Page 1 of 1 [ 6 posts ] 

Douglas_MacNeill
Veteran
Veteran

04 Mar 2008, 5:25 pm

I found a potentially interesting paper by a professor of sociology at
Wilfred Laurier University (Waterloo, ON) entitled "'Surplus Suffering':
differences between organizational understandings of Asperger's
syndrome and those who claim the 'disorder'".

Try the following weblink for a pdf copy of the article:

http://www.informaworld.com/smpp/ftinte ... =713240930

If you can't get a copy of it through this link, please let me know.

Bozewani
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

04 Mar 2008, 6:14 pm

Great article, except I do not want to pay $28

Jeyradan
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

04 Mar 2008, 7:57 pm

I read it, thinking to post excerpts of the most significant stuff (it's not copyright if it's less than 10% of the article). I wasn't overly impressed.
I mean, the observations are valid: yes, most people seem to be okay with themselves, but on the other hand, there is a lot of anxiety and questioning that goes hand-in-hand with that. However, the article itself had misspellings (notably: Asperger, in an article exclusively about AS!) and some other things that made me wonder whether it had been peer-reviewed.

I think it's good, though, that at least the research is being done.

WurdBendur
Veteran
Veteran

04 Mar 2008, 9:43 pm

[quote="Jeyradan"]it's not copyright if it's less than 10% of the article[/quote]

Wrong. Surely you have to have permission to use any excerpt, except under [url=http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fair_use]Fair use[/url].

[quote][A] reviewer may fairly cite largely from the original work, if his design be really and truly to use the passages for the purposes of fair and reasonable criticism. On the other hand, it is as clear, that if he thus cites the most important parts of the work, with a view, not to criticize, but to supersede the use of the original work, and substitute the review for it, such a use will be deemed in law a piracy....[/quote]

Jeyradan
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

04 Mar 2008, 11:56 pm

Okay. I didn't source my comment - it's something I was told in a class. No guarantees!

Heta
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

05 Mar 2008, 8:32 am

They seem to have very positive aims:

Quote:
"The present research notes that various organizations ostensibly designed to help those with AS often ‘compound the impairments of disabled people by creating and reinforcing an environment in which they are rendered socially dependent’ (Drake, 1996, p. 19). In these ways charities can be seen as sometimes contributing to the ‘surplus’ suffering of the individuals they are designed to serve.
Practically, these results can be used by both organizations devoted to AS and Aspies themselves as a way to open the discussion of some of their conflicting perspectives in order to move towards the desired social and policy changes."

They certainly provide some useful vocabulary and conceptual framework that can help people to discuss these matters. The one problem I have with this article is that they have only focused on the AS / Aspie terms, apparently ignorant of the fact that many of us use 'autistic' for the whole spectrum.