sloppy getting involved"

he could kill fags and abuse women all in easy distance from his home, hed have a blast! : /