Hm. Strange-ish question about childcare

Page 1 of 1 [ 7 posts ] 

Mikhaillost
Toucan
Toucan

05 Mar 2008, 3:39 pm

No I do not have children. I was wondering though if there was some way I could do volunteer work, maybe work with an Aspie or Autie. I am an Aspie, so I think I would have some valuable insight to how their behavior is. Seeing as I have never met another though, I might just be making it up.

So I guess my real questions are: (Words in apostrophies are words that I couldn't find the right word for and settled for a less specific one for)
1) As an Aspie/HFA do you find you are more easily able to understand/'communicate' with Lower functioning people?
2) Do you think I could offer my 'advantage' as a service to parents with Autie/Aspie children?

AndersTheAspie
Veteran
Veteran

05 Mar 2008, 4:28 pm

1: I guess so, I mean they are just people, people have to be really low functioning for them to be impossible to understand or communicate with.
2: Sure, the purpose of life is to help eachother out. If you feel like that is where you can do the most good, then go for it. There are plenty of parents who could use some help, if you think you can help, then do it.

greendeltatke
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

05 Mar 2008, 5:08 pm

Speaking as a parent, I would be thrilled to have an Aspie teenager help out with my kids. What you need to do is find an organization that is already helping kids and offer to volunteer. Do you live in the US? Here's one idea: Most big cities here have SRAs (Special Recreation Associations) that are affliated with the park districts. My local one trains teenage volunteers to help with programming for kids like swimming lessons, summer camps, parent date nights, etc. I know that they include former participants as volunteers. One program we took had a nonverbal autistic working there. My kids really connect with the volunteers, and I am always glad for them to have an opportunity to meet nice older kids who accept them.

Zonder
Veteran
Veteran

05 Mar 2008, 5:25 pm

It's great that you want to get involved, Mikhaillost, and you might find that you relate better to the kids than someone who is NT.

Z

Edit; Not tracking well today . . . .

Last edited by Zonder on 05 Mar 2008, 5:49 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Mikhaillost
Toucan
Toucan

05 Mar 2008, 5:41 pm

greendeltatke wrote:
Speaking as a parent, I would be thrilled to have an Aspie teenager help out with my kids. What you need to do is find an organization that is already helping kids and offer to volunteer. Do you live in the US? Here's one idea: Most big cities here have SRAs (Special Recreation Associations) that are affliated with the park districts. My local one trains teenage volunteers to help with programming for kids like swimming lessons, summer camps, parent date nights, etc. I know that they include former participants as volunteers. One program we took had a nonverbal autistic working there. My kids really connect with the volunteers, and I am always glad for them to have an opportunity to meet nice older kids who accept them.

That is interesting. I am verbal, but sort of in a scrambled way. I have to ramble a lot to get my point across. I will be living in a city starting in july or so (college), so I will look into it then. Thank you.

Ana54
Veteran
Veteran

05 Mar 2008, 11:00 pm

I'd like to have Aspie identical twins so that they can be partners in gym class and help each other out and defend each other on the playgroud and that. :)

But yeah, I trust myself with autistic kids more that I'd trust an NT. :)

Now feel really mean. But I just mean in general. This doesn't apply if the NT was totally talented and committed and devoted, but then would they be NT?

Mikhaillost
Toucan
Toucan

06 Mar 2008, 6:46 am

Lol. I know what you mean Ana. I have the same feelings. I have two NT friends that aren't annoying and are very loyal. It's sort of astounding. Every other NT in my area will, without exception, have a problem or two. And they are all so whiney. I could sum up everyone in my school... Let see. All the girls are absued by their boyfriends who they are marrying because they are pregnant... All the boys are on drugs to be cool... And of course none of this is true... -hates school- Sorry I am rantings for some reason.