Page 1 of 3 [ 39 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3  Next

hecate
Veteran
Veteran

28 Sep 2005, 3:00 am

this is a list of a few things i would like to experience in my life time. i would like to know what other people here hope to do before they croak.

* see a tornado.
i know if i actually got to see one i would probably be scared to death but i'm still very curious.

* witness a total eclipse of the sun.
i saw a partial solar eclipse six years ago but this has not satisfied me!

* hug a monkey.
people who talk about "swimming with dolphins" as though it's the ultimate experience bore me. can a stupid dolphin swing from a tree and peel bananas? no!

* make love.
i know what it's like to have sex but i want to know what it feels like to experience an emotional connection during the process.

* act in a play.
i performed in a couple of plays when i was at school, it would be nice to do something similar again.

ajs_line_of_silver
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

28 Sep 2005, 6:05 am

Quote:
hug a monkey.

Yes yes yes when I was younger I went to the zoo and they were letting people hold orangatans but they would not let me cos I hade the chicken pocks it has always made me sad that I did not get the chance I hope I will one day.

I want to be able to express my self creatively to my full potential.
I want to visit Canada agene and meet my relatives over there
I want to swim with sharks
I want to make an animal doco

Soma
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

28 Sep 2005, 6:16 am

My top 10?

1: Read the bible cover to cover. -already done!
2: Climbed the Sydney harbour bridge. -again, done!
3: Go backpacking
4: Be able to speak fluent pig-latin
5: Be able to speak fluent elvish, in both dialects
6: Record own commercially released cd, starring self
7: Go on 'round world backpacking adventure
8: Buy and ride a Vespa
9: To have gloried God in all that I've done
10: To have lived a happy, full, fufilling life.

Henry David Thoureau, 1854

PhoenixKitten
Veteran
Veteran

28 Sep 2005, 10:00 am

hecate wrote:
can a stupid dolphin swing from a tree and peel bananas? no!

No indeed! Honestly, all a stupid dolphin can do is communicate with it's friends using imperceptable sonar waves!

eamonn
Veteran
Veteran

28 Sep 2005, 12:34 pm

Monkeys are brilliant. I was at a zoo and a cleaner was washing the windows with a cloth and a couple of the monkeys impersonated the cleaner, using the bits of fruit they were eating as a substitute for the cloth they rubbed it in a circular motion against the window, it looked like they were laughing too with their teeth showing and the noises they made.

chamoisee
Veteran
Veteran

28 Sep 2005, 1:05 pm

Walk on a beach and pick up seashells to bring home.

Show my dairy goats at the National Show. I don't expect to win grand champion, but if they just placed reasonably well and I coudl deal with the extreme stress of such a large show, it'd be an accomplishment. I also have breeding goals for my dairy goats, but I don't think they'd mean much here except to other dairy goat breeders.

I'd like to be a dairy goat judge I know I have the brain and eye for this, but it woudl mostly be a challenge on a social, public level. You have to get in front of a crowd of people with a microphone and tell thenm why the goats are being placed as they are, in a tactful and objective way that doesn't offend people. There are a number of judges who are unethical or biased or overlook serious faults, and I would want to be fair and as honest about it as possible.

To try my hand at pottery and staind glass. And maybe glass blowing...and a number of other fun things...

Go to some of the art museums, including the Art Institute in Chicago.

I'd like to have a place of our own with acreage, and a house built by us, and to landscape the grounds with lots of trees and perennials and bulbs and really make a calming oasis and showcase out of it...To have garden paths and benches and something pleasant and new (for the season) at every time of the year.

If I ever get enough money, I'd like to make a public garden- preferably a botanical garden or arboraetum, but if time and finances preclude this, then something less ambitious would be nice, too. Ideally there would be a big reading room with gardening books and resources, classes, a greenhouse with exotic or tender plants on display, as well as native and hardy flora outside.

To devote more time to art and really paint Not necessarily as a sole means of support, just...seriously.

Last but definitely not least, I'd like to see all my kids get a decent education and go to college or develop a good vocation or job skills if college isn't necessary.

I have no idea how I am going to do or afford all these things....but I have accomplished many of the goals that I had 2-3 years ago. There is probably more, but this is all I can think of right now! :P

NeantHumain
Veteran
Veteran

28 Sep 2005, 1:08 pm

Soma wrote:
3: Go backpacking

I've already done that one for years in school. I still do it now that I'm college. Going backpacking is the best way to carry your stuff on campus!

It might be fun to go backpacking in the mountains someday, too.

NeantHumain
Veteran
Veteran

28 Sep 2005, 1:11 pm

eamonn wrote:
Monkeys are brilliant.

Where's your Monkey Einstein then? :P

Dej
Pileated woodpecker
Pileated woodpecker

28 Sep 2005, 1:39 pm

I would like to travel and visit:

The Great Wall of China
The Sidney Opera House
The Leaning Tower of Pisa
The Syphinx
The Big Ben in London

Graduate with my MA degree

Open my own ESL Language School

and

Adopt two children from Asia

eamonn
Veteran
Veteran

28 Sep 2005, 3:41 pm

NeantHumain wrote:
Where's your Monkey Einstein then? :P

Einstein was a monkey, particularly if the much fantasised ideas about autistics being neanderfalls and Einstein having an ASD turn out to be true. It's probably the case that were all evolved from monkeys anyway due to the theory of evolution. Were all just a bunch of monkeys! Deal with it! :)

vetivert
Veteran
Veteran

28 Sep 2005, 4:07 pm

apes, not monkeys.

eamonn
Veteran
Veteran

28 Sep 2005, 4:25 pm

Someone's trying to make a monkey out of me! :jester:

BlackLiger
Veteran
Veteran

28 Sep 2005, 5:23 pm

Dej, just to inform you, its not THE Big Ben. Big Ben is the bell, the tower is actually called The Tower of Westminster.

Bec
Veteran
Veteran

28 Sep 2005, 5:41 pm

Visit all the places I want to travel to (basically everywhere).

Scoots5012
Veteran
Veteran

28 Sep 2005, 7:27 pm

Quote:
* see a tornado.
i know if i actually got to see one i would probably be scared to death but i'm still very curious.

It's not that bad, there more awe-inspiring than anything.

I chased one down last summer less than 10 miles from my home. I saw the TV radar at home showing a storm moving in and they said it was tornadic. I calculated the storms path and drove off to a place where I though I could get a good look at it with out getting killed, and sure enough, as it headed my way it produced a tornado and I was lucky enough to see it for about 30 seconds.

Serissa
Veteran
Veteran

28 Sep 2005, 7:50 pm

Publication of my writing. Here is my plan:

Go through years and years of rejecting, revising, and rewriting. Then maybe some short story published in a little magazine that pays me in three contributor's copies. Then, my life's work will be utterly complete, and I'll be able to die in peace.

Oh and be a therapist help people leave the world having done something tiny but positive in it and lose five or ten more pounds. That stuff. The usual.