Page 1 of 2 [ 27 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next

hartzofspace
Supporting Member
Supporting Member

10 Mar 2008, 10:38 am

http://green.yahoo.com/news/nm/20080310 ... ns_dc.html

Of course, it's been a long while since I took organized religion seriously. But I think it's nice of them to voice valid concerns about the environment.

AnonymousAnonymous
Veteran
Veteran

10 Mar 2008, 11:37 am

At least The Vatican is finally beginning to see how important the planet is.

gwenevyn
l'esprit de l'escalier
l'esprit de l'escalier

10 Mar 2008, 11:44 am

Environmental stewardship is something that the Church has been advocating from the pulpit for decades. Apparently the news media just noticed. I wonder why now? Archbishop Girotti's statement sounds fairly routine to me.

Tequila
Veteran
Veteran

10 Mar 2008, 11:45 am

Bloody Rome makes it up as it goes along. Down with orgainsed religion I say.

-
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

10 Mar 2008, 12:28 pm

You mean we could have been sinning all this time, and not known about it? God just didn't bother to tell us until now? Strange... it's almost as if these people are lying about their direct line of communication with heaven...

And does anyone else see the irony in the Catholic church telling people not to play God? :lol:

gwenevyn
l'esprit de l'escalier
l'esprit de l'escalier

10 Mar 2008, 12:37 pm

- wrote:
You mean we could have been sinning all this time, and not known about it? God just didn't bother to tell us until now? Strange... it's almost as if these people are lying about their direct line of communication with heaven...

And does anyone else see the irony in the Catholic church telling people not to play God? :lol:

Know thy enemy, says Sun Tzu.

Fighting against religion is a noble goal, to my mind, but done sloppily it often achieves the opposite of the intended effect. We don't do anybody any favors by debunking things that were never claimed in the first place.

jrknothead
Veteran
Veteran

10 Mar 2008, 1:37 pm

Personally, i think more people would go to confession if the clergy were able to keep their filthy hands off of our little boys' naughty bits...

but thats just my opinion...

Roxas_XIII
Veteran
Veteran

10 Mar 2008, 3:12 pm

Well, I may be a Protestant, but i think the Vatican has the right idea. We should pay more attention to what is happening to the fragile balance of our biosphere. As if Katrina and the other 20+ hurricanes above Class 3 so far this century wasn't enough warning that our planet's climate is starting to destabilize.

Problem is, since it is after all the Vatican saying this, no one but Roman Catholics are going to take them seriously. And how many Catholic people have you seen roaming the streets today? Not a majority, for sure.

Happy New Year from WP's resident fortune-teller! May the cards be ever in your favor.

Ragtime
Veteran
Veteran

10 Mar 2008, 3:18 pm

Roxas_XIII wrote:
Well, I may be a Protestant, but i think the Vatican has the right idea. We should pay more attention to what is happening to the fragile balance of our biosphere. As if Katrina and the other 20+ hurricanes above Class 3 so far this century wasn't enough warning that our planet's climate is starting to destabilize.

Well, the distinction here comes in calling it a sin not to treat our environment with a high respect. Many things are inadvisable while not being sins against God.

Roxas_XIII wrote:
Problem is, since it is after all the Vatican saying this, no one but Roman Catholics are going to take them seriously. And how many Catholic people have you seen roaming the streets today? Not a majority, for sure.

Depends on where you live. :| There are plenty of homeless Catholics in impoverished nations. And the Catholic Church, by discouraging contraception (even in marriage), effectively insists that those families keep breeding, whether they have the money to feed their children or not. From the standpoint of the Vatican, more Catholics is never a bad thing, especially financially.

But, why should religious leaders live in opulence while their supporters live in poverty?

"But Jesus called them unto him, and said, Ye know that the princes of the Gentiles exercise dominion over them, and they that are great exercise authority upon them. But it shall not be so among you: but whosoever will be great among you, let him be your minister; And whosoever will be chief among you, let him be your servant: Even as the Son of man came not to be ministered unto, but to minister, and to give his life a ransom for many" (Matt 20:25-28).

And Jesus knelt down and washed his disciples' dirty feet because he was their spiritual leader.
He chose to die on the cross for them because he was their lord -- the one who loved them most -- not in spite of that lordship.

"And he sat down, and called the twelve, and saith unto them, If any man desire to be first, the same shall be last of all, and servant of all" (Mark 9:35).

Spiritual leaders ought not be endlessly served as a result of their office. On the contrary! They should, firstly, insist that such honors belong to God and God alone, and secondly, they should be the most servile of everyone!

God didn't put the pope in a gold chair to sit there and be honored by the world. That's more Satan's style. When the whole world does honor such a man that way, with nearly complete unity of Earth's entire population, it's time to hold out your wrist to receive your "666" mark.

DejaQ
Veteran
Veteran

10 Mar 2008, 5:06 pm

- wrote:

Yeah, this sort of thing makes me a bit uncomfortable about organized religion. :?

ShadesOfMe
Veteran
Veteran

10 Mar 2008, 6:13 pm

I think it's stupid for them to make up new sins.

sartresue
Veteran
Veteran

10 Mar 2008, 9:12 pm

hartzofspace wrote:
http://green.yahoo.com/news/nm/20080310/hl_nm/pope_sins_dc.html

Of course, it's been a long while since I took organized religion seriously. But I think it's nice of them to voice valid concerns about the environment.

What are the wages if the sinner has not cast the first stone? topic

We will all pay the price is the environment is not cleaned up.What ever one person does affects the other or might even mean that only one person is doing what is right that person is working harder to do what is right. And so the person who is not sinning is disadvantaged, and maybe even discouraged. This is tragic.

I suppose we have all cast the first stone. But then we must stop, and set an example so this violence against the environment does not continue. The Vatican is setting a good example here.

As for the stem cell research, there needs to be more research. If these cells can be obtained in another way which would be less traumatic but still beneficial, I think everyone would be for it. {Ditto for the controversy on unplanned pregnancies, but this is already not an issue in Roman Catholicism, as abortion is not supported in the Catholic System, and there is no compromise.)}

Good topic, hartzofspace.

Phuture Phounder of the Philosophy Phactory

NOT a believer of Mystic Woo-Woo

ShadesOfMe
Veteran
Veteran

10 Mar 2008, 9:36 pm

I'm confused about these new sins. If someone pollutes now, do they go to "hell"? and what about the people who polluted before it was made a sin??? are they in hell or what?

Tensho
Supporting Member
Supporting Member

10 Mar 2008, 11:08 pm

ShadesOfMe wrote:
I'm confused about these new sins. If someone pollutes now, do they go to "hell"? and what about the people who polluted before it was made a sin??? are they in hell or what?

They are probably in heaven right now packing their bags ready for the journey to hell.

ShadesOfMe
Veteran
Veteran

10 Mar 2008, 11:14 pm

Tensho wrote:
ShadesOfMe wrote:

They are probably in heaven right now packing their bags ready for the journey to hell.
I can't tell if your serious or not. :?

Ragtime
Veteran
Veteran

11 Mar 2008, 8:57 am

ShadesOfMe wrote:
Tensho wrote:
ShadesOfMe wrote:

I can't tell if your serious or not. :?

Not.