Page 1 of 1 [ 4 posts ] 

MissConstrue
Veteran
Veteran

07 Mar 2008, 4:17 pm

OK, well I feel like I'm getting no where in my job. Not only does it not pay well, but they've made me a floater. This means there's going to be times where I'm only needed part time. Well, I wanted to go back to college but it's expensive and I learn differently. My therapist said I should try Vocational Rehab. It's a program for those with disabilities. Now I had gone to Vocational Rehab years ago before I was diagnosed for aspergers. All they did was help me by filling out applications and then drive me around places where there was work wanted. Now that I'm diagnosed, I've heard they can also do job training. I was wondering if anyone has done Vocational Rehab and how its helped them. I also wouldn't mind some feedback.

liberty
Supporting Member
Supporting Member

07 Mar 2008, 4:59 pm

I had a serious physical injury on the job years ago. After the recovery was "complete", I was not able to go back to the types of work I had experience with, because they were all physical. I went to Vocational Rehab and asked for training "for something I can do sitting down". I ended up getting computer training and have been in the IT field ever since. It turned out I had a natural talent for it I was completely unaware of.

I have not had any interaction w/ Voc Rehab since my diagnosis w/ Asergers. I'm not sure it would help at all, since I have found my own ways to cope over the years. But, it is something I occasionally consider.

I say try it. The worst thing they can do is turn down your request for help.

fallensamurai
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker

07 Mar 2008, 5:04 pm

I'm currently working with Vocational Rehabilitation. They are helping pay for me to go to college to get a bachelor's degree. I've found it well worth it.

MissConstrue
Veteran
Veteran

07 Mar 2008, 6:04 pm

Well, these sound like positives.